Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consultant? Emcee?

I...am your father.

Default Consultant? Emcee?

I have agreed to go to someone\'s draft with them for a fee. That got me wondering...

Is there any interest in having me host your draft/run your draft board, etc? Call out the names, drink a couple beers with you guys afterwards, etc. I live in the GTA.

That leads me to another query - anyone in the Winnipeg area interested in the above for Burnsy? What about Edmonton and Bugg? Angus in BC? Gunther in New York? etc etc. Just putting that out there.

Thoughts?

Bids?

Post edited by: Dobber, at: 2007/09/19 21:13
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re:Consultant? MC?

Well I must say you have peaked my curiousity with this Dobber! I think there are too many GM\'s in my keeper league that have sworn allegiance to the Branch Dobbinian compound to have you walk in with me and not them, but I would like to find out what you are thinking with regards to running a league. The latest poll on your site was asking if we would like to move our pools to Dobberhockey if you added a pool manager, and my reply would be yes, provided it offered the tailoring of certain things to what we have now.

Puck
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Would running a draft for somebody include honest commentary on each pick? That would be priceless. Although for a keeper league, you\'d have to have pretty good knowledge of the pool rules and who\'s not available to be drafted.

Still... awesome.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

After seeing some of your picks in the Pro draft Dobber, maybe you should have ME accompanying YOU in the future...:whistle:

Seriously though....If a guy can\'t pick his own team, he has no business being in ANY draft. That being said, if you can take some fools cash AND have him feed you beer, all the power to you.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If anybody is interested in having me come to their and give me some beer, I\'m all for it.
    Hell... I\'m not selfish, I\'ll even let you draft your own team.:woohoo:

In all seriousness, I\'d be all for having the dobberhockey URL host my hockey team. I think the only problem that may arise would be that people feel they are giving away the only advantage they have over other poolies.
    Once people find out about your site, the rest of us suckers just turn average again.
    It\'s a catch-22 for your Dobber.

Post edited by: lfchockey, at: 2007/09/19 19:24
    Creator of the NHL Rank King iPhone app.

Dobber Sports Expert

hosting sounds like it could be neat, Dobber, but picking your own team is half the fun of fantasy hockey. If I had a guy in my league who was so obsessed that he had to have someone else pick his team for him, well, I would question his sanity. Before you go to the draft with your new client, make sure you let people know where you are going and how long you will be gone, just in case he wigs out at you.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dobber wrote:
    An interesting offer here...I\'m being paid handsomely for accompanying a poolie to his draft and helping him pick a winning team.

The money? Pretty solid. The beer? I insisted. B)

So that makes me wonder...have I stumbled onto something here? How much, if any, would you pay to have me walk into the draft with you and help you pick your guys?

That leads me to another query - is there any interest in having me host your draft/run your draft board, etc? I live in the GTA.

That leads me to yet another one - anyone in the Winnipeg area interested in the above for Burnsy? What about Edmonton and Bugg? Angus in BC? Gunther in New York? etc etc. Just putting that out there.

Thoughts?

Bids?
    Did ya ever think Dobber that maybe him paying you to go with him plus give you beer has nothing to do with hockey? I mean maybe he likes that Dobber muscle shirt on you:woohoo:

I...am your father.

I\'m more interested in emceeing drafts. I\'ll stand up in front of the group, call out the picks, write on the board, etc. and sit around for a couple of beers afterwards and talk about the proceedings. Is there a market for that?

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Repenttokyo, that\'s hilarious!

The emcee thing would work better than just walking in with one guy, I think. It would grab the interest of other poolies more effectively, leading them to the website and your pool guide.

If you walk in with one guy, it would skew the proceedings - and elicit murmurs of \"oh &%$# it\'s Dobber\" from the guys who know, and \"who dat?\" from the guys who don\'t.

What would be truly funny is if you did colour commentary as the draft proceeds, sort of like a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode...:laugh:
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber wrote:
    I\'m more interested in emceeing drafts. I\'ll stand up in front of the group, call out the picks, write on the board, etc. and sit around for a couple of beers afterwards and talk about the proceedings. Is there a market for that?

Yes there is a market for this Dobber... The Problems are.. How much would it cost.. The other problem is finding hockey pools that have gms who don\'t mind sharing there secret....

All this being said, I could not give you away to the other gms in my league... I sooner keep you to my self...

Let me also put this to you.... I will always buy your pool guide... We all can use extra help, and I\'m sure your the same way... Well its also nice to know that I have one Dobber expert in the Vancouver area... Maybe he would meet up for some beers on his own.. and talk hockey...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'d love to see the commentary our boy Dobber could provide... but like most of you prefer to keep this guru a secret.

What i\'d really like to see is Dobber on the annual TSN experts draft critiquing Bob Mackenzie, etc for their picks. Either that or showing those knuckle heads how its really done.

Or perhaps hosting some \"non-expert\" leagues for those of us getting into this stuff. Did I read somewhere that you are starting a tiered pool system where winners of 1 level move up and losers move down... any chance of expanding it to another level?
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think it\'d be a blast to feed dobb\'s a few beers and shoot the shit with him as we draft. Lemmie know the price tag dobbs.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think the idea of someone bringing you in to make their selections for them is absurd Dobber. Personally, I don\'t even see how that could be fun for someone. We all know you are a very wise fantasy hockey guru but I think we still have our own egos as well. If you made picks for me its really nothing more than an investment to make money and really thats not what fantasy hockey is about for me. Money is what makes it more interesting and it provides extra incentive but fantasy hockey is all about competing to see who knows best and if a manager brings someone else in to select for them then they are conceeding right off the bat that that person is obviously not them.

As for the emceeing idea ... I think it would be great. If you could provide a computer program projecting on the wall all the picks and announcing them I think that would be fantastic. Staying for beers afterwards and commenting on the proceedings would be even better. That is something I would definitely pay for, especially since it would make my job as a commissioner all that much more easy. B)

I...am your father.

Price would depend on location, length of draft, etc, but 200-300 bucks I\'d say, so the guys in the league would throw in 20 each.

As for bringing me in for the draft and being absurd...what if your pool had a $5000 entry fee? Would it be absurd to bring in myself for a couple hundred bucks just to consult on some picks? Just giving an example of a situation where that wouldn\'t be all that absurd...There are lots of different pool formats/types out there, for some it would be absurd, for others it would be great!

Dobber Sports Recruit

I do a 1/2 auction 1/2 snake draft. $100 cap for 3C, 4W, 2D & 2G. Then a snake for the last 12 picks. Its pretty cool. This will be our 13th season and 7th using this format.

Would Gunther be interested in that?