Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cooley decides to return to University of Minnesota

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Cooley decides to return to University of Minnesota

He can also sign an NHL contract, play eight games before getting sent to the minors (and therefore have to wait another year to eventually become a UFA), play on the fourth line for two years after that, thereby reducing how much money he can get in his next contract.

Or he can wait a few more years and be a UFA, sign where he wants and potentially make more money longer term.

NHL teams mess with players, their contracts and and development all the time. I have no issues with a player doing the same thing to a team.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    So you’re telling me he’s not playing in Arizona is worth $3-5 million dollars? Either way the kid is an idiot. I can’t believe someone would be stupid enough to pass on signing an ELC because the organization has issues. In game 1 this season in Minnesota if he blows out a knee or trashes a shoulder then what? Whatever his reason his family must be wealthy or really stupid to advise him to do this. It sure as hell shouldn’t be what’s happening with the team. Give me a ****ing break. There must be something compelling pushing him to return to college. If it really is that he was drafted by Arizona that’s beyond stupid. Take the $$ and do your time. It’s a GD NHL contract.
    This is stupefying- I hope you got your infraction for language lmao!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Does this impact Cooley's earning potential? Sure, it's one year further from his second contract and one year further from true UFA status. But the career ending injury risk thing is completely overblown. Legitimately when was the last time a player suffered a career ending injury? Voracek with his 12th concussion? AFAIK Cooley has had zero. Pronger with his eye? They wear a full cage. Fact is career ending injuries are exceedingly rare in hockey. It is definitely a risk, but it's an incredibly incredibly small one.

Dobber Sports Icon

i don't see an issue with this move. he's looking out for himself past the NHL. finish your degree or get closer whatever, dominate the College scene and then sign your contract.

he wants to win, not be an also ran in Arz.

maybe hes debating signing at all, ever with the Arz Yotes..possibly. but why rag on the kid for not signing a (lucrative yes) contract with a tire fire squad?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    i don't see an issue with this move. he's looking out for himself past the NHL. finish your degree or get closer whatever, dominate the College scene and then sign your contract.

he wants to win, not be an also ran in Arz.

maybe hes debating signing at all, ever with the Arz Yotes..possibly. but why rag on the kid for not signing a (lucrative yes) contract with a tire fire squad?
    I'm not complaining about him not wanting to sign with Arizona. That's his decision. I just have an issue with him not telling them thats his plan with enough time for them to try andctrade his rights to recoup the loss. I can't even say he's doing that today. I'm just saying, if he does do that, it's a crappy move on his part.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm not complaining about him not wanting to sign with Arizona. That's his decision. I just have an issue with him not telling them thats his plan with enough time for them to try andctrade his rights to recoup the loss. I can't even say he's doing that today. I'm just saying, if he does do that, it's a crappy move on his part.
    As long as both sides have been honest and open about their intents I'm with you. If Arizona has lied about stuff, I wouldn't be saying much on how I think.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

ya i get that, but it wasn't all that long ago when teh TEAMS had all teh upper hand and played the players as pawns..in fact i am raedung Dave Scatchards book right now whereby he talks about his contact with Preds in that as part of his 2way deal, if the Preds held him up in the NHL for more than 30 days they would need to pay his rent / mortgage. so what do you think happened at day 29..he was sent back down, no warnings.

i dont think hes being malicious with this, although i cannot say for sure obviously. teh deal fell through, maybe he's like "F this..im staying here until they get their shit figured out." maybe he was on the fence and that was the last straw?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I know that the people thinking about the lack of one year of earnings up front are thinking only about dollars. There is some point where things come down to quality of life and what you want to do, or just willful stubbornness. Also depending on the way things break out, there's always a chance you that he does well in college, signs, and then the first year of that contract gets burned late in the year. Not likely to happen in the next couple years, but possible.

I'm not complaining about him not wanting to sign with Arizona. That's his decision. I just have an issue with him not telling them that's his plan with enough time for them to try andctrade his rights to recoup the loss. I can't even say he's doing that today. I'm just saying, if he does do that, it's a crappy move on his part.
    That's assuming this is part of a grand plan. We all know people who can't decide on things quickly, or change their minds. Especially as college aged people with all the time in the world.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think what people are missing is that Cooley isn't a 19-year old kid making this decision on his own.
    He's got an agent & other people looking out for his best interests.

The end goal for him is to have a career in hockey that works for him.
    Right now - Arizona... does any player want to commit through age 27 to that organization knowing what we know?
    (There's no guarantee they decide to burn his ELC years, they might Eklund him into the AHL for two years...)

As Zona is (probably) strapped for cash without gate sales... they are low on money.
    That means they are low on what they can or will offer him.

His options:
    *Arizona (or who knows) - possibly through age 27 - negotiating his RFA contracts probably to minimal amounts, sourcing their lack of income.
    *Somewhere else in 3 years.

I think Cooley is headed straight down Adam Fox Lane.
    And that's a damn attractive route, IMO.

[and... Adam Fox went to Harvard... so it's not like he was a questionable decision maker![

WRONG!
    WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG!
    (you suck Pengwin)