Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comish Dynasty League Discussion for 2009-10

Dobber Sports Master

Default Comish Dynasty League Discussion for 2009-10

i\'m looking for the league rules.
    don\'t remember if we got it via email or i just can\'t find it in the forums
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Ninja

[file name=Dynasty_League_Rules_10_10_10.doc size=61440]http://www.dobberhockey.com/images/fbfiles/files/Dynasty_League_Rules_10_10_10.doc[/file]

Copy of Email sent to all:

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to Chinny on winning the inaugural Comish Dynasty (name STILL not 100% finalized!).

I\'ve attached what I think are everyone\'s rosters. Please review them and let me know ONLY if they DON\'T match what you have for your team. Note: Bearster\'s Boys have 26 players on my list (Yahoo only allows 25, so there was no unfair advantage here, only a communication problem)

First order of business is that I really need to hear from you if you are NOT coming back next season. I\'ve heard from/about four of our guys, saying they are or might be out after the season. Please let me know, even if it means resending me an email. I just really want to be sure, because I will start contacting my list of guys (oddly enough it\'s four deep!?) who want to get in next year.

For the top 16 teams (ie. Playoff teams!), you need to email me (please CC Chinny) with your list of 11 players (F/D) and 1 goalie PRIOR to the start of the first playoff game. Once it starts, you can\'t make any changes. I know I said I won\'t be baby-sitting you guys, but if pushed, I may put up an obvious roster for someone in this, our first year. I\'m way too nice sometimes!

I\'ve also attached the most current copy of the rules. A couple of points for next year:

Do we need dummy teams next year?

The dummy teams are difficult to manage and I\'m not sure that it\'s worth the trouble. Maybe a couple of dummy teams in each Tier for guys who ask? That way you can have visibility on what\'s happening in the other Tiers? I\'m open to suggestions, but think we can manage without dummy teams if everyone is vigilant with respect to making free agent pick ups properly and reporting any odd pick ups as soon as they are noticed.

Did the extra $250 on Jan.1 help?

Very few of us are even over $1000, five I think at the moment. What if we went to a hard cap of $1000 and just left well enough alone? Would anyone oppose this? I personally would prefer a hard cap that doesn\'t move up and down. It would simplify things in my opinion.

I didn\'t like the trading and free agent picks right up until the end of the pool. I will write deadlines into the rules for next season.

I brought this up earlier, but next season, if the player isn\'t available in Yahoo, you won\'t be able to pick them up. It was already in the rules, but I missed it until it was way too late this season. This will alleviate the problem we had of collegiate players signing once their season is done.

If they actually play and are brought online by Yahoo, then we will have waivers. Waivers will be by Tiers, with the lowest place team in the lowest Tier having priority. You would have to send me an email within 48 hours of them being available in Yahoo. Same rules would apply for dropped players.

Once we determine who\'s in for next year and have all our members confirmed, I will be soliciting names for a feeder league with the top two finishers earning the right to compete in our dynasty league. I will take up to 19 people. No more waiting list for me to maintain!

That\'s more than enough for now, but if there is anything else you want to bring up, send me an email or post it in Comish\'s Corner. I\'m going to create a thread dedicated to next year\'s pool (or just hijack one!).

Cheers,

Russ
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i am in for next year, i will send my playoff roster tomorrow night after 11pm est

Dobber Sports Giant

First of all, I want to thank you Russ for everything you did for this league! Sure, it wasn\'t all set in stones when we started, but that\'s joy of being guinea pigs!

Here\'s some comments on your questions/thoughts:

Do we need dummy teams next year?

I\'ve sent an email to Yahoo about increasing the limit regarding number teams in a league. They told me that they\'re going to put this on their \"wish list\" for next year. If they did it, sure Chinny would still need to do something outside Yahoo to maintain the tiers, but it would allow everybody to use the same players pool so no more dummies, no more odd picks and less work for you when it comes down to trade (sure, you\'ll still need to approve them). However, if they can\'t do it, yeah maybe a few dummy in each tier would just be fine.

Did the extra $250 on Jan.1 help?

I\'m one of the few GMs who is over $1000 and I\'ll only be able to tell you if that help after the playoffs, but I\'ve no problem if we stick with a hard cap next year. I\'ll follow the majority on this one.

Trade and FA pickup deadlines

I\'ve no problem with this as well. However, I would make it probably more 2 weeks after the NHL trade deadline than just a few days. I think it will give us more time to evaluate the deals and the impact of the players involved.

Players not available in Yahoo

Sure I\'m happy that I won the \"Bozak\" derby, but like I said before, something must be done regarding this. Being able to pick only players available in Yahoo could be a good way to do this, but it could also bring at least one problem that I think of. How do you deal with players that have already been drafted and/or signed and are having a good year and that are not in Yahoo. A few guys in this situation have been picked up toward the end of the season (I picked Palushaj myself, and I know Maple picked up Stoa just to name a few). I think we should still be able to pick guys like this even if they\'re not in Yahoo and I don\'t see an issue if we use the new rules you\'re proposing only for guys signing through out the year. As long as it\'s written in the rules, everybody will be on the same page.

As for the waivers system, for either the new players or the dropped players, I think we should follow a priority system like the one in Yahoo. Sure, the order should be worst to last at the beginning of the season, but after this, if the last team picks a player, his waiver 1st priority should becomes the last one.

Dobber Sports Master

Im allso one of the teams over the cap and I would like to see a hard cap.

I\'ll have more to say when I get home since I don\'t want to type an essay on my phone.

I thought anyone who was drafted is eligible. Alot of drafted players are not on yahoo. What happens then?
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Guru

another vote for a hard cap. simplicity is king.

i like your other suggestions. trade deadline a little after the actual NHL deadline, like Chic suggests, also seems like a good idea.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Crazynuck wrote:
    I thought anyone who was drafted is eligible. Alot of drafted players are not on yahoo. What happens then?
    Yep, anyone who has ever been drafted or signed by an NHL team is eligible to be DRAFTED.

From the rules:

\"Any player not on another Franchise\'s roster and is available in Yahoo is eligible to be picked up\"

The reason I worded the rule like that was so that I didn\'t have to add dummy players throughout the year and it makes the draft more important.

The picking up of prospects is what the DRAFT should be for. Free agent pick ups were mostly meant to used for immediate help. If a guy like Christian Hanson signs and subsequently plays in the NHL, then he enters our league on waivers whenever Yahoo makes him available.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Giant

The Comish wrote:
    Crazynuck wrote:
    Yep, anyone who has ever been drafted or signed by an NHL team is eligible to be DRAFTED.

From the rules:

\"Any player not on another Franchise\'s roster and is available in Yahoo is eligible to be picked up\"

The reason I worded the rule like that was so that I didn\'t have to add dummy players throughout the year and it makes the draft more important.

The picking up of prospects is what the DRAFT should be for. Free agent pick ups were mostly meant to used for immediate help. If a guy like Christian Hanson signs and subsequently plays in the NHL, then he enters our league on waivers whenever Yahoo makes him available.
    Thanks for the clarification Russ. I see now where you\'re coming from with this rules and it could make sense for sure. This definitely gives more depth to our \"summer\" drafts.

Did you think about my thoughts about the waiver system? However, like I said for the dummy teams, this could get resolved all by itself if you can all be in the same league.

Dobber Sports Ninja

For the waivers, I like the idea of giving the teams in the lower tiers the advantage and since we don\'t reward sandbaggers, we would truly be giving the lesser teams a very slight advantage by using my waiver proposal. I\'m not wed to it yet, but let\'s give it some more time and thought.

If Yahoo goes to 30 teams, then we might have to consider doing away with the Tiers and go with all of us in the same league with the bottom two teams losing out.

I think I almost prefer all of us in one \"league\". Playoffs would remain 1 vs 16. Could be interesting. Plus, free agent pick ups would be a breeze - if you saw a player available, you could pick him up without all the drama that we currently have!

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree with newly signed FA\'s by NHL teams going through the waiver system for this league as well.

An example:

I scooped up Jonas Backlund pretty much when it was announced he was signed by Philly.

An interesting point was brought up, about how usually these announcements were made, which gave a great advantage to those of us who live in the eastern time zone.

After thinking about it, I tend to agree with that point.

Newly signed FA\'s going through the waiver system will give everyone, no matter what time zone, an equal shot.

I\'m also on board with a hard cap, since so few teams had to actually go over it. It\'ll just make it even more challenging, which is all good with me.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Master

The Comish wrote:
    Crazynuck wrote:

From the rules:

Thx for the explanation. Makes sense now.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Genius

stupid question... is this a h2h or roto league?
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Master

joos wrote:
    stupid question... is this a h2h or roto league?
    regular season roto and in the playoffs its a H2H 16 team bracket
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Genius

roto interesting.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey everyone,

A couple of owner changes. Noriculous and Flex Raid will not be back next season. We now have two new owners in place.

Noriculous\' team will be taken over by joos (team name TBC)

Flex Raid\'s team will be taken over by DAW (team name TBC)

I have their contact info already entered in my spreadsheet under Contacts.

I don\'t have confirmation from 20 of you whether or not you\'ll be back next season! I\'ll be sending another email out to those of you who haven\'t replied yet.