Thread: Calgary

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Calgary

Has anyone else noticed that Calgary has only 2 goals in three preseason losses? They\'ve now been shut out twice.

I know preseason is when coaches test things out and get a feel for their guys, but this is certainly pretty discerning i\'m sure for Calgary fans who (with good reason) have high hopes for this season.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re:Calgary

Is Mike Keenan back in the league?? I can hardly tell. Is this where he blows up the team and trades everyone away. I don\'t think so, this is Sutter\'s show and he knows what he is doing. Keenan will be gone before anybody else if things don\'t start well.

Keenan just better play Iggy, Tanguay and Huselius LOTS..

What do you think about Calgary\'s chances Lanky??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Never fear they will be OK..might be a while adjusting tho but they will get things on track. I think you\'ll find that they are going thru a period similar to the Canucks last yr when they adjusted to Veenyo and his system. Took the Nucks till Dec. then they took off.

Lanky... I would be pretty discerned too after reading your post.:P
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

It\'s early...very early!

I wouldn\'t get overly concerned about some poor offensive production early in pre-season in much the same way that I wouldn\'t be overly excited about big offensive numbers in the early going. Now, if the Flames should score all of 9 goals in their first 5 regular season games, I think you guys have a cause for concern :sick:

I do think that Keenan will be on a short leash and if the team gets off to a slow start, players start complaining, and Keenan starts to sit the star players, he won\'t last long...and you can bank that B)

Post edited by: Lamplighter, at: 2007/09/20 12:22

Calgary isn\'t going to score this year anyway...well not like last year.. having been to a couple practises and a game already, I can tell you the coaching staff is really stressing defensive play this year and it seems to be throwing some of the players off. I watched one particular drill where Huselius started to do his usual dangle in and out with the puck during a PP drill, and Iron Mike blew the whisle and replaced Huselius with someone else. Iginlia looks a lot trimmer than usual and even though he seems quicker, it also seems like he is having trouble fighting through traffic. Kipper looks rusty, but he always starts slow. They have been playing Lombardi between Iggy and Tangs, but it doesn\'t seem to be clicking, and Tanguay seems to be not adjusting to this sytem as well. As far as this being Sutters team...that is true, but he also sat there and watched it fall apart all last year on the road, and did nothing. Sutter is a stubborn guy, and it will have to get really bad for him to admit the guy he picked as coach is the wrong choice...we sat and watched it last year. Anyway, the emphasis for the Flames this year is to try and recapture the form of the o4 defensive team, so don\'t expect the point totals from some of the players to equal last years stats,

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the insight dynamo...I was afraid this might be the case. I thought Keenan would run the big dogs until they passed out...as he did in Florida...and I was afraid that Huselius would become his favorite pin cushion again.

It\'s looking like Calgary may become the Canadian version of the Dallas Stars...all D...no O...all the time.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Star

interesting.
    it appears i can look forward to dull nw division clashes =\\
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Though last night\'s tilt was a 5-4 OT loss for Calgary, so who knows what to predict now.

Yeah get your hands off the buttons guys. The preseason does not usually tell you much of the story till the last game or two if then. A month into the season the crystal ball should be warmed up tho. Then you can hit the panic button if you want.:P

Man I feel your pain tho with the style of hockey that alot of coaches ram down our throats.
    Personally I would rather see some excitement and creative type 5-6 games rather than stultifying 2-1 sleep inducers. A win is a win either score. But the coaches think that defensive hockey protects their jobs and its easier to coach that way too.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

doulos wrote:
    Though last night\'s tilt was a 5-4 OT loss for Calgary, so who knows what to predict now.
    The score was very decieving Doulos. Kipper and Rollie looked more like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder in net. they had both let in 4 goals on 18 shots.Five goals were horrible. The final should have been 2-1 either way. It was nowhere near as offensive as the score tells.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

sorry to be a dissenting voice here, but...

i\'ve never had any problem with defense oriented hockey at all. i just really love hockey, and sometimes when 2 extremely good teams (defensively, that is) play their A-games against each other you wind up with a low score. i find it to be more a matter of mistake-free hockey, than a boring affair. i really don\'t need the \"excitement\" of a ton of goals to enjoy a great game.

Post edited by: chuckles, at: 2007/09/24 15:10
    DEFENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dobber Sports Expert

yeah i agree, i like more than balls to the wall scoring as well.