Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dobber Pirate League Season 2

Dobber Sports Ace

Joos I don't like the idea of 2 starters at all. The league would be too shallow. The depth of the league was good last year, we just had too few things to do.

The reason why there was very little trading last year (I made by far the most trades), was because the bench was so tiny. We only had 2 extra spots. That type of format greatly affects the frequencies of trades. Having at least 4 bench spots gives more potential for trade options, and increases a GM's daily tasks.

I like NYR9394 and Nieuwendyke. How the hell do you spell that?
    Last edited by Kickerz; September 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    2010-2011 Team Try Hard League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Pirate League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Elite League Champion

I'm the best! Dutch is the Worst.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Kickerz View Post

I like NYR9394 and Nieuwendyke.
    No love for me? lol

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by tryhard87 View Post
    No love for me? lol
    everything is a popularity contest
    Head-to-Head/ yahoo/ 16 teams/ dynasty league

C, C, C, C,
    LW, LW, LW, LW,
    RW, RW, RW, RW,
    D, D, D, D, D, D,
    G, G,
    BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN,
    IR, IR,
    IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+,
    NA, NA, NA, NA, NA

(G), (A), (PIM), (PPP), (SOG), (HIT), (BLK)

(W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Very tempting to join this because of the quality people in it.

But are you guys pretty firm on the heavy goalie stats?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    But are you guys pretty firm on the heavy goalie stats?

I hope not. I dont like it when it's goalie heavy cats. Is their really a need for losses?

I like when it's half & half or slightly skewed towards offense.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by joos View Post
    i say we trim down the starters to like 2 @ each forward position + 4D + 2util + 2G
    I like this idea. Even 3 forwards would be ok, but 2 is ideal in my opinion. Gotta take into account the utility spots. It makes 4 wingers at LW & RW too much in a 12 team league. And who really wanted 5 d-men? Four is fine.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Btw, where the hell do I register for it?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by NYR9394 View Post
    Is their really a need for losses?
    I agree, I do not like Losses as a category. I played with that before and it's a pooper stat. This stat alone will destroy the number of useful goalies and is arguably a random stat (but that's because I say it's random!).

Maximum moves? (I suggest ~70. That works out to be about 10 moves a month)

I'm fine with the trimmed roster.

EDIT: Can the league be set-up without the name 'Dobber' in it?
    Last edited by Nieuwendyk; September 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Ace

I just don't really know you 87. Though most of the guys did not know me last year.

I could see doing 3,3,3 but I really don't like the idea of 2,2,2.

I am just curious why are you guys against losses?

It makes you think about playing a goalie. You may get W, GS, saves, but you suffer form losses. It was a cat I did no think I would like last year, but it actually made it pretty interesting for me to figure out what to do. Just a thought.

Last year we had 10 player categories, and 9 Goalie Categories. It was too much.
    2010-2011 Team Try Hard League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Pirate League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Elite League Champion

I'm the best! Dutch is the Worst.

Dobber Sports Stud

I see Losses being one of those redundant stats you mentioned earlier:

1) Both Wins and Losses are a team stat and having one of them will already account for the other. If you're counting Wins, obviously a Loss means zero Wins.

2) If you're not going to play a goalie because you expect them to lose, it's usually because you think the said goalie will likely have a low SV% and GAA.

I'm just throwing this argument out there as I remember my pool had a crapper of a time because the addition of Losses over-emphasized goalies and for that year, we figured out only 7 goalies were useful in the entire league. Considering there's only 30 starters (I haven't considered the teams that don't even have useful starters), that means about 25% of the netminders are usable and everyone else will just suck pirate booty.

I am fine with 3/3/3 or 2/2/2.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hey guys,

I would definitely be up for some stiffer competition. Honestly im fairly new to the H2H leagues, most of my experience has come from points only leagues.
    That being said, it's not rocket science, and I'm sure i'll pick up on the subtleties quickly. I'n the mean time maybe I can keep praba out of last place

I've always been a very active owner and have no intention of changing that. If I get vetoed because you guys dont really know me then I can accept that, I'll just keep asking every year until you say yes

If you have any question for me or anything like that, feel free to PM me, or drop me an email to [email protected].

Thanks guys
    12 team keeper, 8 keepers, Points only(1 point G/A, 2W+3SO)
    $65M salary cap 12F 6D 2G active roster

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

sorry habs. as a die hard leaf fan, there is no way i am letting you in our pool haha. all jokes aside, this league isnt being formed on if we know the managers or not, i had no idea who niewendyke is yet hes posted more than i have in this thread. active participation shows dedication, which is what i love to see from managers.

as for the losses category, if we have the GA/GAA/SV% and stuff like that then it will prevent managers from abusing it. i see what you mean by if we dont have it then managers will just keep playing their goalies without be penalized for losses, but if you keep playing your goalies eventually there will be days where even your allstar goalies get shelled by like 5 goals which can ruin your goaltending week.

Dobber Sports Initiate

On another note, I think having 2 forwards at each postition isn't enough, just seems to me like it will hinder trading. Having a bigger team/bench gives you the opportunity to move lower level players who are really where things get won/lost.
    12 team keeper, 8 keepers, Points only(1 point G/A, 2W+3SO)
    $65M salary cap 12F 6D 2G active roster

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    sorry habs. as a die hard leaf fan, there is no way i am letting you in our pool haha. all jokes aside, this league isnt being formed on if we know the managers or not, i had no idea who niewendyke is yet hes posted more than i have in this thread. active participation shows dedication, which is what i love to see from managers.

as for the losses category, if we have the GA/GAA/SV% and stuff like that then it will prevent managers from abusing it. i see what you mean by if we dont have it then managers will just keep playing their goalies without be penalized for losses, but if you keep playing your goalies eventually there will be days where even your allstar goalies get shelled by like 5 goals which can ruin your goaltending week.
    Oh boy... No one knows Joe Nieuwendyk??? Won 3 Cups, Calder, Conn Smythe. Current GM of Dallas and the trade bait to bring Iggy to the Flames.

I'm fine with Losses kept as a category. I just want to make sure the playing rules are decided first as the draft will have to be adjusted accordingly .

Dobber Sports Guru

hey prabs, haven't had time to read through this thread but i think i received a yahoo invite from you or someone else. just wanted to repeat that i won't be partaking, on the remote chance that you're holding a spot for me.

cheers guys!

i mean, YARRRR!!! may ur loot be plenty, ur seas calm, and ur parlance rare! ARGH!