Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: beware of your Commissioner!!

Dobber Sports Icon

I am a GM in the league in question (and one other that is run by XMHX), and I cannot believe the vitriol that has been flying from some people in this thread who are not involved with him or the league. He is a very attentive commish, and pretty patient with the GMs.

Yes, ben10 probably should not have made that post about taking over the team, but I think he has learned a bit from it - he has said as much. Likewise, Mafia may have been a bit hasty in his actions (although I am not privy to the communications or lack thereof between the him and the ousted GM), but I am sure he has learned from it too. All of my dealings with both ben10 and Mafia have been good, they are good guys and enthusiastic about fantasy hockey.

The horse is dead, lets stop beating it.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

haha Dennis its not about the emails either. You can ignore all emails, just not the emails that are warnings about being ilegal and such haha. Really my leagues are very simple to follow and maintain.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by XMafiaHockeyX View Post
    Ok guys while my name gets slaughtered around here in the mud in this forum yet still today!!, everyone here who has posted an opinion is absoutely free to do so and I can take the heat, but let me just say a couple things here on my behalf if I may.

First off, I have been a fantasy hockey commissioner for many years. I am a very loyal , fair, honest person. Forget fantasy hockey, im talkin just as a person first, im a good guy, which does transfer over to everyday life and yes fantasy sports. I dont hurt people, I dont screw people, I give the benefit of the doubt more times than not. I am patient, I am observant and I do require respect and I give respect back as well..

A situation came about in my league, I ultimately handled it the best way I thought as to handle it. This wasnt a surprise to this owner, no matter what B.S. this owner chooses to say here on a public forum and then everyone just jumps on his bandwagon as im the bad guy here. When not a person on this site except for myself and that owner know what exactly has taken place over the last 4 months. It's easy to fire off posts about what should be done, what wasnt done, what I would do, what I think you should do, what I wouldnt do, what I've done before, what I've seen before etc etc etc etc..

Someone said in one of the posts that I kicked the guy out cause he didnt make posts in the league? ARE YOU FLIPPIN SERIOUS? Come on guys! Anyway, I truly have no clue what else to say, but its pretty sad to see my name get dragged about here like some dead fish...I spend many hours on this forum, posting , reading, interacting , and alot of my interactions are with several of the guys who are blasting me here..

Anyway, Rgarrow your intentions look like they worked, so kudos to you!!

The rest of you, as I like you all, but I gotta say, I think you are misled and misguided here with what YOU THINK may of happend in this league...its easy to judge I suppose, Its easy to fire off comments without really knowing the true actual facts..

I have nothing more to say
    according to what you stated, you kicked him because he had an incomplete roster..something along the lines of he didnt take schneider off the IR. So..can't you just drop schneider from his team?

This guy is in 1st place in a money league. Of course he has reason to be pissed off, he could be winning whatever pot your league holds. Instead, you award the 1st place team to a new owner.

If you really believe you did the right thing, why not prove it? Why hide what happened in the 4 months? Let the truth be told. Unless, there is something you're hiding..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by XMafiaHockeyX View Post
    hey calm down a bit...

we all know how it is (at least those of us who've managed leagues). try to think of the posts here as nothing more than constructive criticism (even though some posts have a harsh tone).

running a league is a constant learning process. this is a good situation to learn from. Whether it's a change in the written rules (so that every manager in the future is aware that this is a consequence - ie nobody will again be surprised), or whether it's a change in the way you execute your decision... there are a lot of loopholes and issues that can arise... things that you never would have thought of... the only way to address them is to adjust and try to make sure it's not an issue in the future.

obviously this guy felt very wronged. so from here you should try to figure out a way to avoid this circumstance again... you know?

from my standpoint (and probably the other nay-sayers here), you committed possibly one of the few cardinal sins (in that you didn't put it to a league vote). I don't imagine that you will make the same mistake in the future...

saying in that initial email to the guy that the league voted him out, would have been much easier for him to swallow i think... as he wouldn't be able to focus all of his hate on one person (in this case, you).

anyways... i can see both sides... how easy do you think it is for him to find a new league now? that's why i normally try and fight through issues like this, then add/drop teams during the offseason if necessary... it's better for all parties involved.

as comish in my leagues, i always try to think how i would feel if i were the other guy... or another member in the league...

Again... i'm sorry if this is coming off harsh or preachy... it was just a few things on my mind.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynoob View Post
    This guy is in 1st place in a money league. Of course he has reason to be pissed off, he could be winning whatever pot your league holds. Instead, you award the 1st place team to a new owner.
    Its not a money league, as has been stated already.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Likewise, [the commissioner] may have been a bit hasty in his actions (although I am not privy to the communications or lack thereof between the him and the ousted GM), but I am sure he has learned from it too.
    see this is the problem though... sadly, you can't un-ring the bell... and that's where you often run into trouble.

it's not an easy job being a comish... hopefully this thread helps some people appreciate that to some degree...

I really think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. it's not necessarily beating a dead horse... it's actually a decent discussion/conversation piece if you all let it evolve into that...
    Roster Limit(s):
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    see this is the problem though... sadly, you can't un-ring the bell... and that's where you often run into trouble.
    True - so we learn from it and move on.

it's not an easy job being a comish... hopefully this thread helps some people appreciate that to some degree...
    No its a lot of work and I appreciate it.

I really think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. it's not necessarily beating a dead horse... it's actually a decent discussion/conversation piece if you all let it evolve into that...
    Yes you're right - maybe I'm just sick of seeing ppl I like dragged through the mud (not pointing a finger at you, its more the first page and a half, the name calling, etc).

Dobber Sports Icon

Yes you're right - maybe I'm just sick of seeing ppl I like dragged through the mud (not pointing a finger at you, its more the first page and a half, the name calling, etc).
    haha that post wasn't necessarily exclusively aimed at you prairedog... it was more of a general thing... for people in any league.

-----

and i agree about the first page... if i'd seen it at that point, i would've deleted the thread outright... but it seemed to have progressed into something more constructive by the time i got here...
    Roster Limit(s):

Banned

I can't speak for everyone on this thread but my impression was that most of the posts were as lanky notes constructive criticism. I was in a league last year with a heavy handed commish that would just arbitrarily decide things without getting the league to vote on it and it was just awful, I'll never be part of a league like that and I'll never run any of my leagues like that so that's where my cautionary words are coming from.

XMafia, I think quite highly of you, you've always seemed to be a good guy and a sharp hockey mind and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were acting in what you felt to be the best interest of your league. You very well may have made the correct call in this situation, I just wanted to express my concern for taking an authoritarian approach like that when a softer one will often do the trick

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    no we are not playing for money!
    easy there denney

the email from commish stated he was sending randy a refund .

''Anyway, I am sending you a refund for the leagues. ''

maybe randy would prefer a few cheeseburgers instead ?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Time for a few of the good old boys to get together and write a primer on being a Commissioner in fantasy hockey - not suggesting anyone named here needs one but this thread does make me think that a very thorough handbook on Commissioning would be a nice resource for folks to access through Dobberhockey. There is an amazing wealth of experience here that might do a great job of that. Casebook as an appendix would be nice too - easy to add to.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    easy there denney

mmmmmm on that note... i'm grabbing some grub. hopefully this thread doesn't turn into a crapfest while i step away haha.

cheeeeeeeeeseburgers... yummm.
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Sage

This is too funny...
    Last edited by VintageVibe; October 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Time for a few of the good old boys to get together and write a primer on being a Commissioner in fantasy hockey - not suggesting anyone named here needs one but this thread does make me think that a very thorough handbook on Commissioning would be a nice resource for folks to access through Dobberhockey. There is an amazing wealth of experience here that might do a great job of that. Casebook as an appendix would be nice too - easy to add to.
    good thoughts shoeless... really decent point.

there is the "league rules/setup" area... but youre right... there's not really much on "how to run an effective league."

rules are great... but they don't make the league. the best leagues are the ones that run smoothly despite the rules (because we all know that even the most in-depth rules will leave areas of possible dispute)
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    easy there denney

you really took that personal?? wow that´s crazy. Once again it´s not a money league.