Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Whitney

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Ryan Whitney

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on Whitney.
    Dobber has him at 14th overall defenseman, but he was a -15 last year.

Do you all think he will have a better full season with ANA?
    Has his injury ruined him?

Potentially, I would be giving up a couple of draft picks for him (Late 1st and 2nd)

Any info would go a long way.

Pool is (G,A,+/-)

Thanks

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He will improve with a full season in ANA for sure. Actually, I think a full offseason to rest will help him the most. His foot injury didn't ruin him, but it was pretty major surgery and it takes time to recover fully from it.

If you need D help, he's worth it. He's a great passer and he has a good shot (tho I wish he'd use it more, kind of a pass first guy). With Pronger gone, I would pencil Whitney in for 50 + if he can play 80 games.

Administrator

I don`t see him as being a plus player. Like no one on Anaheim`s defense was last season. Could turn around but I`m not banking on it. Still he should be a solid performer in terms of point production. I like him for 40+. I think that`s better than what you might get with those draft picks.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

As much as I like Whitney, I don't think I'd be giving up 2 early picks for him. An early pick + a later one seems more reasonable in my mind. There is a lot of talent in this draft, so to wait until the late 3rd round to pick isn't really helping your team imo.

Dobber Sports Legend

I do see Ryan Whitey improving, at least in the points department.

As far as your trade goes, it depends on who is available at those picks. I think Whitney will produce though.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think with the much improved roster, the jettison of Pronger and his own natural talent, we will see a resurgence in Whitney that should be worth those draft picks. Just think about how highly we were touting him after his 59 point season on Pittsburgh.(and by no means am I comparing Anaheim to Pittsburgh) I just think that with his talent + increased responsibility + much improved roster, I can see him improving all across the board.

Dobber Sports Ace

Whitney is one of those guys who seems like he should be producing so much better than he is.

Maybe it's a case of injuries and confidence and he will bounce back but he might just never pan out into the superstar that we all thought that he would be.

I personally traded him for Yandle and some picks in one of my leagues.

Sometimes a player is a gut feeling and you need to throw logic out of the window

Dobber Sports Pro

I think NYR has it right. We were all high on Whitney and hos ability to play in Pit. Considering he looks to be on the #1PP, on an improved team, has a fantastic mentor in Nieds, this could be a fresh start and a huge year.

This should also be considered his 4/5 year but his 3rd seson of playing a major role on a team. If his foot is healed, this could potetially be a greta fit and ideal circumstances for Whitney to grow an flourish. 40+ points should be realistic and even more if he clicks with his new team.

Depending on who is available a late 1st might be reasonable. If he was available there would he be considered a no-brainer? Probably.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks everyone....

Im in trade talks right now...

I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You won't regret it, Whit has a lot of good hockey ahead of him. GREAT buy low candidate right now.

Dobber Sports Sage

Definitely worth those picks. Whitney will be in the 45 point range at the least this season. Deadly PP unit and the departure of Pronger will only help. He'll rebound bigtime.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by refarls9 View Post
    You won't regret it, Whit has a lot of good hockey ahead of him. GREAT buy low candidate right now.
    Absolutely right. The Ducks' PP is going to be killer this year and he will be on it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

yeah especially if you are looking long term. the Ducks have Getz, Perry, Lupul, Whitney all locked up for four more years. im sure we will re-sign Sbisa after next season for atleast a couple more years and im sure we will re-sign Bobby to a big contract too. so he'll have forwards to play with on the PP for a while

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ok, so I made the deal.
    Here it is:

I had Byflugien, that I 99% wasn't going to resign this year as he is $3,000,000, and for his point total last year, wasn't a very good return.

So, I traded Byflugien and 1st Round Pick (2010/2011) which will be 6th/7th pick for Ryan Whitney.

Instead of 1st Round pick this year, and 2nd Round pick this year.

Dobber Sports Legend

Nice. Good luck on the deal, Natty.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka