Thread: (Doulous Shoeless) Is Filatov worth Brodeur?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default (Doulous Shoeless) Is Filatov worth Brodeur?

I know my question doesnt seem like a natural thing to do but here is a dilemma I am preparing for many months in advance.

Every offseason my league has a waiver draft, and although its still pretty far away I\'d like to prepare for it now.

Noticing my team in sig I have a goalie \"problem\" where I can only protect two goaltenders. Luongo being the given and well Backstrom or Brodeur. Now Backstrom is younger, cheaper but then again Brodeur is Brodeur.

I\'d have a chance to trade him come seasons end, and reason i asked to trade him for Filatov, although it sets me back because I\'m trying to win again next year is because Filatov is spoke of so foundly on this site, I dont need to protect him, and he\'d stay in my farm system for two more years.

Topping it all off this GM doesnt know too much about him, and could probably squeeze out a few more rookies or picks for Brodeur(his only goalies are Gerber and Toskala)

So any thoughts? Too much? Too Little? Or do I just keep Brodeur and trade Backstrom for a player to help me out next year. It\'s alot to ask but would love any opinion.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default (Doulous ShoeIess) Is Filatov worth Brodeur?

I think that you have a good line of thinking trading Broduer for Filatov.

Your dilemna of having too many goalies is one that most of us would be envious of; usually we(ok, me!) have too few.

Instead of losing one of your goalies for nothing, you have a chance to get a top flight prospect that you can hold onto for two more years. If you can squeeze another pick/prospect along with it, all the more power to you.

Just my $.02
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Something to consider first... what will Backstrom be like if he does move from Min\'s defensive system? Will he be a dominant goalie still or will we find out he is just a product of the Min system.

If your opposite GM truly does not know the value of Filatov, why don\'t you have him included in a package where he attains Brodeur, which is obviously a big upgrade to what he currently has. I mean, Brodeur has to be good for another 2 seasons at least, one would think.

I would try targetting his best D-man and Filatov for Brodeur.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Makes sense to me for sure... as much as I\'m using all of my spare time to jinx Filatov (jinx jinx jinx) he\'s lookin pretty big on the upside. In a keeper league there\'s one rule, always move parts you can\'t keep for parts you can. Long term there is 0 downside.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Woodrow I\'ve looked over your point a million times, Backstrom leaving Minny would downgrade his value but in the end I dont see it happeneing. Gaborik is on his way out and I dont see them giving away their best goalie who fits their system perfectly. Also the defencemen is out fot he question since I cant keep him either, can only protect 3 d and well I already have 5 I\'d like to keep lol. Only good side is I cant lose a 2 d\'s only 1 and cant lose both a goalie and defencemen.

In the end I will unwillingly trade a goalie, wether it be Backstrom or Brodeur sadly(damn waiver draft). Which it will be I dont know but are there any other top flight rookies I could go after.

I already tried for Kane but that didnt work out too well(wanted Malkin lol), I could always go for the #1 overall pick in Tavares? Sucks because I want to compete again next year, and having 3 top #1 goaltenders always helps.

Dobber Sports Sage

Hey bud, any chance we can get a look at this guy\'s roster? I dont know if he checks the boards and you dont want to reveal that info...but if we had it, it\'d be easier to build a trade for you.

Brodeur should be the one to move, but you might want to move him closer to the deadline when he returns from injury...unless you think he chokes and his value goes down...(remember Turco at the beginning of the year? Yikes!)
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Ninja

I wonder if you can get someone who can help you more next year aside from Filatov. Filatov has the potential to be a great player down the road but in C-Bus and with Hitchcock, he still might not get you much help next season.

And with Brodeur and Luongo in net you could do amazingly well next season. It seems to me that if you truly think you can win next year then you trade Backstrom for some real win now talent and then go for it all.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

sakic - first of all, I think the chances Backstrom will get moved are better than the chances that he will stay. Harding is ready and Backstrom is going to cost to resign. He may get resigned but I would not bank on it.

Frankly I would move Backstrom before Brodeur. Dub doesn\'t so you need to think deeply about this. You said you can only protect 2 goalies right?

I think Filatov will produce sooner than most people here are suggesting - his upside is very high - if you can get him +, I think I would do it.

Dobber Sports Ace

How about adding Varlamov? Problem is I\'d have to activate it but not protect him in the draft.

I\'m going to offer Backstrom for Mikko Koivu and Filatov first. See what the GM says.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would see about offering Backstrom and something for Price and if that went through, I would offer Brodeur for Filatov and something.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

While I was reading through these, I had the same thoughts going on as I see Shoeless just posted.

I would make a strong push for Price.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn\'t see the number of F\'s you can keep. You have a solid 8 or 9 that could be another team\'s top 3, and if it only costs you one of those to make it happen, it would be a nice fit.

You go into next year with Price/Luongo as your goalies. Then you lose your lower end keeper but replace him with Filatov.

Backstrom, Brodeur, Morow (just throwing a name) for Price, Filatov and grab another guy from the Filatov owner.
    16 team dynasty-H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW / W, SV%, GAA, SHO
    C-Savard,Roy,Ribeiro,Sundin,Ebbett,Ott,Berglund
    LW-Korpikoski,Huselius,Samsonov,Ruutu, Pacioretty
    RW-Pominville,Gionta,D\\\'Agostini,Clarkson
    D-Rozsival,Hunwick,Schneider,Murphy,Rivet,Doughty
    G-Price,Bryzgalov,MacDonald
    IR-DiPietro,Morrow
    Farm
    Benn,Bishop,Deschamps,Kalus,Kontiola,Lashoff,Maxwe ll,Moulson,Osala,Perreault,Regin, Zatkof

Dobber Sports Ace

I like that idea alot trading for Price, I\'m not allowed to trade for him now since I traded him last season but I am in the summer and never thunk up that oppurtunity.

Thanks alot guys, as always am pleased with the outcome of responses and ideas.

Im sure to have another dilemma soon and will be back here.

Just to answer rails question, we can keep 10 forwards and yes I am definetly considering making some moves in order to fit Radulov as part of those 10 guys.