Thread: Advice for a rebuilding team

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Advice for a rebuilding team

Haven't done one of these in a t least a decade in any league.

Looking for some advice as the best approach.
    I was 3rd best overall last year (through the season) and 1st the previous year but due to crippling NHL cap ceiling and constant players getting raises I've lost Gaudreau, Horvat, Krieder and downgraded Rantanen to Keller in the last 2 years. With Horvat now not as good value for money (and him now traded out for AA and Veleno) I feel the team might need a full overhaul.
    I just traded Pionk for Killorn and a 2nd. But think I need to be careful with anything further as I don't need to go full firesale and be in the abyss for 5 years...

Everyone holding a 1st in 23 is after the moon in value for unproven kids. I got told Suzuki might get me 6th overall as an example but it would depend on the add-ons (his cap space etc).

Team is
    JG Pageau, Suzuki, Veleno, Khaira, Stenlund
    Deslauriers, Marchand, N Ritchie, Paul (c), Stutzle, AA
    Allsion, Konecny, Keller, Lewis, Killorn
    Boqvist, Letang, Forsling, Merrill, Kovacevic, Skjei

Hart, Gustavsson

All good prospects were mostly traded away in 21 and 22 trying to win the league. I do have some decent bottom 6 prospects (eg Barron) and Robin Salo but no blue chippers, best F prospect is probably Kovalenko. G is a little better with Tarasov, Stauber and Holm. I have the 16th and 23rd picks in this years draft plus some 3rd rounders and beyond.

League is a 24 team H2H league that has the same cap as NHL with 3c, 3lw, 3rw, 3f, 6d, 1G and 4 reserves spots. We count G,A, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, hit, blk, FOW and Wins, GAA, sv, Sv%, SHO.

Centers hold extra value with their own category in FOW. But Cap space holds a lot of value too currently. D hold very little value if they don't offer good hit/blks or aren't the likes of previous years Letang or Makar.

My thoughts
    Shift older vets like Marchand, Letang, Killorn and maybe Pageau for best offers around that include blue chips/1st or a combo.
    Try and maintain core of Suzuki, Stutzle, Keller, Konecny, Paul, Gustavsson.
    Gain another 1st or 2 in 23 or 24 draft and/or blue chip prospects with the depth players I have.

I figure most people straight up tanked for this year so maybe less will still be tanking next year, but i understand next years draft class top tier may be comparable to the 2nd - 5th level players in this years draft??

Am I on the right train of thought here?
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Advice for a rebuilding team

Personally, if you were 1st two years ago and 3rd last year... you are still a top team that would be better off competing.
    If I'm you, I'm more looking at the nickles & dimes - how to create them.

You've got great value in Hart & Gustavsson & Marchand.
    Konecny is back for upcoming season.

My advice might be to switch directions and look at taking some risks on "older" (I know) players that might have great value.

James van Riemsdyk is one I like. He didn't do nearly $7m of worth... but he's coming up on a UFA.
    I think he's gonna get around $3m or $4m... but I think on the right team he could provide $5m in stats.

Jon Toews is another guy. I know people think he might retire... I don't.
    I think he'll sign a fairly low contract to play in a lockerroom he likes. Maybe as C3 in Dallas... or Tampa Bay.

Like your league, a lot of NHL teams are pinched for cap.
    So you could take some risks on NHL-UFAs that are "fringe" and maybe find some good deals.

Andreas Athanasiou and Jujhar Khaira are both UFAs for Chicago.
    If they sign at NHL minimum - great deal for you.
    If they don't sign in NHL or sign for much more - not a good deal.

Think about things like that.

Personally - I'd go about seeing if you could make an offer of Athanasiou for JVR.
    AA is coming off a 40pt year where he got those points by opportunity of minutes in Chicago - they may not re-sign him...
    And other clubs may not be interested.
    It wouldn't completely surprise me if he doesn't get an NHL contract.
    He's a minus player that is scoring-centric, but doesn't have complete NHL game.

Where AA is 28 years old and had 40pts, JVR is 34 years old and had 29pts (at $7m).
    Most fantasy GMs probably want AA over JVR... but I'm betting JVR is the better scorer this coming year.

Your league - using NHL cap - IS very tight.
    That's tough.
    You have to make every dollar count.
    And... these days the NHL IS giving the money to the youngsters.

The vets who have made a ton of NHL cash, I think, will still take minimal contracts to be in an NHL lockerroom.
    I think it's a great time to look at older UFAs in cap leagues.
    Switch your mind to that... look through all 32 NHL teams on capfriendly... find the older UFAs and say "What do I think this guy has left in the tank? What will he be offered?"

I think there's value there in you going for one or two more years of competing.
    As you say - your league is "youth centric"... so if they are going that way... go the other way.

NHL GMs are keen these guys.
    When they give a 35 year old a 3yr x $3m contract... they are hoping to get a $4m, then $3m, then $2m season out of them.
    So you want to sign up for that $4m season on a $3m contract and go for it with your team.

Rebuild some other time. I think you've got one or two more years to go for it.
    That's my 2 cents on your team.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Advice for a rebuilding team

As usual, Pengwin is all over this and giving sage advice. All I would say to enforce the point, is that a retool rather than a rebuild is what you need to move forward with. There are hundreds of ways to do this, Pengwin has laid out a few strategies, but there are other options for sure. You do not want to totally blow your team up, rather, make some key moves to remain completive.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf