Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Solar Panels for your House

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Solar Panels for your House

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The main goal is two things. One is to help leave the world a better place for my children. The second is to save money. Based on my research, it sounds like installing solar panels should help me do both over the next few decades. Now the hard part is going to be finding and choosing the right company to work with to get everything set up.

I am also not sure if now or a year from now is a better time to get this project started. They recently announced a new solar panel that is apparently 50% more efficient (32% vs 21%). Governments are getting behind solar panels which will increase demand but will likely also increase costs. I also read what is happening in California where they are producing so much solar energy now that the energy companies are saying that energy is worthless during the day so anyone on a metered connection is getting shafted. I also fear that energy companies/governments are going to limit the amount of energy a single producer can supply (ie right now it's 110% of consumption in Alberta but that number is likely to shrink in the next few years). If I am going to produce my own energy it doesn't make much sense in my mind to produce less energy than I use.

Lots of different things to think about before making a $25,000 to $40,000 decision.
    Best of luck with this...i personally would not do it based on what know of industry but if everything goes near perfect you should be satisfied.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The main goal is two things. One is to help leave the world a better place for my children. The second is to save money. Based on my research, it sounds like installing solar panels should help me do both over the next few decades. Now the hard part is going to be finding and choosing the right company to work with to get everything set up.

I am also not sure if now or a year from now is a better time to get this project started. They recently announced a new solar panel that is apparently 50% more efficient (32% vs 21%). Governments are getting behind solar panels which will increase demand but will likely also increase costs. I also read what is happening in California where they are producing so much solar energy now that the energy companies are saying that energy is worthless during the day so anyone on a metered connection is getting shafted. I also fear that energy companies/governments are going to limit the amount of energy a single producer can supply (ie right now it's 110% of consumption in Alberta but that number is likely to shrink in the next few years). If I am going to produce my own energy it doesn't make much sense in my mind to produce less energy than I use.

Lots of different things to think about before making a $25,000 to $40,000 decision.
    I would, at minimum, wait 6 more days before deciding anything.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I would, at minimum, wait 6 more days before deciding anything.
    6 more days AND vote the 'left' way?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dobber Sports Icon

Just received a proposal from a second company today. 25 Longi panels, Hoymiles micro inverter, Pion Power racking system (includes critter guard), Hoymiles monitoring system, a 10kW system that should generate about 9793 kWh/Year. Cost is $24,800 plus a $680 permit.

This proposal does not include the $5000 federal rebate so the total cost would be just over $20,000. The federal government is currently offering both a $5000 grant and a 10 year interest free loan for these types of projects. This company also offers 0% financing, for up to 16 years.

Dobber Sports Pro

Kinda last minute but these are worth checking out:

https://ecosolar.ca/edmonton.html?ut...eid=106842d031