Thread: Fisher @ 5 for 21?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Fisher @ 5 for 21?

I mean am i totally wrong here but isnt that huge huge money for what he\'s done/capable of doing? What does this mean for the sens cap room for next year? Are they losing one of thier big guns?
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Fisher @ 5 for 21?

leaftodd wrote:
    I mean am i totally wrong here but isnt that huge huge money for what he\'s done/capable of doing? What does this mean for the sens cap room for next year? Are they losing one of thier big guns?
    There was talk of him being able to get 4-5 mill on the open market so it\'s not all that outrageous. The writing is on the wall for Redden though unless he coughs up one hell of a discount.. and/or they know Heatley is leaving so he can play back west somewhere?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The math:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...amp;forum_id=1

---------------------

Seriously! Go back, we all had Fisher making 4, Heatley making 8, Spezza making 7.3.

To pay for them, we had Redden leaving (-5.5 (1 million for his replacement) and Gerber leaving (-2.7 - 1 million for his replacement).

That saves 8.2 million in cap space next year:

So now:

Fisher is making 4 - which is 2.5 more than he was.
    Spezza should be making 7.5 when all this is said and done.
    Heatley should be making 8 when all this is done.

So that\'s an extra 3 for Spezza (against the cap) and an extra 3.5 for Heatley (against the cap)

That\'s 6.5, plus Fisher\'s extra 2.5, meaning that we\'d have to shed only 800K to have the exact same squad minus Redden and Gerber.

-------------------

Though starting to get a little top heavy for my taste (unless the cap actually goes up).

Dobber Sports Padawan

Wow they really do love it dont they. I guess i just dont see enough ottawa games to see what he really brings to the table.

To me he\'s a player who has once in his 7 nhl seasons played more than 70 games.

He\'s a guy who\'s never hit 50 points in an nhl season.

Now he\'s going to have the same general cap hit as alfredsson.

Guys in his range financially.

MIlan Hedjuk
    Brendan MOrrow
    Ales Hemsky
    Cheechoo is 1 million less

I tried to keep the ages somewhat close and make sure they had a few years left on the deal for the comparison.

I guess i really just dont see 4m out of him yet. But then thats why i do this for fun and they get paid millions for it.

Hope it works out for htem.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow! $4.2 mil. for a guy with a career high 48 points. This league is headed for another lock out.

Remember Gerber has 2 years left on his monstrous, untradeable contract (complete with a $3.7 mil cap hit).

I can\'t wait for Ottawa to have major cap problems, that\'s going to be funny.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

narduch wrote:
    Wow! $4.2 mil. for a guy with a career high 48 points. This league is headed for another lock out.

Remember Gerber has 2 years left on his monstrous, untradeable contract (complete with a $3.7 mil cap hit).

I can\'t wait for Ottawa to have major cap problems, that\'s going to be funny.
    If Ryan Smyth is worth 6.2 in Colorado then 4.2 isn\'t a huge stretch... if Fisher was actually healthy more often. The only big knock against him (other than injuries) is that he has hands of stone - everything else; vision, speed, heart, etc are all top notch.

Because the extension was signed so early won\'t some of the cap hit be spread into this year? Either way, while resigning Fisher was an org priority, I wish they had moved Gerber first; now I\'m afraid we\'ll have to pay a team to take him.

edit: coincidentally the same numbers Scott Hartnell (another max 48 point / 70 game player) got in Philly and Jason Blake got in Toronto

Post edited by: YearOfTheFish, at: 2007/09/17 16:03

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The cap hit won\'t start until next season:

http://nhlnumbers.com/ott.html

This season, Fischer will only count as $1.5 mil.

Bringing up other overpayed players simply proves my point that the NHL is headed for another disaster.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

narduch wrote:
    Bringing up other overpayed players simply proves my point that the NHL is headed for another disaster.
    He arguably brings more intangibles than they do -- something that\'s very easy to over/under value and almost meaningless in fantasy hockey anyways!