Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Conspiracy Theory

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Conspiracy Theory

I thought propaganda was just an Englishman taking a good look at something.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I thought propaganda was just an Englishman taking a good look at something.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Propaganda and spreading falsehoods is completely different from a carefully orchestrated defined outcome of an event. Propaganda and Conspiracies are entirely different concepts.
    Correct. However, both utilize the underlying principle that the bigger the lie, the easier it is to fool people. Propaganda is oft used to downplay conspiracies.
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There is no conspiracy.

Just
    - More pressure to win
    - More journalists/podcasts/whatever to scrutinize everything.
    - More urgency to win, which sometimes leads to decisions to shortcut to short-term victory instead of building legacies.
    - More teams with some rich history, which leads them sometimes to rely too much on 'the old boys club' of former players even if they aren't the best available president/GM/coach

Etc.

Bettman doesn't need to manipulate anything. We put this on ourselves, alone. By talking hockey nonsense 12/12, 7/7, 24/24 on radio, TV and online.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm a big Bettman supporter - I think the "game" is better with every passing year.

As for the lack of Canadian teams winning...
    I think the major players on Canadian teams deal with a level of "pressure" that is unlike those players in other markets.
    Pressure can absolutely cause a player to make mistakes - especially in a quick-trigger sport like hockey - that other players aren't carrying.
    With every passing year, the superstars on Canadian teams have increased pressure to return the cup to Canada.

Almost every major task I've done in life... I can look back and say "I think I c/would've done this better if others' expectations of me were a bit lower."
    Pressure is a bitch.
    I’m a day late to this comment, but wow. I was expected to be perfect - or damn close - for 40+ years of surgical practice, was observed and compared to my colleagues by judgmental staff, and potentially sued for any blip in performance. It’s just crap for any excuse in sports. Goalies are expected to be 91-92%, offensive players score on 12-20% of shots. Are those numbers worse in Canada? “Pressure” to give your best on every shift should be replaced by “commitment” and “confidence” to do so. Anything else is just an excuse.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^The difference here, though, is that you (I assume) got to do your work behind a "closed door".
    You knew the quality of your work, yes.
    Your peers and any other reviewers knew the quality of your work, yes.
    But the general public... does not.

That - by NO means - make it less important.
    ^The difference here, though, is that you (I assume) got to do your work behind a "closed door".
    You knew the quality of your work, yes.
    Your peers and any other reviewers knew the quality of your work, yes.
    But the general public... does not.

That - by NO means - make it less important.

For clarity - athletics is NOT important.
    But - the public DOES care about it.
    And the public does know about it.
    Every second of every moment of play is available and scrutinized by millions.
    Millions of public eyes.
    And they have a set time limit to get it done.
    (I may be wrong... but I'm guessing nobody sets a timer during a critical surgery and says "OK, Brad... go... you have 60 minutes to get this done. You will be competing against Dr.Beth who is working beside you on Jim Doe.")

If there was the "professional surgeons" network and everything was publicized and past surgeons were saying "Oh - that's a small mis-step there... that could lead to XYZ down the road... Dr.Beth is doing a much better job on Table2"
    And then you were interviewed afterwards about it... and people were posting screen shots and debating whether you were worth what you were paid and that Dr.Beth was the better professional and more suited for this work.... and all the people at your hospital was like "Shit... maybe we shit trade for Dr.Beth"... and that's all.you.heard.about.over.the.summer.

There's a difference here, with pro sports.

[ps. I love ya man! Welcome to the WHL! I still forum-argue with all of my favourite people!!!]

[pps. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a person only criticizes somebody else's comment - but doesn't offer their own answer. Difficult question here is this, so: Why haven't Canadian teams been winning a Stanley Cup? I think it's a great topic - and I'm completely lost for another viable reason and I've yet to see somebody post one.]

[Statistical Note: Canada has held an average of 22% of the NHL teams over past 30 years. This makes the natural odds of a Canadian team not winning a Stanley Cup for 30 straight years as (1-0.22)^30 = 0.06%. A statistician would say that this suggests something beyond mathematical coincidence/probability as the reasoning.]

Dobber Sports Stud

I love the math at the ending. Yeah, I met a Flyers’ fan at a bar - told him I was at their two SC parades. He was grumpy. Hadn’t been born yet.

For a thought, team management for Canadian teams won’t play the long game - the scrutiny of the fans isn’t on the athletes as much as the front offices, and the quick fixes, or the over-importance of the stars instead of true team-building.

Maybe Toronto did good things at the trade deadline, but why not the same moves in early February, giving on-ice relationships time to develop?

And I look forward to respectful disagreements like this one. LOL

Dobber Sports Sage

chart.png

Sure Canadian fans are demanding, but so are (and even more so) numerous other teams (in other sports) that are winning. So I think that has more affect on management and them giving in to it.

I think it's a mix of Canadian teams management reluctance, in the past, to bottom out and adapt new/better playstyles, economics, and ability to attract players to the city.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24