Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PGA Tour Merges with...

Dobber Sports Titan

Default PGA Tour Merges with...

The PGA Tour, DP World Tour, and LIV Golf have agreed to merge to form a new commercial entity to unify golf. Official announcement coming today.

PGA guilt tripped it's fans and golfers about taking Saudi money, fake banned players who left, and now are taking that Saudi money. I hated PGA's response to LIV from the get go as it reminded me of Taxis and Uber. You can't be upset about competition and be a kid who takes the ball and goes home. That's what PGA was doing.

I can't wait for the quotes/reports from guys like Rory who sided with PGA.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: PGA Tour Merges with...

Wow the Liv golfers are making out like bandits. Got the bonus money and still get to play all three tours. I would be kind of pissed if I was the guys who stayed.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Titan

PGA never communicate this decision with their players apparently, and they found out when we did. "Shocked and Confused" "Disgusted. They didn't tell us anything" are some quotes from players.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    PGA never communicate this decision with their players apparently, and they found out when we did. "Shocked and Confused" "Disgusted. They didn't tell us anything" are some quotes from players.
    I love golf but the PGA tour seems like they are run just brutally. I mean you have all these players deflect including Phil Mickelson who was publicly talking about the how the tour needed changes. Then when they do, they start upping the purses and adding events, reactively. Now they merge without telling the current members who stuck by them and called out Liv Publicly?

It came down to what it always does, Money. I love how the general public always makes all these narratives up, but at the end of the day as sad as it is, mostly every decision comes down to the dollar.

Dobber Sports Star

This is basically the Saudi sovereign wealth fund (i.e., the Royal Family) buying the PGA Tour. The LIV golfers did make out like bandits.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's funny after the past year of public bloodshed and talk of ethics and principles, the PGA sells its soul...

I feel bad for the chumps like McIlroy who publicly defended the PGA like puppets... they lost out on a once in a lifetime payday

money always wins

Luckily for us, the Saudis will never be interesting in buying the NHL

Dobber Sports Superstar

This is such a wild announcement. I did not even see a hint of this being a possibility in the media. You would think some out there reports would have existed prior but not a one that I saw.

I agree that the Saudis played the PGA tour hard. They previously tried to become major investors/sponsors of the tour, and the PGA said a hard no.
    So the Saudis basically worked a long con, creating a rival tour which then forced a merger and got the Saudis a seat at the table.
    Saudis ultimately got exactly what they wanted and do not care if they have to spend an extra $2billion to do so.

I am sooooo interested to know the details of the LIV signing bonus'. Were they paid all in cash on day 1, or were they paid over years? Were they conditional on 5 years service ?
    Will the PGA Tour try and levy fines and give those to the loyalists? Even a massive fine is nothing given the rumored values for signing bonus' for the top stars.

I feel bad for Rory, he became the face of the PGA Tours "hold the line" mantra and must have turned down some massive cash to do so. His reward is a giant slap in the face.
    I also feel like Phil Mickelson has been largely vindicated. To Phil's credit he was the first guy lined up to take the LIV money, and raised legitimate grievances with the PGA Tour and its policies. Phil took a ton of flack early for signing up when other stars were non-committal and then as more stars joined they never took the same flak Phil did.
    Finally, many of Phil's grievances were addressed by the PGA Tour, showing they were legitimate. I think Phil is very business savvy, even if he is also a dick.

It will be very interesting to see what the 2024 season looks like for this new PGA. Full Swing on Netflix is going to be awesome.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

The PGA should have waited them out. I don't believe the LIV Tour would have lasted much longer.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I hope Rory McIlroy puts a sharpened club shaft through Monahan's heart.

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't feel bad for any of these millionaires. They will be hissing and pissed about it until they make even more crazier money from the next tourney. That newly appointed CEO of the whole thing is the worst of them all. But once again, money talks so I can't say I'm shocked. Surprised maybe but shocked? No.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Rory McIlroy who sits on the Tour Policy Board didn't know about this, Tiger Woods didn't know about it. Tour players asked how Jay Monahan will survive this and from one player "He won't. He can't". Some players are asking if they can take legal action against the decision. Some players don't care, some are pissed. It's actually crazy how this went down.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, Rory, Tiger and the PGA stars were kept in the total dark by Jay Monahan. Talk about Machiavellian.

Monahan basically made out like a bandit and ****ed over his staunchest supporters who passed on hundreds of millions. What a pig.

I am sure the deal involves the LIV players getting a slap on the wrist and being let back into the tour. It's the PGA players who get royally ****ed here. Same result - less the hundreds of millions they could've made.

Dobber Sports Genius

Again, as I stated above it's the hypocrisy that I am mad about. People are so gullible. I remember when the LIV golf first started, and the PGA Tour, the players and reporters all talked in length about how evil the Saudi's are and that it's blood money, heck they even said how it was a slap to 911 victims (which now looking back is just despicable). People all got on board and supported the PGA like it was some righteous organization, well it came down to what it always does money.

Even Trump had this quote a year ago...

“All of those golfers that remain 'loyal' to the very disloyal PGA, in all of its different forms, will pay a big price when the inevitable MERGER with LIV comes, and you get nothing but a big 'thank you' from PGA officials who are making Millions of Dollars a year,”

Dobber Sports Titan

It's awful how many fell for the "blood money" thing when PGA is sponsored by a bunch of companies that get their money from Saudi investments.

I would have taken the Saudi money, taken a cut, and given it to PGA players if they cared getting the money straight from the source.

I also didn't like when guys tried to make it sound like they were leaving not for the money. I'd admit I sold out instantly. You'd get less overall pushback after a large pushback at the start.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Again, as I stated above it's the hypocrisy that I am mad about. People are so gullible. I remember when the LIV golf first started, and the PGA Tour, the players and reporters all talked in length about how evil the Saudi's are and that it's blood money, heck they even said how it was a slap to 911 victims (which now looking back is just despicable). People all got on board and supported the PGA like it was some righteous organization, well it came down to what it always does money.

Even Trump had this quote a year ago...

“All of those golfers that remain 'loyal' to the very disloyal PGA, in all of its different forms, will pay a big price when the inevitable MERGER with LIV comes, and you get nothing but a big 'thank you' from PGA officials who are making Millions of Dollars a year,”
    In America, $$$$$ always trumps hypocracy. Best example of this is in government. It's rampant and America has given up integrity for corruption. Particularly on the right, where trump normalized it.