Thread: Leafs\' Bell suspended indefinitely

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Leafs\' Bell suspended indefinitely

Sources tell TSN Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell has been suspended indefinitely without pay after being placed into stage two of the NHL\'s substance abuse program.

In order to be reinstated, Bell will require the recommendation of program doctors along with the approval of both the National Hockey League and the NHLPA.

In August, the 27 year old Bell pleaded no contest to drunk driving and hit and run charges.

Charges, stemming from an incident in California September 1st, 2006, that will force Bell to serve six months in county jail at the end of the season.

Sources say Bell\'s plea encouraged his placement into stage two as outlined by the substance abuse program even though more than a year has passed since the incident took place.

Further league involvement has yet to be determined.

The NHL could defer to the discipline specified in the program along with the opinion of the programs doctors. Or, the possibility of an additional suspension exists if the league decides a stronger message needs to be delivered.

The Maple Leafs acquired Bell in June along with goaltender Vesa Toskala in a trade with the San Jose Sharks.

The Leafs will open training camp on September 13th. The substance abuse program\'s doctors will determine to what degree Bell will be able to participate.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re:Leafs\' Bell suspended indefinitely

Jeez I thought stage 2 was getting sent to TO to play.

I bet both Bell and the Leafs knew this was coming and I further bet Bell will be in training camp, with no further NHL action.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This makes no sense at all. Why didn\'t the league do something right after the accident if they cared so much?

I think the league may have been under pressure by MADD and is trying to make it look like they won\'t tolerate drinking and driving.

I\'m pretty sure Bell won\'t miss any action, if the reports that he has not touched alcohol since the accident are true.

I...am your father.

It\'s NHL policy if a player is found guilty, nothing more. Just TSN stating something that was already known if one knew where to look.

He\'ll be in camp, but will miss exhibition games. By Game 1 of the season, he\'ll be in the lineup.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In other words, its a formality. But in Toronto, its a media frenzy!

Dobber Sports Genius

yep thats about right,just imagine if they ever win the cup again,lol.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The NHL has just suspended Bell for 15 games.
    http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/255783

I think that\'s fairly stupid and harsh. What about Bouwmeester? What about the underage drinking of Staal? We\'re going to be heading down a slippery slope if the NHL starts handing out suspensions for actions off ice like this.

I think what Heatley did was much worse, as much as I think drinking and driving is stupid.

Is the NHL trying to be the NFL?

Dobber Sports Novice

My sentiments exactly. Bettman has been watching how real leagues are run (ie the NFL) and he\'s trying to emulate them.

When is Chris Chelios gonna get on Bettman\'s case and have him ousted?

Dobber Sports Ninja

bongio wrote:
    When is Chris Chelios gonna get on Bettman\'s case and have him ousted?
    Maybe Chelios should invite Bettman to one of his restaurants for dinner?hmy:
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh that landed you some karma baby - too good Comish. I may stop laughing tomorrow.