Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Rant Section

I...am your father.

Default My Rant Section

So I gave a \"rant\" section a shot. Several of you had requested as much and I loved the idea of having a place to vent about things like

- the idiot pizza joints that feel that the crumbly bacon is preferable to actual bacon strips;

- how the current recession might turn around faster if the dummies in the media would write some positive stories (i.e. an economic expert who believes it will turn around soon, or a company that posts thriving results, etc) instead of silly ones that feed the frenzy (\"housing is down 5%\" - when in the body of the story it is actually 2% but they took a select portion of the stat for their headline to incite fear and sell papers, etc)

- how clowns make a left-hand turn by sliding directly into the right lane while I slide into the left lane and then signal to go to the right lane immediately after.

So fearing some pretty passionate stuff, I put up a few simple rules of respect. So the first reply I get has 20 F-bombs in it. Sure, a funny joke to some because it contradicts one of the rules. But c\'mon. Pretend a 13-year-old is reading my site. Which there are some. The last thing I need is for their parents to scream at me, or for a company to ban me, because of a marginally funny joke.

Two replies later, someone tells me a 6-year-old wrote my goalie rankings. Geez, there is a comment section under the rankings for comments like that, if you must.

Anyway, my mistake I guess was to put rules in place outlining my fears in advance. By doing so, I made every one of them come true.

I will try the section again without the rules, when I have time to set it up all over again.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default My Rant Section

definately agree with the bacon strips. one time i ordered from pizza pizza and specifially asked for bacon strips and i got \"bacon topping\". i think the economy falling/recesiion is hyped up way to much, and i also flip when people dont know how to drive. especially when two lanes can turn left, and the clown on your left decides to go in your turning lane and cut you off in the middle of the intersection. and i wont name drop, but like i said in that thread, that user was obviously kidding but shouldnt have made a joke in a serious thread. and about your goalie rankings, seriously, if anyone can do a better one out there please show us. ive used those rankings many times, and i havent really regretted anything from that list. if your rankings werent up, i definately wouldnt remember half the goalies on that list.

Banned

Default My Rant Section

I\'m kind of pissed, I never even got to use the rant section :angry:

:laugh:

The Great One

Default My Rant Section

Wow that didn\'t last long! Its a shame that things went down that way- it was a neat idea.

Tell the goalie rankings guy to give it his own shot! Ive criticized the list before but I know tenders are enigmatic creatures and their value fluctuates wildly from league to league depending on the rules. Also any stat besides \"wins\" is extemely tough to gauge. Today Luongo, Lundy, and Nabakov are all on the outside looking in of the top ten in terms of SV%. Its extrmely tough to assess what a goalies worth is as well, because of how \"team dependant\" they are.

Bottom line is even though I dont put a lot of faith in the goalie list- I know I cant do any better. Its an honest effort and probably holds a lot of merit in your league considering the scoring system. To be insulting and condescending is a little childish imo. Sorry to hear that.

I wonder if NYR feels like an idiot now...

:S

EDIT: I never had the bacon topping stuff but my pet peeve is when you ask for tomatoes. I know its not a super common topping but I like them. The problem is you have to put them on fresh after the pizza is cooked. If you cook them it tastes like shat. The cheapskate thing I hate with food is the instant potatoes at a buffet. Seriously- does every buffet use instant? Those things are disgusting...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default My Rant Section

is the rant section closed? i would say give it another shot, dont close it because of two negative remarks especially when one of them was a joke.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default My Rant Section

Although I dont agree to taking down either of my posts on the original \"rant thread\"(How could you not see it was such a blatantly obvious joke? I wasnt undermining anybody) I want to apologize to everyone for coming across the wrong way. I think that anybody who has been a part of this site for more than 4 hours knows that I meant no disrespect with my original post.

Dobber- If anything, instead of deleting my post like a Nazi, you could have just said that you were going to leave it as an example of the kind of stuff you didn\'t want to find in any thread for that section. That would have been more reasonable. You know that im not here to stir the pot. I just figured that people would get a few chuckles out of it because it was so random and stupid. I was very surprised at how sensitive everyone got and how quickly it spiraled.

Anyway, im sorry. And no, trying to create a little humor doesnt make me feel like an idiot.

I...am your father.

Default My Rant Section

I don\'t want that much swearing. Period. Not to make a statement, but to minimize how many parents email me and how many companies ban me. Leaving it in as a joke, or as an example, won\'t change or limit the emails I get.
    Not a Nazi. Just covering my ass as quickly as possible, before the wrong person sees it.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default My Rant Section

Dobber wrote:
    [quote]So I gave a \"rant\" section a shot. Several of you had requested as much and I loved the idea of having a place to vent about things like

- the idiot pizza joints that feel that the crumbly bacon is preferable to actual bacon strips;

- how the current recession might turn around faster if the dummies in the media would write some positive stories (i.e. an economic expert who believes it will turn around soon, or a company that posts thriving results, etc) instead of silly ones that feed the frenzy (\"housing is down 5%\" - when in the body of the story it is actually 2% but they took a select portion of the stat for their headline to incite fear and sell papers, etc)

Dobbs, I\'m a manager at a certain restaurant/pizza chain that will go without name (look at my name and avatar!) and I can tell you that they know damn well that the strips are better, the crumbles are just cheaper in terms of overall food cost. And I don\'t want to come off as a conspiracy theorist, but remember that most of the information being reported by the mainstream press comes from very limited sources (AP, etc.), which are generally owned/controlled by the same people who are making HUGE money off of the fear being created in the market. It\'s easier to profit when you can control the psychology of people to some extent. It would be the same as you raising/lowering the value of keeper league players with your influence on this site and then trading accordingly in your own leagues, providing nobody knew it was you running the site (buy low, sell high, right Dobbs?).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default My Rant Section

I personally feel like this should be a no holds barred section that maybe needs a password to access or something like that because rants, by definition, usually arent language friendly. Otherwise, what\'s the point of a rant? But whatever. You own the site, you can do whatever you want. I have the 5th most posts on the site and probably the least amount of respect, so nobody listens to what I have to say anyway.

Im over it though.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default My Rant Section

Whoa! I seemed to have walked in on some sort of war between Dobber and some guy with 5000 posts... no place for a \"rookie sensation\" like myself. I\'m gettin\' the f**k outta here!

I...am your father.

Default My Rant Section

No war. What NYR said was weird. I think he took what I said personal. Not a big deal, I\'ll talk him via private messaging.

Reefer - I love your comments above - exactly what I would love to see in a rant section about those things!! I gave you +2 Karma

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default My Rant Section

Thanks D!

I...am your father.

Default My Rant Section

NYR9394 wrote:
    I personally feel like this should be a no holds barred section that maybe needs a password to access or something like that because rants, by definition, usually arent language friendly. Otherwise, what\'s the point of a rant? But whatever. You own the site, you can do whatever you want. I have the 5th most posts on the site and probably the least amount of respect, so nobody listens to what I have to say anyway.

Im over it though.
    Not true - you have a lot of respect. You are this forum\'s version of Sean Avery (that\'s a compliment, in my books) so your avatar is perfect - great contributions and occasionally outspoken. Just what I love. Your karma indicates you have a lot of fans here.

I agree that it should be a no-holds barred section, we are on the same page there. But my hands are tied. The site is so big now that I really have to start watching myself (and it sucks, but what can I do)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default My Rant Section

I thought there already WAS a rant section....and it was called DUTCH.
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Super Moderator

Default My Rant Section

NYR9394 wrote:

Im over it though.

I definitely respect what you got to say, especially when you get pissed, I love that stuff. Few people say it like you, bud. Keep \'er coming.

BrianSTC wrote:
    I thought there already WAS a rant section. . . and it was called DUTCH.
    :laugh:
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.