Thread: Halak or Smith? (3rd String Tender)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Halak or Smith? (3rd String Tender)

I've got Thomas and Hiller who will backstop my team with the most games. I also recently picked up J.Halak in the second game of his 4 game win streak. Recently, the goalie waiver wire in my pool has been going nuts but most goalies were picked up in favour of dropped forwards/defencemen.

Just wondering if you think I should drop Halak for Mike Smith off the waiver-wire before it runs completely dry?..

The Lightning do have the makings of being a Power House this year although their coaching is suspect.
    ”A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” – Wayne Gretzky

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thats a tough question...and I've been pondering M.Smith myself.

If/when Carey Price starts performing, then I would definitley pick up M.Smith instead...but I have heard alot of Niitymaki comments of him being the 1B. Therefore, if Smith falters (even a bit) he could lose a considerable amount of starts.

I would almost be willing to try to roster both of them, rather than flip a coin...but if I had to make a choice it would be.....M.Smith
    10 Team 5 Keeper Roto....Stats are:G,A,+/-,HITS,PPP,SOG,FW and W,SO,GAA,SV%:

C-A.Barkov,V.Trochek,B.Horvat
    RW-A.Svechkinov(LW),T.Bertuzzi(LW),P.Laine(LW)
    LW-B.Marchand,E.Kane(RW),B.Schenn(RW/C)
    F-L.Couture(C)
    D-K.Letang,D.Nurse,M.Seider,N.Pionk
    G-I.Shesterkin.C.Hellebuyck
    BEN-E.Merzlikins(G),K.Kahkonen(G),J.Bratt(LW/RW),T.Toffoli(LW/RW),B.Jenner(LW/C),R.Andersson(D)
    IR-J.Vrana(LW),N.Ehlers(RW/LW)

Dobber Sports Pro

If there is a way you can drop a D-man(kuba?) or a weak forward for Smith, and keep Halak?

I think Smith will be the #1 as long as he's healthy, Tocchet has said several times that Smith is the #1; and hes had 3 great starts in a row(Nittys playing today tho). I'd grab him asap tho.

Halak will get some starts but I still think Mtl will live or die with Price, theyve invested too much into him and he has too much talent to be a backup/tandem goalie.
    Price has really only had 1 bad start(Canucks); and Mtl was terrible that game.

1 thing to take note with Price is that he's only had 2 starts at home and Mtl scored 3 goals in those 2 games, where as Halak started 4 straight games at home; got huge goal support and won them all, then got shelled his first game on the road. If you've followed Mtl at all post-lockout; you know they are usually a completely different team at home; the more starts Price gets in Mtl the more wins he'll start getting.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer