Thread: Production vs # NHL seasons

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Production vs # NHL seasons

There is a trend for defensemen, forwards, goalies and even enforcers for their production vs the years of NHL experience. Check the articles at :

http://www.thephysicsofhockey.com/ye.htm
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re:Production vs # NHL seasons

Fergie, thumbs up for finding this. I love seeing published stuff on statistical analysis in hockey.

However, as a statistician, I was hoping to find something a little more detailed and rigourous. The authors\' sample sizes were limited (2005-06 players only), and multivariate analyses could have been more revealing. Not enough info is provided to critically assess the strength of their findings (e.g. no R-squares provided for regressions).

For those of you too busy to download and read the authors\' 4 brief pdf\'s on this topic, let me summarize their findings for you here:
    Generally, forwards and goalies need about 4 years of NHL experience to reach their prime. Defencemen need 6 years. Goalies (in their limited sample anyway) experienced surprising dips in their save% (the only stat they studied) in their 8th and 13th years. The study season\'s 34 top enforcers\' PIMs/game were shown to be slightly negatively correlated with years of experience.

These guys are physicists first and hockey fans second. Their other stuff on physics in hockey is better.

This takes the cake though:

http://www.thephysicsofhockey.com/video/chelios.wmv

Check out Samuel L. Jackson as Chelios\'s coach.

I...am your father.

Fergie is actually one of the authors, fyi...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yikes. Is my face red...

Dobber Sports Genius

you\'re the man , that is funny!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The whole purpose of this website is to give some nice information, either in physics or in stats for everyone.

Hence, keep everything simple for everyone to understand. I don\'t think that everyone knows about chi-square and Gaussian functions and what it means.

Still, enjoy the site. We have some interesting facts and some interesting hockey physics examples that everyone can understand.

http://www.thephysicsofhockey.com
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com