View Poll Results: Who drafted the best team?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team 1

1 4.55%
  • Team 2

0 0%
  • Team 3

0 0%
  • Team 4

1 4.55%
  • Team 5

1 4.55%
  • Team 6

1 4.55%
  • Team 7

6 27.27%
  • Team 8

3 13.64%
  • Team 9

1 4.55%
  • Other please specifiy

8 36.36%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Crazynuck Pts only draft results

Dobber Sports Master

There is also a big difference in drafting between pts only and multi cat leagues
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Ninja

I had a hunch you were team 1

Dobber Sports Master

Didn't think I would get a vote as I wouldn't even vote for myself.
    I hate teams with no goaltending.
    But like you said Bryz and Bulin could surprise and the rest of my lineup is good so there is a very small chance.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Genius

Mason will score me 32-35 wins and 7-9 shutouts.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Guru

hey, 1 vote! i too will post a list of draft regrets later today.

but for now, i just want to say that you owe me $5 crazy... gabby is hurt in training camp baby!

Dobber Sports All-Star

should be $10; since he officially didn't even make it on the ice for the first day of camp!

didn't realize the wind was that strong in NYC!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    hey, 1 vote! i too will post a list of draft regrets later today.

but for now, i just want to say that you owe me $5 crazy... gabby is hurt in training camp baby!
    did I make a bet with you that I don't remember?
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Crazynuck View Post
    did I make a bet with you that I don't remember?
    haha, ya you sure did. during the draft i said: "we should include a sidebet on when gabby gets injured. i'll put a fiver on training camp".

to which you promptly responded: "i'll take that bet".

or something like that.

all kidding aside... here's my draft:

1. Kovalchuk - last year must have spooked me on goaltenders i guess. plus i like wingers who don't miss games and who can threaten 100 points with my first pick.
    2. Getzlaf - did i really grab a center with my 2nd pick? odd call, that. i remember wanting to get a goaltender, but all the top guys went in picks 8-13.
    3. Kane - wanted to get an elite RW if i wasn't going to have a top goalie, but how many are there really? pretty much just Iggy this year, right? i don't like Kane that much but i'm hoping he's as good as everyone says he is this year with Hossa out to start.
    4. Rafalski - wanted a top producer at every skating position. Rafalski is as steady as they come. really wanted Gonchar here.
    5. Niedermayer - with this setup, i do think that 60 point dmen are big differentiators. it was literally a coinflip between Nieds and Weber, who the Comish took right after me. after this pick, i'm ashamed to say that Gaborik is the top guy in my queue. thank you Maple!
    6. Jokinen - autopick! just like Dobber in the expert league, i was feverishly clicking on another name with 3 seconds to go... Doh! ah well... there is big upside here for Jokinen although if he doesn't hit it... this could be my worst pick. on the flipside, i do prefer him to Toews/Kopitar/Ribeiro this year.
    7. Burns - he'll rebound in a big way, although he'll have to out-perform Kaberle (Comish's pick right after me) or... oops. 55 points? at this point i have 1 strong LW and RW, 2 strong Cs, and 3 big Ds. i would like to just leave goalies until the end and work on wingers, but i count only 5 "starting" goalies remaining and 6 empty goalie slots.
    8. Vokoun - wanted Huet, and i will freely admit that i forgot that they picked up a very capable backup in Clemmensen. i'm hoping Vokoun can stay healthy and get me a modest 60-some points.
    9. Frolov - at this point, its all about wingers with 65-70 point upside. i think the Kings should rebound offensively this year, and it was Fro or Brown here... the latter goes 2 picks later.
    10. Ray Whitney - no RWs are sticking out to me above the 60 point pack, so i get another guy who could maybe burst for 70. thats two band-aid boys now, though.
    11. Erat - i have never owned this guy... i hope he bounces back to 60-65. i'm sad to see Erik Johnson go soon after, who was next in my queue. thats OK, i have someone else on the same level in my sights still...
    12. Bogosian - would you believe that McKeen's has this guy at 50 points, ahead of Doughty and EJ? i'm a big believer... Bogo-Pop ate Doughty for breakfasat when he started getting decent minutes after returning from a broken freaking leg.
    13. Samuelsson - very satisfying to hear Crazy's moaning after this pick. after a few risky ones (Whitney, Bogo, Vokoun), i needed a RW who should be bankable for 45-55 points with some upside if things get crazy with the Sedins. also... i was between a RW and my 2nd G with this pick when I saw Crazy pick Khabibulin, and i was happy to leave the last starter (Lehtonen) to my final pick of the draft. as far as I'm concerned, both those guys are on mediocre teams (in fact, i like Atlanta to win more games this year) and both are injury prone.
    14. Pavelski - just need a center with upside now... and if Jumbo Joe gets hurt or if the Sharks struggle, Little Joe could find himself playing with Heater. heck, he may get PP time anyways.
    15. Lehtonen - what can i say? i'm a sucker for this guy, year in, year out. hopefully his back trouble doesn't let Pavelec gain too much momentum in training camp.

well, its a shady team no matter how i try to sugarcoat it. i would have loved to pick in that 10-12 range so i could go goalie-goalie to start, which is usually my MO in 1-years. regardless, i think this team has a chance if a few key guys stay healthy... which i think is the situation with every team in this format.
    Last edited by ultrawhiteness; September 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

Great post UW.

I remember the bet now... you understand I was joking

You got stuck in the same goalie situation and it was interesting to hear your take on the draft as it was very similar to mine. Kovi and Getzlaf is a good 1-2 punch. I agree with your take on Kane but top end RW is tough this year.

I agree that Jokinen is under rated for this season and I have him #2 behind Ribs. Like I said I was short on time aswell this round. Something must have happened with the chat that got us occupied.

Vokoun is in a tough situation with Clemmensen as a backup but it could also push him. Coin toss there.

Samuelsson was a homer pick but I'm content with Backes.

You already know my view on lehtonen.

Well I hope one of us can pull off the win as we have the worst goalie combos
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Giant

Ok, as promised yesterday, so here it is for me!

Even before the draft started, I knew I would try something HockeyPoolGeek brought up in a thread earlier this summer that I think would be great for a pts only league like this one: the “players pts vs average pts for the players position” strategy. You can find the post here (http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...5&postcount=41), but basically what he said is to calculate the average pts of the top X (where X is the number of starter in your league) players by position and then compare this average with each players pts. You’ll then come up with a list of the difference with the average for each players.

So I took Dobber’s projections as a starting point and went ahead with my changes and ideas about how many pts each players would get. I then took the top 36 C, 36 LW, 36 RW, 48 D and 24 G and calculated the average for each position. Then I compared each players pts with their respective average.

Sure I didn’t always exactly picked the top guys on the list (we have to go with the flow of the draft), but used it a lot.

1. (5) Dany Heatley

Just after he became a Sharks, I had to pick him. It was him or Kovalchuk but my strategy told me to pick him (there was a 3 pts difference between the two).

2. (20) Andrei Markov

I had my eyes on Thomas, but Comish picked him 2 spots before me. I was ready to pick a goalie, but there was 10 pts between Markov (the biggest average difference guy) and Ward (the next best goalie).

3. (29) Martin St. Louis

It’s a known fact that I love St-Louis a lot, but for probably the first time in my FH history, both my heart and my head told me to pick him.

4. (44) Shane Doan

I was still looking for my 1st goalie, but a 70 pts RW at this stage was hard to pass on. Again he was the biggest average difference guy.

5. (53) Brian Campbell

Emery was one of the goalies I was targeting at this stage of the draft and I was even ready to stop using my strategy for one round to pick him, but since he was no longer there, I went ahead with a possible 60 pts D with again the biggest average difference.

6. (68) Pekka Rinne

Price (thank you once again Comish!!!) and Turco now gone, I knew it was now or never if I wanted a decent to good 1st goalie. So I stopped my strategy to grab Rinne.

7. (77) Mike Ribeiro

I know C are easy to come by, but I was really happy to see him there. Probably not the best 1st C to own, but he was a +6 over the average. It was between him and Stastny, but in a pool with no BN and no transaction, I wanted to avoid a possible BAB.

8. (92) Dennis Wideman

Now the big shocker Crazy talked about when Gongshow picked Morrow and Kariya with his 7th and 8th rounder and I’m not even talking about Tanguay and Elias being gone as well. I was counting on one of them to fill my 2nd LW. I knew I had to pick one now, but the average difference between the best one on my list (Bouchard) and the best average guy (Wideman) was big enough to pick him Wideman.

9. (101) Pierre-Marc Bouchard

I had my fingers crossed for the next 8 picks and it seems to have worked. He’ll be an excellent 2nd LW, especially if he bounces back.

10. (116) Chris Mason

I would have liked to clear my LW with Prospal or Whitney, but with both now gone, I decided to stop my strategy once more to grab my 2nd goalies. I could probably have wait until the very end of the draft, but didn’t really want to end up with Lehtonen (it’s an easy one I know, so sorry UW).

11. (125) Joffrey Lupul

Both my list and my common sense told me to clear my RW at this stage so a possible 55-60 guy is always nice to own.

12. (140) Derick Brassard

Now the other big shocker (for at least a few of us), when Briere was taken at the end of the 11th round and when Gongshow (him again) picked McDonald with the 1st pick of the 12th. I had one them as my 2nd C and despite the fact I said I didn’t want BABs on my team, they would have been great picks at this stage of the draft. So I decided to go with Brassard. I cheated my strategy a little bit with this pick, but there was only 1 pts between him and Zajac or Gomez.

13. (149) Marek Zidlicky

I gambled that AK47 would still be there for my next pick, but hey, you can’t win them all. So I decided to go with the biggest average difference guy on my list and it was Zidlicky. An at least 40 pts D as my 4th is definitely something good.

14. (164) Wojtek Wolski

I knew I had to close my LW now and had my eyes on Sullivan (again a possible BAB, but could be a really good gamble at this stage of the draft), but Gongshow (him again!) picked him with the 1st pick of the 14th round. So I decided to take a gamble on Wolski. 1st LW or 2nd C duty on a team that will need as much help as they can, I like that.

15. (173) Shawn Horcoff

Connolly was the guy I really wanted here, but Crazy picked him to start the last round. So I decided to go with one of the few last 1st C available. Horcoff always seems to miss some time, but there’s good chances he could get 60 pts. Arnott was the other guy I had in mind.

Overall, I’m happy with the team I drafted (especially my Ds). I could have had a better goalie tandem, but Rinne and Mason could surprise. I’ll never know how my team would have look like if I had picked AK47 instead of Brassard, but who knows, in the end the pts could be the same.

I can’t wait to see the final results!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

great read chic, nicely done. Haha, well going into the draft my plan was to see how many times I could steal your pick You stole a couple of beauties from me in the hellfish draft a while back so I guess we are all even now hah. If it makes you feel any better at the time of each pick I was wanting doan and zidlicky but of course you took them. By the way that is a neat strategy that you used, I wish I saw the post before. Anyways good drafting sir, perhaps I will do a write up similar to this later today.

Dobber Sports Master

Great write up and a strategy I will have to look into for my other drafts
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks guys! Like I said, I'll probably only see at season end if it was a good strategy or not, but it seems a good one on paper. I just hope I stopped it at the right time to address positional need. I also don't know how you can apply this to Roto or H2H pool, but this is definitely something to consider in a pts only.

Good to hear I stole Doan and Zidlicky from you Seth! Yeah, I think we're even! Sure, a write up from you would be a good read as well!

Dobber Sports Ace

ok this is my report was pretty happy to be out of the top 3 pretty difficult position (i hate back to back pick)

1st round (GREEN)it was between green and heatley. so i pick green to be sure to have the best defense available...may regret to let go heatley with his news team...

2nd round (WARD)there a goalie rush since my last pick i take the best available in ward fast pick no headache on this one...

3rd round(CARTER) was a tough one i don't like to pick a center but cannot let carter go away

4th round (Emery) was checking on rw and left and yahoo pick the guy on top of my list without let me know was on the clock but 1 minute remainning.... probably a good pick but as 2nd goalie was hoping to sneak varlamov maybe 1 round later

5th round (RYAN) desesperatly need rw before they allgone

6th round (POMINVILLE) happy to get him since no rw where pick since my last pick

7th round (KOPITAR) take the best between ribeiro and kopitar (4th year maybe high reward)

8th round(ERIKSSON) first lw should have take one in the previous round but can live with him

9th round (LETANG) since many D have been pick i got maybe a homer pick on that one but cannot let him go with the opportunity to play on the 1st pp unit at pittsburg...(wierd pick or way to early GIROUX)

10th round (TAVARES) was asking my self many time if he will last another round and kind of hard to close my C right now... (weird pick in the round j.staal)

11th round (CORVO) pretty happy that he was still there was hoping souray got to me pick 2 before me)

12 th round (PERRON) a majority of team are already patching there hole so since i still need 2 lw pick the bpa at that position

13th round(SPACEK) i just pick the hometown guy normally mtl have a great pp so may got a great pick or a very bad one time will let me know...maybe should have pick hedman

14th round (HEJDUK) band aid boy but maybe a good pick at that time since the rest is pretty scrappy

15th round (PONIKAROVSKY) still don't love him but last round in desesperatly need a lw
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Master

J.Staal was definately a weird pick

Giroux I think was picked earlier than expected cause of the lack of RW
    30 GM Commish Dynasty