Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy Theory

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Conspiracy Theory

Gary Bettman is the NHL's biggest supporter of expansion into the Southern US.

The northern most team remaining in the final four is Las Vegas. Coincidence or the desired outcome? Discuss.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Conspiracy Theory

Coincidence
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd also say coincidence but it's funny that a Canadian team hasn't won a Stanley Cup in 30 years, the same number of years that Bettman has been Commish. Also a coincidence, or is it?? LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Canadian players wants to play where there is no snow, and a lot of sun. I think there is 16 Canadians players in LV
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm a big Bettman supporter - I think the "game" is better with every passing year.

As for the lack of Canadian teams winning...
    I think the major players on Canadian teams deal with a level of "pressure" that is unlike those players in other markets.
    Pressure can absolutely cause a player to make mistakes - especially in a quick-trigger sport like hockey - that other players aren't carrying.
    With every passing year, the superstars on Canadian teams have increased pressure to return the cup to Canada.

Almost every major task I've done in life... I can look back and say "I think I c/would've done this better if others' expectations of me were a bit lower."
    Pressure is a bitch.

Dobber Sports Titan

I hate the conspiracy theory, but it's hard to ignore it when the evidence is piling up year after year.

A quick independent probability calculation would be

30years, from 1993-1997 You had 26 teams. 1998-99 you had 27 teams, 1999-20 you had 28 teams, 2000-17 you had 30 teams, 2017-2021 you had 31 teams, 2021-23 you have 32 teams.

Very roughly you've averaged 29.4 teams over that 30 yrs, and 6.4 Canadian teams during that time too.

((29.4-6.4/29.4)^30) x 100 = 0.0633% a Canadian team not winning the Championship once over 30yrs.

Actually it changes because of the lockout. But whatever. That's a low probability. That's like 1 in 1,500.

But I'm also no genius so I could have that wrong.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

I distinctly remember them mentioning at the start of the broadcast last night that all of the remaining teams were from "non-traditional markets". Couldn't help but think to myself "was that intentional?". I don't know whether it is or not and I don't know how you'd find out so I really don't spend much time thinking about it but the thought does cross my mind every now and again. Can they manipulate the outcomes in a subtle way that goes largely unnoticed in order to achieve results that are beneficial for marketing goals? Maybe, but I doubt they could do it consistently enough and it still be inconspicuous so I can't really see how it would have any significant effect. Which would render it pretty useless. I mean there are alot of potential marketing outcomes that could have made alot of money from this year that are now in the trash can, so seems unlikely at best.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya the Vegas/Oilers series, if you're to rig that one you are calling the penalties in that series more like the Florida/Leafs one. The way the Vegas one was called you'd say that was rigged towards the Oilers. And they would have won if they were closer in 5on5, and Skinner played better.

So there's the hard data that leans towards rigging, then you dig deeper into the way some series were called and you'd say it wasn't rigged.

Carolina is in because they are a dawg
    Florida is in after beating the Bruins with no help from the refs
    Dallas is in because they are built well
    Vegas is in because they are solid 5on5.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Coincidence.

Mainly due to this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Carolina is in because they are a dawg
    Florida is in after beating the Bruins with no help from the refs
    Dallas is in because they are built well
    Vegas is in because they are solid 5on5.
    It just hasn't worked out. We've had some great Canadian teams, but there's also been a lot of them who just don't have that final piece, goalie or that level of grit.

Ottawa 07 and Vancouver '11 were great teams, but got "out-playoffed" by better teams.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I hate the conspiracy theory, but it's hard to ignore it when the evidence is piling up year after year.

A quick independent probability calculation would be

30years, from 1993-1997 You had 26 teams. 1998-99 you had 27 teams, 1999-20 you had 28 teams, 2000-17 you had 30 teams, 2017-2021 you had 31 teams, 2021-23 you have 32 teams.

Very roughly you've averaged 29.4 teams over that 30 yrs, and 6.4 Canadian teams during that time too.

((29.4-6.4/29.4)^30) x 100 = 0.0633% a Canadian team not winning the Championship once over 30yrs.

Actually it changes because of the lockout. But whatever. That's a low probability. That's like 1 in 1,500.

But I'm also no genius so I could have that wrong.
    But teams don't have an equal shot at winning the Cup. Some owners are more stingy in their spending. Some cities are a lot more attractive and so it's easy to bring in players. No state tax in some locations is a tiny consideration.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    But teams don't have an equal shot at winning the Cup. Some owners are more stingy in their spending. Some cities are a lot more attractive and so it's easy to bring in players. No state tax in some locations is a tiny consideration.
    Ya I know, but for like 10 of those yrs there wasn't a cap and that raised Toronto's and Montreal's chances (theoretically) over about a dozen USA teams. So it's supppper rough, but man, for 6.4 teams to not win out of 29.4 teams over 30yrs...that's an insane outcome when it comes to odds.

That would be like +100,000 likely in betting terms. Or +50,000 to a betting company just giving terrible odds to an insane outcome.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's simple. At the end of the day, sports are a business. Businesses are meant to make money. His job is to grow the business.
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Administrator

There's no hockey being played. It's all filmed in the same studio that faked the moon landing.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Looking at the cup winners from the last 30 years I don't really see any patterns that would suggest there's some designed effort to put any specific market in front of another. What you do see is alot of the same group of about 6 teams winning or appearing in the final pretty frequently. But those teams are almost all in big markets with historically good franchises so there's not much to see there either. If anything, this year is an outlier rather than an indicator.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Star

I believe Florida, Texas and Nevada have no state income right? So they have a theoretical spending advantage of say 5% more than a the more heavily taxed teams which may be enough of a difference between winning and losing.

And Carolina has Rod coaching them. Thats what im going with haha
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.