View Poll Results: Which five UFAs will be the biggest fantasy disappointments in 2023-24?

Voters
58. This poll is closed
  • Frederick Andersen ($5.15M)

21 36.21%
  • Ivan Barbashev ($4.08M)

5 8.62%
  • Tyler Bertuzzi ($6.55M)

12 20.69%
  • Patrice Bergeron ($5.86)

4 6.90%
  • Michael Bunting ($5.77M)

24 41.38%
  • Max Domi ($5.96M)

27 46.55%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.15M)

7 12.07%
  • Tristan Jarry ($6.44M)

14 24.14%
  • Patrick Kane ($6.39M)

25 43.10%
  • Alex Killorn ($5.03M)

11 18.97%
  • John Klingberg ($6.68M)

26 44.83%
  • Ryan O’Reilly ($5.88M)

8 13.79%
  • Dmitri Orlov ($5.07M)

5 8.62%
  • James van Riemsdyk ($3.46M)

13 22.41%
  • Evan Rodrigues ($2.46M)

2 3.45%
  • Cam Talbot ($3.75M)

15 25.86%
  • Vladimir Tarasenko ($5.93M)

19 32.76%
  • Tomas Tatar ($3.70M)

4 6.90%
  • Jonathan Toews ($2.54M)

10 17.24%
  • Jason Zucker ($4.47M)

14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE: UFAs Who'll Disappoint

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE: UFAs Who'll Disappoint

We all know that there will be those among this summer's UFAs to be who disappoint. Heck, chances are most won't be worth what they get paid. But who stands to be the biggest disappointments? That's where your votes will decide!

There are a lot of ground rules, so please read these before voting:
    1) Vote for exactly five players - those who you foresee as the most likely to be the biggest UFA disappointments
    2) When I say disappointment, I mean strictly in fantasy
    3) If two players disappoint equally, the one who is getting paid more is the bigger disappointment
    4) I'm talking about disappointment in 2023-24 alone, not over the course of their entire contract
    5) You can vote for a player even if you think he won't go to a new team, and even if you think there's a chance he retires, and even if he re-signs before technically becoming a UFA

Next to each player I put the estimate - albeit from February - of how much he stands to get paid according to Alex MacLean. Use that as your barometer, or don't - it's up to you. But as noted money does matter. And again, this is about fantasy performance only. Real world value is irrelevant.

Please post who you voted for any why, as that helps provide added value and insight to the voting.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE: UFAs Who'll Disappoint

I voted for:

Andersen - After his injuries and lackluster play, I think what we're seeing in the playoffs is a push to get paid
    Bunting - Yes, he did do okay in Arizona, but I fear people think he's as good as he's shown, and I don't think he is
    Domi - I have zero trust in him given what we saw in his two prior seasons
    Talbot - Someone will sign him, but I'd be shocked if he even logged 25 games, whether due to injuries, poor play, or both
    Zucker - Suddenly he's healthy and somewhat productive again, just when he happens to be playing for a new deal.....
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

First, I believe Bergeron will retire.
    Second, Patrick Kane. He needed Chicago’s structure where it’s all about him. Mixed into a quality top-six, and he has to SHARE? Gag me!!
    Third, Tarasenko. Too many shoulder surgeries to have believe it lasts without another injury. Sorry, Vlad.
    Fourth, Bunting. Can he be anything except a linemate? Ok, ok, so I see Chicago as his prime landing spot, so I’ll give him a solid maybe.
    Last, Killorn. If anyone was the beneficiary of teammates, it’s Killorn. I project 35 points when he’s not in Tampa Bay.

Potential BEST free agent?? Barry Trotz, fresh again and I think the fire will be back.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Immortal

Bertuzzi
    Jsrry
    Kane
    ROR

What an ugly class.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Kane
    Tarasenko
    Bunting
    Andersen
    Jarry

Mostly based on that these likely will be drafted above what I believe their fantasy performance will be due to age, injuries and drafting based on old achievements, and goalies.. Players like Klingberg already comes with some hesitation when drafting. I wonder if not Orlov will be expected to perform and will be picked fairly high.

Dobber Sports Sage

If Kane returns to health, he'll be one of the biggest free agent bargains.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I went with:
    Bertuzzi
    Domi
    Klingberg
    Tank
    Zucker

Bert & Domi are both at that age where they are "primes" - so they'll get maximum contracts.
    Both, to me, provide that rarer grit/hands that is disappearing as the game gets more skill-centric.
    Both, to me, are overvalued for that. I don't see either as being talented enough for "PP1" and neither, to me, is a solid two-way forward.
    If I'm a GM - I'm not interested at $6.5m/$5.5m respectfully... but I do think somebody is going to hand it out.
    They'll both be minus players unless they join a high-end playoff team.
    Chicago - discussed in other threads - some of us think is prime landing spot for him to line with Bedard. CHI can afford to over pay - they have the money and the cap space. That doesn't mean Bert is worth it, though.

Klingberg is just too visibly declining as an NHL two-way defenseman... and his offensive game actually seems to be "aging out" by every class of smooth skating, slick-passing kids (the Hutsons of the world).
    I think he'll have another difficutl off-season getting a contract. I'll be surprised if an NHL GM gives him $4m and/or more than 2 years. I think the word is out on him as a liability.

Tank looks like he's out of gas. I think his game is just too foot-slow for NHL and there's enough guys incoming that can PP1 laser a similar shot.
    He'll get a contract - but I think it'll be more like 3yr * $5m... and he's only as good as his "fit" on a strong back-checking forward line or a team weak at PP1 (say, PHI).

Zucker is toast.
    I actually almost made a post on how Zucker/Malkin were the two guys that ruined a LOT of fans seasons.
    PIT losing to CHI in the 2nd last game of the year allowed FLA into the playoffs and landed CHI in the spot (3rd last) that won the Bedard lottery.
    So... I now hate both those guys.
    (Watch the highlights of that PIT-CHI game and you'll see some slow-foot, soft-checkers on that line, with Rakell? against CHI.)

Almost every team is youthening with GMs and has invested in analytics.
    I just don't see Zucker as an analytics darling... which means... the only GM that will give him a decent contract - will MISS - and Zucker will seem like a waste.

GUYS I THINK WILL BE STEALS/DEALS - so I'm surprised some of you are listing as "Disappoint".

IMO - Patrick Kane's hockey sense is enough that he'll sign in the right place for him.
    He's not a bust and he's got a LOT left in the tank. I think it's crazy anybody including him.
    He's going to be a "massive value", IMO - since he'll have to sign an "old player's" contract.
    I think he'll put up 90pts in the NHL if he can stay healthy and play 80gp.

Michael Bunting is a really good player, IMO.
    I think he'll actually have to take a discount because of his costly perception with referees.
    But on the ice, he's a solid value and a solid player and some new team will add him... and he'll help.
    I'm a fan of his on-ice game.
    I hate him for his whining/complaining... and I do think that makes him a distraction.
    But... if a team is chasing/near playoffs - say Buffalo, Detroit, Vancouver - I think he's a good "buy" and will help regular season points.
    Then you just have to pray he's not costly in the playoffs again.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Based on their projected value in fantasy league that use salary caps, nearly all of them will disappoint. The only caveats will be those that sign team friendly deals to be on the team they want or to put themselves in a good situation after signing a short term deal (1 or 2 years).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

All you have to do win at this game is try to imagine which players Lamoriello would sign. He loves the has-beens and could-be's.

Bertuzzi
    Killorn
    Zucker
    Toews
    Van Riemesdyk

I don't really think Bertuzzi is a Lou guy, he's the only one I think will disappoint no matter where he goes. I think I actually picked Talbot there... it would be great if you could see what your picks were after the poll results are revealed.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Titan

You can, they show up italicized.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You can, they show up italicized.
    Ok, sort of. That's pretty hard to see but I guess it's something.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson