Thread: Top F. Hockey mags

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Top F. Hockey mags

If you guys were to rate the best Fantasy hockey mags.. what would they be and in what order... and reason why they are better if you can.. thanks guys...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re:Top F. Hockey mags

I\'m excluding Dobber because it\'s not really a magazine. For the first year I am using Dobber as my primary source, mainly because last year at draft time I was unable to print it out or prep enough for my draft due to having just moved cross-country.

1. The Hockey News - It\'s comprehensive in the # of projections it gives. It\'s slipped a little this year, and for the first time I feel an argument could me made for the sports forecaster. In the past it was the unchallenged bible, and it should still be held up at the top because the projections are still usually pretty good.

2. Sports Forecaster - The team by team aspect is impressive. More comprehensive look at each team, but they miss projections on some prospects and even some border line players, a lot more often than does the hockey news. They\'re the fast rising challenger and if The Hockey News hasnt yet taken notice it suggests that maybe the hockey news isnt as wise as it used to be.

3. McKeens - Comprehensive prospect lists. Nice team by team section. They do everything well but nothing spectacularly. I find that some projections dont make sense. They do however have the best prospect lists but they dont come with projections for many of the close to the NHL guys. All in all a solid magazine. I bought all of the top 3, and gave this one away after reading it.

Tied for 4. Cosmo/Elle/Mademoiselle/Chatelaine - All useless, and if you\'re using one of these you\'re screwed cause they\'re not going to help you at all, although you may be the best dressed and most sensitive guy at your draft.

73.(I think this # makes my point) Hockey the Magazine - Put every other magazine in the world in front of this magazine in terms of use as a fantasy hockey magazine. This magazine will actually hurt you it is that bad. I\'ve ranted about this before. This is the magazine to get your competitors, give it to them as gifts, especially if they like shiny objects, this will fascinate them for ages upon ages.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like the Score forecaster... the predictions seem more realistic than some of the others. Hockey the magazine was a disapointment, and THN the Ultimate Pool Guide was also not bad. Dobber wrote a bit in the Score and THN i believe.

Just my 2 cents
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

big_dl wrote:
    73.(I think this # makes my point) Hockey the Magazine - Put every other magazine in the world in front of this magazine in terms of use as a fantasy hockey magazine. This magazine will actually hurt you it is that bad. I\'ve ranted about this before. This is the magazine to get your competitors, give it to them as gifts, especially if they like shiny objects, this will fascinate them for ages upon ages.
    Glad to know i\'m not the only one who hated it.... I was being kind at first because I wasn\'t sure if Dobber or anyone else here was a contributor... but it looked impressive at Chapters, then when i got it home and had a closer look, I wanted my $ back
    13 team points only keeper
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D and 1G plus 5 player bench
    Keep 6 plus entire farm

C: Lecavalier, Ribeiro
    LW: Elias, Booth
    RW: Kessel, Pominville
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester
    G: Pavelic

Bench: Malkin, Savard, Langenbrunner, Markov, Brouwer
    Farm: Frolik, Gagner, Little, Turris, B. Connolly, Kuznetsov, Ekman-Larson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

big_dl wrote:
    Tied for 4. Cosmo/Elle/Mademoiselle/Chatelaine - All useless, and if you\'re using one of these you\'re screwed cause they\'re not going to help you at all, although you may be the best dressed and most sensitive guy at your draft.
    I disagree. Not only do you want to win, but you want to look good while winning. And you want to be sensitive to the feelings of the guy whose favourite player you swiped from in front of him in the snake draft.

big_dl wrote:
    It made my eyes bleed.
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

I...am your father.

DAW wrote:
    If you guys were to rate the best Fantasy hockey mags.. what would they be and in what order... and reason why they are better if you can.. thanks guys...
    I will have a very thorough article outlining that very topic shortly...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Big_dl - I sent you an email...B)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobber, I didnt receive anything. This worries me, cause now I think I may have gotten an e-mail for the entry division of the dobber pool and just never received it. If you send me an e-mail at [email protected] I\'ll get it for sure.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for the review. I posted one about 6 months ago that I had originally written for some American friends who were interested in starting a hockey pool.

I generally rank them:

1- Forecaster
    2- Mckeens
    3- THN
    followed by the rest.

The main review article was nice but I think there should be a chart with the categories so we can see how they all compare. The independent reviewer comments are helpful but a description of the scoring system would also allow for yearly comparisons.

For Example: Hockey the Magazine Pooler\'s Guide 2007-2008
    I believe it is in it\'s 2nd year of production.
    Aesthetically fantastic but weak on insight compared to Forecaster and McKeens. Although it is much better than last year. They definite added some unique chart and stats, such as bargains, that other magazines do not.

I think an expert review coinciding with a forum poll would be a fantastic annual addition.

I...am your father.

big_dl wrote:
    Dobber, I didnt receive anything. This worries me, cause now I think I may have gotten an e-mail for the entry division of the dobber pool and just never received it. If you send me an e-mail at [email protected] I\'ll get it for sure.
    That\'s where I sent it - add me to your safe list and send me an email. I\'ll reply to it - that should work.

Dobber Sports Padawan

done and done.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If my sending you the e-mail didnt work, first im going to shoot someone at hotmail cause this is ridiculous, but send the e-mail to [email protected]

I...am your father.

Got a little busy - finally sent it to the hotmail one...