View Poll Results: Would you start Steve Mason vs the Penguins?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I like living life on the edge!

6 37.50%
  • Yes, he's due for a good game.

8 50.00%
  • No, that's not a good matchup.

2 12.50%
  • No! I'm staying away from that disaster!

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: S. Mason vs the Penguins: Ballsy, or just plain stupid?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Whoever opened this thread is an idiot...

seriously, you only want your number 1 goalie to start vs. the islanders because his stats will slump otherwise?

You play your number 1 goalie vs. any team in the league, or obviously he isn't your number 1 goalie.

seriously, some people make me shake my head
    I think it's a bit more complicated than that Dutch, or did you even read the rest of the post?
    Last edited by shook81; October 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Banned

it is plain and simple.

you draft mason as probably your number 1 goalie, you have to stick with that no matter what.

if you're scared his numbers gonna suck, you should have drafted someone else...

Dobber Sports Ace

it is plain and simple.

you draft mason as probably your number 1 goalie, you have to stick with that no matter what.

if you're scared his numbers gonna suck, you should have drafted someone else...
    So if a player is slumping badly, and he is going into a situation where it is not apparent that he will have great success, you will still throw him into it every time? If you only have two netminders to choose from, that's one thing...but a lot of us have other options and picking a choosing optimal or good situations can be key to posting good numbers over the course of a season.

I have spot-started Gustavsson, Auld, and Conklin with great success thus far...I really don't think it's simple that you "Always start your #1"...
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal

Dobber Sports Icon

Well they just blew a 3-1 lead in the 3rd. 3-3 late.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fffffffffffuuucccckk!!!

Dobber Sports Icon

...aaaannnnndd lose in the shootout. Damn.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shook81 View Post
    So if a player is slumping badly, and he is going into a situation where it is not apparent that he will have great success, you will still throw him into it every time? If you only have two netminders to choose from, that's one thing...but a lot of us have other options and picking a choosing optimal or good situations can be key to posting good numbers over the course of a season.

I have spot-started Gustavsson, Auld, and Conklin with great success thus far...I really don't think it's simple that you "Always start your #1"...
    yes it really is that simple...

would you sit crosby or ovechkin or thornton because reinprecht got a hattrick, or jason blake got on a 3 game point streak?

don't give me bullshit

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    ...aaaannnnndd lose in the shootout. Damn.
    it was just not possible to stop that laser shot from Crosby .... ;-)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Pittsburgh will win 3-2 in OT. I'm probably (55% sure) going to start mason because malkin's injured, mason's due and my goalies have been shitastic the last 1and a half weeks no way that continues. Heres to hoping bluejackets win 3-2.

It will be a game time decision
    4-3 in a SO... I was close
    Head-to-Head/ yahoo/ 16 teams/ dynasty league

C, C, C, C,
    LW, LW, LW, LW,
    RW, RW, RW, RW,
    D, D, D, D, D, D,
    G, G,
    BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN,
    IR, IR,
    IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+,
    NA, NA, NA, NA, NA

(G), (A), (PIM), (PPP), (SOG), (HIT), (BLK)

(W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

would you sit crosby or ovechkin or thornton because reinprecht got a hattrick, or jason blake got on a 3 game point streak?

don't give me bullshit
    It's different for goalies though. You have nothing to lose by playing cold skaters, except maybe +/-. If a goalie struggles and gives up 6 goals, your GAA and SV% for the week goes down the shitter and can make the difference between losing or winning the week. I have Mason myself and I totally understand the concern about playing him against Pittsburgh. After watching him give up 4,6,4,6 the last 4 games, playing him against one of the most dangerous teams in the league almost seems like suicide.

Anyways, Mason was much better today, but is still lacking confidence. Giving up thoes 2 late goals and losing in the shootout KILLED me.

Dobber Sports Ace

don't give me bullshit
    Dutch no one is giving you bullshit, and playing forwards through cold-streaks is entirely different than goalies. Fantasystud touched on a few reasons why you wouldn't play a struggling stud netminder...and a lot of it depends on ones league format. (And it's not like Crosby, Ovie, or Thornton are struggling...bad example.)

GAA and SV% are categories based on averages...thus, when you have a team give up 29 goals in 6 games (4.83 GAA) it's a bit disconcerting. Getting your GAA and SV% destroyed early on in roto leagues can take an owner long time to recover, if at all. Avoiding the huge disasters is key to maintaining a great GAA and SV% over the course of a season. Forwards can have long droughts and then explode, and for them that may push them up to a point per game and hide their previous failures...it's not so easy for goalies. Also, one must take a team's defense & special teams into consideration when playing a goalie...the Columbus PK was operating at 47% efficiency for their last 6 games...they're allowing more goals on the power play than they kill off! That certainly is a factor...even outside of how well your "stud" goalie is playing.

Dutch, you haven't really added anything to this thread other stirring things up and using profanities. I can fully accept your criticism of me even considering benching Mason (as benching him actually would have been an appropriate response given his last 5 results), but try to convince me using persuasive and well-founded arguments...not just calling me an idiot and using absolutes. Thanks.