Thread: The Avs Guild

The King of Diatribes

Default The Avs Guild

So some of you may or may not know that I am a color analyst for the radio partner of the Colorado Avalanche (Mile High Sports Radio AM 1510). This is my second year providing analysis on games. Last year I did a post-game show and this year they decided to only host a weekly Avalanche show on Mondays.

Last year I was so busy after Avs games with the radio show that I never had a chance to post a lot of the scouting reports I had on different players (and goalies of course).

This year, I'm happy to say that after every game I'll be posting a juicy list of scouting notes in the following order: Goaltending, Defense, Offense, Closing Thoughts.

You can check out my first set of notes from last night's Avalanche preseason game against the Stars at www.theavalancheguild.com

I don't have nearly the kind of knowledge with forwards that I do with goalies (duh) but I still know what I'm looking at. I've been playing hockey long enough to understand a lot of intricacies that most reporters who have never played hockey will consistently miss.

So check it out if you want some good notes on Avs prospects or just any of the Avs players as the year goes on!!

Dobber Sports Star

Very nice write up. Thanks!

I am interested in your take on Svatos this year. I grabbed him off waivers for Kotalik, and am hoping that he has a rebound year under a new coach and system. Also, this is his contract year.

Is he not worth the hassle, or will he be a legit top six and top pp guy this year?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

The King of Diatribes

I think Colorado's PP will certainly improve with the addition of Kyle Quincey. He was very impressive in training camp and he has a lot of composure with the puck, something the other Avs defensemen really lacked last year. So I am thinking that Svatos will definitely take advantage of that.

Unfortunately IMO he is a band-aid boy (not sure if he's on Dobber's list...) and does not like to take hits or work very hard for scoring opportunities. Ironically, he always seems to find that sweet spot in the low slot off to either side and he usually just roofs it quickly and gets the puck up in a hurry. That's how he scored his goal last night.

I don't think Svatos is going to have any kind of major leap in his point totals but he will probably slightly improve. He is still very weak defensively and physically. But at least he's healthy...for now.

The new coach and systems in Colorado will benefit their defense more than their offense for sure. As you can see from my notes...albeit one game...Sacco has everyone on the bench on the same page.

But again Dallas was horrible last night. I could hear Crawford screaming at guys like Fortunus and Vishnevskiy and Daley all the way up in the box.

The King of Diatribes

Forgot to mention that scouting notes from the other two home pre-season games are up at www.theavalancheguild.com for your viewing pleasure LOL.

The King of Diatribes

Ryan O'Reilly surprisingly made the team.

Of course Duchene made it as well...but O'Reilly was a big surprise. I think the only reason they have him starting with the big club is because Tom Preissing went on long-term IR so it opened up a roster spot.

Not sure what type of fantasy value O'Reilly will have but he definitely busted his ass to make the team. Very solid defensively in his own zone and a good guy in the faceoff circle.

The King of Diatribes

Tonight at 6pm MDT I will be co-hosting the first radio show of the year.

It's called "Avs Weekly" and airs on the official radio partner of the Avalanche, Mile High Sports Radio AM 1510.

If anyone is interested in hearing me blab away about the Avs for an hour every week from 6-7pm MDT, you can stream it live at http://www.milehighsports.com

And of course I'll always be talking goalies on the show whenever I can =)