Thread: Kadri to COL?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Kadri to COL?

I have not seen any rumours or speculation about this so it is really just me musing. Maybe it was just Sutter, but Kadri did not work in Calgary. I also believe Colorado really did want to re-sign Kadri and just did not have the cap space. He fit in well there and 2C was really their biggest problem that they never were able to fix. They now have a big hole of cap space with Landeskog's (possibly career ending) injury, and no real clarity on Nichuskin's status. I wonder if Colorado would be interested in re-acquiring Kadri, filling that 2C role. I don't even know if Calgary would get much for assets back, but would both teams do like Kadri (Calgary retains $1M) for Alex Newhook? TBH I was thinking a 2nd, but Colorado doesn't have any of those, and I don't think a 2025 3rd would get it done. Maybe Kadri (Calgary retains $2M) + 2024 3rd for 2023 1st? I'm not fully settled on the return yet, but at a baseline what do you think on each teams interest on Kadri back to Colorado?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Kadri to COL?

It's a solid starting point to speculate. Kadri was great in Colorado, and did not work in Calgary.
    The biggest question for Conroy as GM is: re-tool or re-build and does Kadri fit into either of those plans. Kadri is a good NHL player, and a great 2C, but is getting older (32) and the way he plays will not get better with age. The biggest problem is the contract, Kadri has 6 more years at $7million (OUCH!), he will be 39 when the contract is up.
    If Conroy is prepared to tear the team down in full re-build I think moving Kadri for his age and contract makes sense.

The Flames are at least re-tooling, their window is a few years down the road. The Avalanche could be a contender/re-tooling team in "win now" mode.
    Salary retention is tough given that its for 6 more full seasons, if Kadri were moved back to Colorado makes sense, especially if Landeskog is done.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm not sure it's a case of Kadri "not working out" in Calgary as much as its a case of Calgary getting the real Kadri. They just paid for his big career year. Even going back to his previous career seasons in Toronto when he was playing 82 games, his career high in points was 55-61pts. He had 56pts in Calgary.

Would going back to Colorado help his production compared to what he did in Calgary? It's not out of the question but to me, Calgary got the real Kadri. He is what he is; a 55-60pt 2C.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Acquiring 6 more years of Kadri who will be 33 later this year is risky.

With as much cap space Colorado has, they can take some inefficient/filler contracts off other teams if they so choose since theyd have to overpay in free agency presumably anyways. Guys like Christian Dvorak, Conor Garland, Brock Boeser and etc come to mind.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm not sure it's a case of Kadri "not working out" in Calgary as much as its a case of Calgary getting the real Kadri. They just paid for his big career year. Even going back to his previous career seasons in Toronto when he was playing 82 games, his career high in points was 55-61pts. He had 56pts in Calgary.

Would going back to Colorado help his production compared to what he did in Calgary? It's not out of the question but to me, Calgary got the real Kadri. He is what he is; a 55-60pt 2C.
    Kadri not working out had nothing to do with his point totals. $7M for 60 points for a 2C is perfectly fine. It’s more about attitude, locker room fit, effort level, etc.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Kadri not working out had nothing to do with his point totals. $7M for 60 points for a 2C is perfectly fine. It’s more about attitude, locker room fit, effort level, etc.
    Again, maybe Calgary got the real Kadri. Those types of things you mention are simple due diligent questions that can be posed by management and pro scouts. Also, if he didn't want to be there, he shouldn't have signed there.

Also, maybe the issue isn't Kadri but was the coach. It seemed a lot of players had issues with the things you mentioned and didn't perform up to expectations and a lot of that can be chalked up to Sutter's coaching style. Conroy seems hellbent to change the culture and attitude around the dressing room and organization so maybe things will be different in year two for Kadri with a new coach.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I wouldn't say Kadri "worked out" in Colorado. More like he played superb when he was set to earn a paycheck. In his other two seasons there he was nothing special. And lo and behold he played at the same level this past season for the Flames. At his age, and with these red flags, I wouldn't touch him if I was Colorado.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post

With as much cap space Colorado has, they can take some inefficient/filler contracts off other teams if they so choose since theyd have to overpay in free agency presumably anyways. Guys like Christian Dvorak, Conor Garland, Brock Boeser and etc come to mind.
    Great post. I didn't realize Kadri is that old with the term left. Put Rantanen at #2C and acquiring a wing for cheap might be their best option.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

I don’t think it’s time to move Newhook either. He’s just getting used to the NHL. He needs another season to see what he’s really got.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

With the cap savings that they get from Landeskog... you think they would rather take a chance on Bertuzzi or Domi or Bunting then bring back an older Kadri that they have to trade for to get.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    With the cap savings that they get from Landeskog... you think they would rather take a chance on Bertuzzi or Domi or Bunting then bring back an older Kadri that they have to trade for to get.
    Maybe Debrincat…

The Great One

Better yet PLD.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post

It begins. Ryan Johansen for 2 years at 4m for absolutely nothing.

I’m not saying Calgary would have kept $3M on Kadri for 6 more years, but Kadri was a much better player than Johansen this past year. The concept was sound.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I’m not saying Calgary would have kept $3M on Kadri for 6 more years, but Kadri was a much better player than Johansen this past year. The concept was sound.
    definitely sound concept, the fun part is seeing how easily/cheaply teams wanna dump decent players