Thread: Varlamov save sequence

The King of Diatribes

Default Varlamov save sequence

Below is the frame-by-frame sequence I was referring to in the second half of today's article. And it's hard to believe I still need to say this, but YES I know it's just ONE PLAY in ONE GAME of an entire career.

I'm sure some of you are newer to this site than others, but I just don't waste space in articles by making note of the fact these are just EXAMPLES. I think just about everyone knows that by now.

Making the "big" save and performing under pressure was not the topic at hand when discussing this specific play. It just so happened to pop into my mind when watching those games again on NHL Network and relate to the topic at hand - situational awareness.

Take from it what you want, but even at that speed it's not a hard play to read. It started just inside the blueline.

Banned

thanks for posting this GG

i was starting to feel the hype on varly for a bit, but I think I am just gonna hold off, until he screws it up and his value lowers a bit...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I wonder how Dobber feels about you basically calling out his 41 win, 4 shutout prediction? Although you said 7 shutouts in the article, not 4.

"Therefore I find it very hard to believe he will win 37+ games and collect seven shutouts." Haha! Internal squabble.

Yea, the hype on this guy was getting quite excessive for not enough body of work. Thats also what my beef was with alot of the "Steve Mason is super-elite at this point" talk. Although Mason showed that he could do it for longer in the NHL, i'll still take a proven goalie before I take Steve Mason. Too many things went right last year for him to repeat that performance. Same thing with Varloamov. Anyway, lets see them both accomplish something consistently beore we go crazy.
    Last edited by NYR9394; August 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM.

The King of Diatribes

LOL ... I wasn't calling him out by any means NYR ... but I get what you're saying.

Personally, I just don't see him winning that many. I don't want to come off like it's not possible, but I just feel that's a lot for him. Four shutouts is perfect so I don't have any problem with Dobber's predictions...he probably has a better chance of getting it right than I do!! I think a lot of people see how I break down a single play and think that's the end-all cause of his demise ... not the case at all ... just one example of one play I saw with my own two eyes. Real in-depth breakdown of a single play ... but actions speak volumes!!!

What I did call out what THN's numbers...or at least their one-line comments that were ridiculously vague LOL.

The King of Diatribes

I am just bumping this so that people can see some more of my insight on Varlamov ... lots of talk on him in the Goalie Discussion thread!! Woo!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i want to go back to the pens/caps playoff threads with all those people saying varlamov was amazing (which he could be), and me telling them he gave up the nastiest rebounds and was not as good as everyone thought he was. funny how i don't hear them now...

The King of Diatribes

Varlamov has FLASHES of being amazing and WILL HAVE good rebound control in a few years. A lot like Theodore having FLASHES of brilliance and ONE HAD great rebound control...now it's inconsistent.

Banned

I love how the Varly hype has been replaced with Varly hate...you guys are such extremists

The King of Diatribes

LOL not me. My original post was way back in late-May early-June. Personally, I was never really much of a fan =)