Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Recap - Keeper #3 Results

I...am your father.

Default A Recap - Keeper #3 Results

Keeper League #3 – Forecaster - Recap

This one is with 13 other fellas, most of who write for the Fantasy Hockey Forecaster magazine. The rules in this one are a lot different than my other two keeper leagues. Rosters are 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G, 4 bench, 4 prospects and 2 IR. Goals and assists are one point each, and +/- is 0.5 points. You can only keep 12 (including prospects). Drafting is done via weighted lottery.

I inherited this team that had finished in last place a year ago, so my goal was to just build 12 elite guys and stock up on draft picks. What further sucked was the fact that even though this team finished in last place, by brutal luck of the lottery my draft position was 13th first round and then it snaked. What a horrible way to determine draft picks. I also think keeping 12 is too few – may as well not be called a keeper league. Anyway, I don’t make the rules.

I did have some solid assets to build around – Lecavalier, Kovalchuk and Price.

If you read my other keeper league reports in this forum, then I’m sure you will guess that I would move Lecavalier.

Move #1, August 25 – Traded Satan and an 8th rounder for Eriksson and Giroux. Needed wingers, felt like I got two good ones.

Move #2, August 27 (prior to when my protected list needed to be in): I still did not have 12 guys I wanted to protect, so it was time to turn Lecavalier into several assets. I wanted to upgrade DiPietro, too, because I didn’t trust him. Unfortunately, the guy I upgraded him to was no better as it turned out. I traded Lecavalier, Zidlicky, DiPietro and acquired Hemsky, Carle, Leclaire, a 1st in 2008 and a 2nd in 2009. I lost every aspect of that deal, but it turns out draft picks are very valuable – especially top two rounds.

Protected list – end of August:
    C- Kopitar, Jokinen, Ribeiro, Brassard (now you see why I wanted to move Lecavalier)
    W- Hemsky, Kovalchuk, Giroux, Eriksson
    D- Meszaros, Carle
    G- Price, Leclaire

With this rather weak protected list, I could go into the draft and focus on wingers and defensemen. But I wanted one more goalie because I didn’t trust Leclaire (and I was shopping him like crazy). A goalie would be my first pick, and I wanted to get the best wingers available so my preference was Dumont, Voracek, Huselius in that order. I also wanted to secure Filatov.

The best goalie available in my opinion at the time was Theodore. The other ones I would consider were Vokoun, Thomas and Ellis, in that order. Yes – oops. Thomas. But who saw that coming, really? Not a fan of Theodore, but I knew Washington would win a ton of games this year and he would start most of them. I was right about that. I would have considered Vokoun, but he went ahead of me anyway.

Drafted Theodore 10th (that’s the pick I got in the Lecavalier deal). Now I can focus strictly on wingers and defensemen.
    Voracek 13th
    Huselius 16th
    Filatov 41st (can’t believe he slipped to me, I was thrilled)
    Vermette 44th (oops)
    Bieksa 69th
    Goligoski 72nd
    Pietrangelo 97th
    Dawes 100th
    Salmela 125th
    Purcell 128th
    Hodgson 153rd
    Pyatt 156th
    Harrold 181st

Grabbed Versteeg off of waivers on October 15th (I’ll only note the notable waiver pickups)
    Grabbed Grebeshkov on Oct. 22, and Quincey on Oct. 29

Move #3, November 26: Traded Derick Brassard and Owen Nolan for Gomez, Satan and a 4th in ’09. I didn’t trust Brassard’s health. Amazingly, I was proven correct about a week later.

Move #4, November 28: Traded Ribeiro, Voracek for Eric Staal, Hudler and an 8th in ’09. This was after the Morrow injury, if I’m not mistaken. I wanted the pick and I wanted more immediate points – I figured I had a shot at 3rd with enough trades, and there is no use jockeying for draft position given the ridiculous drafting format. Usually, if I can’t be first, I may as well be last, get the good draft pick, and work on first next year. But with this draft format, I can’t pull that stunt (“tanking”).

Grabbed Samsonov December 8, Varlamov December 31 (dropped Leclaire), and Wisneiwski December 31.
    Grabbed Makarov January 17.

In February, I couldn’t get higher than 7th, so I took a look at my team and started trying to deal anyone who I either would not protect or who is on the bubble, and try to pick up some draft picks.

Move #5, Feb 9: Traded Versteeg for a 2nd round pick.

Move #6, March 2: Traded Loui Eriksson for a 5th round pick.

That was all I could swing.

Final roster:
    C – Gomez, Jokinen, Kopitar, E. Staal, Hodgson
    W – Comeau, Giroux, Hemsky, Hudler, Huselius, Kovalchuk, Samsonov, Tambellini, Bergenheim, Fehr, Filatov, Makarov
    D – Bieksa, Campoli, Grebeshkov, Quincey, Seidenberg, Wisniewski, Murphy, Goligoski, Meszaros
    G – Price, Varlamov, Theodore

Which 12 would you keep?

My for sure keeps: Kopitar, E. Staal, Hodgson, Giroux, Hemsky, Kovalchuk, Filatov, Hudler, Price, Varlamov (10)
    On the bubble: Jokinen, Gomez, Bieksa, Goligoski, Grebeshkov, Campoli, Quincey (7)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

My final 3 = Jokinen, Bieksa, Grebeshkov.

Obviously a down year from Jokinen, but definitely worth taking a flyer on. If nothing else you can try and sell his point-per game potential, and his iron man playing history.

The story on Gomez is similar to Jokinen\'s but he doesn\'t have the 90 point season on his track record, also NYR offense is just not potent. I also assume keeping too many centermen is a concern.

I assume injuries are a concern otherwise Bieksa is an automatic keep for you.

I\'m torn between Goligoski and Grebeshkov, my gut tells me to take Goligoski and the Pittsburgh potential, but my brain tells me that he\'s still years away from quality minutes.

Excellent read this whole series, I\'ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing the moves you made gives a good baseline for the kinds of deals worth approaching. I think the average fantasy player will be able to relate much more with this league than your other two but still enjoyed each run down equally.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don\'t know Dobbs, when you can only protect 12, I\'d take Hodgson out of your top ten and add OJ, Gomez and Bieksa.

I always lean towards the guys who are doing it now versus the prosects/suspects that MIGHT produce later. I really like Hodgson, but would not protect him over OJ or Gomez or even over a 40-45 point D-man (Bieksa), when you have no other defensemen to protect.

Obviously you need to focus on getting some offensive D-men on your roster next year.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

I...am your father.

I may do that Comish - Jokinen and Bieksa but not Gomez. Centers are too easy, I don\'t need to add two. But perhaps I don\'t keep Hodgson - I think I can move him. Who would be next in line in your opinion besides Gomez? One of the dmen? Or what about putting Samsonov on the bubble?

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

Is it me or you put 9 and I count 10 players beside your \"for sure\"?

I\'m a bit on Comish side regarding Hodgson and I would probably replace him with Jokinen and then add Bieksa and Grebeshkov. That\'ll give you two decent (not the greatest though) D to work with.

I...am your father.

Yes, sorry - good call. That\'s 10 for sure - so my plan will be to trade Hodgson for a draft pick, protect Jokinen instead.

I would lean towards Bieksa and Goligoski though boys. Grebby sits behind three quality PP QBs. I really think Goli could be the next Mike Green in two seasons and this coming season I think he\'ll get 40 points.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I\'m not entirely sold on either Grebby or Gogo. Is there any way you could trade either or both of them for something more solid?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Giant

sentium wrote:
    I\'m not entirely sold on either Grebby or Gogo. Is there any way you could trade either or both of them for something more solid?
    I\'m really on the fence on Goligoski as well. However, I know what you\'re thinking about him and he\'s certainly worth the risk over Hodgson.

I mentioned Grebeshkov because you see what you get with him. Although we don\'t know where he\'ll be next year.

I also really like Sentium\'s idea about trade them both or one of them with another guy to get a really D.

Dobber Sports Genius

I like Jokinen and Goli.

I would consider Bieksa over Hodgson.

Reason why to keep Hodgson, you\'re team doesnt look like its gonna win very soon (I may be wrong on that). Most of your keepers (Kopitar, Hodgson, Giroux, Filatov, Price, Valarmov, Goli) are still really a few years away from really starting to help out. Staal, Hemsky and Kovalchuk will all still be able to help when your young guys come around. While Jokinen might not be able to help you out that much in 3+ years, hes too good to let go.

I agree with what you said about Grebeshkov.

Bieksa isn\'t that great with no PIMs counted, plus he plays a physical game which might lead to more injuries.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

I...am your father.

I\'m trying to get Gilbert and a late pick for Hodgson. If I can swing it, then I will protect Bieksa and Gilbert. Then the problem is solved!

Administrator

joos wrote:
    Bieksa isn\'t that great with no PIMs counted, plus he plays a physical game which might lead to more injuries.
    I agree that he carries a risk of injuries but he\'s a proven 40+ point scoring defenseman. Even without PIMs he\'s a top 25 defenseman, which in a league like with 13 GMs, assume everyone keeps a minimum of 2 defensemen, Bieksa is very much a keepable asset.

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree. He is a servicable 40-45 pt guy only under a healthy season.

I would just try to find a less risky option for a #2 d-man.

2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Administrator

True, unfortunately he\'s shaping up to be his #1 d-man. Yikes!

Dobber Sports Giant

Dobber wrote:
    I\'m trying to get Gilbert and a late pick for Hodgson. If I can swing it, then I will protect Bieksa and Gilbert. Then the problem is solved!
    I really like this deal for you.

Dobber Sports Genius

metaldude26 wrote:
    True, unfortunately he\'s shaping up to be his #1 d-man. Yikes!

haha yikes indeed (not the pencils).

2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place