Thread: What direction should be taken?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What direction should be taken?

Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well! League info should be in my signature, will leave some here that i couldn't fit in.

Key Prospects:
    Gauthier, Miroshnichenko, Firkus, Mintyukov, Casey, Havelid, Cossa for that roster, 24 minor and main roster spots and also have the 7th overall pick in the rookie draft this summer.

Main question is, I feel that this team could be moving close to a contender in 2 seasons or so with the core guys and prospects looming. However, I am unsure if that's a realistic timeline and if it isn't, is there any clear at least positions to try and get some upgrades on to make that 2-3 year timeline? Thinking RW is potentially the least high end position skater wise, as the other positions feel pretty good but any suggestions would be much appreciated
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: What direction should be taken?

Yes, I agree. I think you've got some good pieces there! Maybe "perform poorly" one more year (via trades and the like), and then start to push into the playoff conversation.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    Yes, I agree. I think you've got some good pieces there! Maybe "perform poorly" one more year (via trades and the like), and then start to push into the playoff conversation.
    Appreciate the feedback man! Any specific guys you see that I should consider moving to better fit that window?
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Superstar

IMO, I know it's a deep league but a better #2 defender than Girard stands out to me. Ryan Strome does not fit that timeline so maybe look to move him. A package of him and Saad for example in a league this large is good depth to perhaps get an upgrade at D. Both together are worth a 40 point defender, maybe target someone sneaky like Mike Matheson who is still decently young.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kawee View Post
    Appreciate the feedback man! Any specific guys you see that I should consider moving to better fit that window?
    I'd say Saad and most of your goalies should be moved. You'll need to get deeper there to really be strong in a couple years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    IMO, I know it's a deep league but a better #2 defender than Girard stands out to me. Ryan Strome does not fit that timeline so maybe look to move him. A package of him and Saad for example in a league this large is good depth to perhaps get an upgrade at D. Both together are worth a 40 point defender, maybe target someone sneaky like Mike Matheson who is still decently young.
    Good point, was looking at Strome and Saad to try and get at least another D man in the Girard level, and definitely better than a Middleton/McCabe type offensively. Will see what's out there thank you for the insight!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockies & Hockeys View Post
    I'd say Saad and most of your goalies should be moved. You'll need to get deeper there to really be strong in a couple years.
    For sure, I think another goalie alongside Husso/Cossa that's more reliable health wise would be huge, will look into it! Thank you
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree that this team is going to look good in 2-3 years.
    Cozens, Kent Johnson, Tomasino, Jiricek should all be re really *popping* by then.

Agree w/others that Ryan Strome is on the wrong side of his career arc... he turns 30 this next January.
    I'd try to move him if he gets off to a hot start for a talent-starved ANA team.

Similar for Josh Anderson.

You've got a great cap-saving player in Tage Thompson's contract.
    Knowing that, don't be afraid to "buy" some overpriced players that are not attractive in your league.

If you have the balls for it... consider buying a guy like James vanRiemsdyk right now.
    I think JVR will get an NHL contract... but I think it'll be more like $4m... he's aging... but the first few years of that he could do good production.

One mistake people make in cap leagues is to write a guy off as "too old".
    But you can also get a good deal on an aging player.

Look at Joe Pavelski - he re-signed for the coming year at $3.5m. That's insane value in fantasy leagues.
    So... don't be afraid of that.

Jon Toews is another guy.
    I, personally, don't think he's done. I think he needs a change of location.
    He might sign a Ryan-Suter-like contract... 3yr x $3m. And he could provide good value there.

Try offering a guy like Saad ($4.5m) for Jon Toews or JVR.
    Worst case, Toews retires and you've "dropped" Saad.

Be on the lookout over next 2-3 years for guys like that.
    Age 32-35 year olds who seem to be aging well but will take a lower contract.

Couple those with your youth.

There's a few prospects who haven't put up "sexy" numbers since being drafted that I would target:
    i) Cole Sillinger (CBJ pushed him into NHL to fast... he'll be good... but doesn't have NHL numbers to support it)
    ii) William Eklund (SJ held him in AHL, I think - as a measure of safe-guarding him and tanking a bit. They'll have great player incoming with #4 pick. And Eklund should be full-time NHL next year)
    iii) Brennan Othmann (NYR). He's gonna be a good player for the capped out NYR to slide into the line-up. His last OHL season wasn't statistically great - but he was great leader for Petes and could do less on score sheet.
    iv) Yegor Chinakov (CBJ). I think he's got nice upside and we'll see it this year. Once the CBJ back-end is improved (healthy Werenski, Jiricek) those points will trickle into the front-end players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I agree that this team is going to look good in 2-3 years.
    Cozens, Kent Johnson, Tomasino, Jiricek should all be re really *popping* by then.

Agree w/others that Ryan Strome is on the wrong side of his career arc... he turns 30 this next January.
    I'd try to move him if he gets off to a hot start for a talent-starved ANA team.

Similar for Josh Anderson.

You've got a great cap-saving player in Tage Thompson's contract.
    Knowing that, don't be afraid to "buy" some overpriced players that are not attractive in your league.

If you have the balls for it... consider buying a guy like James vanRiemsdyk right now.
    I think JVR will get an NHL contract... but I think it'll be more like $4m... he's aging... but the first few years of that he could do good production.

One mistake people make in cap leagues is to write a guy off as "too old".
    But you can also get a good deal on an aging player.

Look at Joe Pavelski - he re-signed for the coming year at $3.5m. That's insane value in fantasy leagues.
    So... don't be afraid of that.

Jon Toews is another guy.
    I, personally, don't think he's done. I think he needs a change of location.
    He might sign a Ryan-Suter-like contract... 3yr x $3m. And he could provide good value there.

Try offering a guy like Saad ($4.5m) for Jon Toews or JVR.
    Worst case, Toews retires and you've "dropped" Saad.

Be on the lookout over next 2-3 years for guys like that.
    Age 32-35 year olds who seem to be aging well but will take a lower contract.

Couple those with your youth.

There's a few prospects who haven't put up "sexy" numbers since being drafted that I would target:
    i) Cole Sillinger (CBJ pushed him into NHL to fast... he'll be good... but doesn't have NHL numbers to support it)
    ii) William Eklund (SJ held him in AHL, I think - as a measure of safe-guarding him and tanking a bit. They'll have great player incoming with #4 pick. And Eklund should be full-time NHL next year)
    iii) Brennan Othmann (NYR). He's gonna be a good player for the capped out NYR to slide into the line-up. His last OHL season wasn't statistically great - but he was great leader for Petes and could do less on score sheet.
    iv) Yegor Chinakov (CBJ). I think he's got nice upside and we'll see it this year. Once the CBJ back-end is improved (healthy Werenski, Jiricek) those points will trickle into the front-end players.
    Thank you deeply for all the suggestions and players to add to that, it helps a lot! I will definitely take a look at those types of players for Strome and Saad who have too much term and don't produce enough, along with some of those prospects you mentioned and others.

I did get an offer for my Tomasino and Firkus for Terry and a 2023 3rd which would be 55th overall. I do like Terry a lot but is it worth pulling the trigger on a deal like that?
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team: