Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FA to play with Brdard

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default FA to play with Brdard

Dobber touched on it in the ramblings this week- who do you think would be a good add out of this years FA crop to play with Bedard?

Ftr my pick is Bertuzz- hes shown hes got enough skill to compliment bettwr players and you can still skate him in a valubale aecond line or checking role if you need to shake things up. I think the things hes good at- fiechecking, digging out pucks from the corner, playing a bit greasy, and creating havoc in front of the net are all things that would compliment Bedard well. Hes not a knuckle chucker perse but hes physical and hed keep people honest about taking cheap shots and what not. I think there's a good chance bert scores 30 goals next year wherever he goes but if he plays with Bedard all bets are off lol!

Who else do you got? I think the advice about reichel is spot on. While most guys will need 3-5 years to really settle into a groove I could see reichel "popping" right away. That other linemate could see a similar spike on production. Who you think that is and why?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: FA to play with Brdard

Agree on Tyler Bertuzzi.
    He's young enough and gritty enough to be a great choice on a line with Bedard & Reichel.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw 7yr x $6m at him.

Whoever else they sign might be a veteran C/W split guy so that if Bedard is overwhelmed on the dot, they can pair them and let Bedard take non-critical face-offs for experience.
    There aren't many centers but Ryan O'Reilly could get 5yr x $5m.
    Jordan Staal stil has good gas and mentorship, could be 5yr x $4m.
    [*The CHI lockerroom is SOOO young though... at this point... I can't see guys with a ring wanting any part of too much youth. So I see ROR and J.Staal more likely signing for lesser offers with more vet-friendly lockerrooms... unless they NEED the extra cash... could be...]

If CHI looks to stay young enough to *pop* with Bedard in yr3/4/5, might be JT Compher getting 7yr x $6m-ish. (Compher will be the "overpay of the UFA season", IMO)
    That would be major risk... but I think Compher has shown enough to get it... from some GM.

Max Domi could also return.
    And the other option is Mr. Never-Misses-The-Playoffs Erik Haula.
    I could see them throwing 4yr x $4m at him.
    Haula is one of those guys that I think could really draw out great value in Bedard - the way Hartman/Zucc were perfect matches for Kaprizov.

I think they'll sign three guys.
    I don't think they'll go too old... so... Bertuzzi/Compher/Haula.

If CHI does sign Bert & Haula - look for those two to play with Bedard.
    (Reichel will be there long-term... but it's better to not have TWO rookies on same line... just too raw in current NHL... too many goals against.)

Administrator

Bunting

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Personally i doubt Chicago will go after anybody significant for at least one more years..i think they will let kids run out there and develop and if they play good then great for them, and if they dont then another high pick goes their way.

Some will argue that loosing promotes bad culture but i don't think one or 2 vets will make them win enough to change that but it maybe enough not to get good pick in 24.

My guess is that they wont sign anybody that fits top 6.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Personally i doubt Chicago will go after anybody significant for at least one more years..i think they will let kids run out there and develop and if they play good then great for them, and if they dont then another high pick goes their way.

Some will argue that loosing promotes bad culture but i don't think one or 2 vets will make them win enough to change that but it maybe enough not to get good pick in 24.

My guess is that they wont sign anybody that fits top 6.
    Agree with this. They can afford to wait and see for at least 1 more year. Time is on their side for sure. Collect those picks and roll the dice.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If Chicago intends to have Bedard on the pro club,
    they'll be signing somebody with a good amount of NHL-center experience.
    It's a very distinct thing in the NHL, mentorship.
    One of these guys is going to have a good amount of center-play and face-off experience.
    (I don't care what coaches they bring in... they need a solid vet to sit next to him to discuss two-way NHL-level play and draws... and best case, a linemate.)
    (This said, they - technically - do have Tyler Johnson under contract for one more year... but, FFS, spend the cash and bring in somebody better.)

Past clubs have ensured they had good face-off/two-way centers on board for their key rookies.
    re: McDavid / Eichel / Crosby / Matthews

In 2015, the Oilers signed Mark Letestu on July 2nd... the day before inking McDavid.
    While not an enormous signing, Letestu led the Oilers in face-offs that year:
    https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?re...=0&pageSize=50
    https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/oilers

Also in 2015, the Sabres traded for Ryan O'Reilly on June 26th... the same day as the draft they took Eichel at #2.
    The extended ROR on July 3rd, two days after formally signing Jack Eichel:
    https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/sabres

In 2005, the Penguins were fortunate enough to have Mario Lemieux on roster and be around the big club, so not an issue.

In 2016, the Leafs were set having extended Kadri on April 13. They wont he lottery on April 30th and signed Matthews for his rookie year in July.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    they'll be signing somebody with a minimum of 7 years NHL experience... probably 2-3 guys.
    One of these guys is going to have a good amount of center-play and face-off experience.
    (I don't care what coaches they bring in... they need a solid vet to sit next to him to discuss two-way NHL-level play and draws... and best case, a linemate.)
    (This said, they - technically - do have Tyler Johnson under contract for one more year... but, FFS, spend the cash and bring in somebody better.)

Past clubs have ensured they had good face-off/two-way centers on board for their key rookies.

In 2015, the Oilers signed Mark Letestu on July 2nd... the day before inking McDavid.

Also in 2015, the Sabres traded for Ryan O'Reilly on June 26th... the same day as the draft they took Eichel at #2.

In 2005, the Penguins were fortunate enough to have Mario Lemieux on roster and be around the big club, so not an issue.

In 2016, the Leafs were set having extended Kadri on April 13. They wont he lottery on April 30th and signed Matthews for his rookie year in July.

While I agree with all your points here, your argument hinges on Davidson being a good general manager. Which if this absolute tear down is indicative of anything, he is not.

Sure he lucked into Bedard this year, but I don’t think he should get credit for the ping pong ball falling where it did. He traded away players that he should be building around, not moving for pennies on the dollar.

Now, if he goes out and does what you are suggesting, then we can start giving him credit. Although I think he likely ends up closer to what Belexus is suggesting he will do this year.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    While I agree with all your points here, your argument hinges on Davidson being a good general manager. Which if this absolute tear down is indicative of anything, he is not.

Sure he lucked into Bedard this year, but I don’t think he should get credit for the ping pong ball falling where it did. He traded away players that he should be building around, not moving for pennies on the dollar.

Now, if he goes out and does what you are suggesting, then we can start giving him credit. Although I think he likely ends up closer to what Belexus is suggesting he will do this year.

Hard disagree.

I can't stand CHI for their recent past...
    but Davidson... he did exactly what he needed to - which is to tank the team to put them in best possible situation to have shot at Bedard - and if not, at least a top4 pick spot.

He could've held DeBrincat - who would be at his big (arb) RFA this year anyways. I think DeBrincat is probably good for 5-6 NHL standings points as a player. (The return... the #7 pick... has great future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    He could've held Kirby Dach - but that's probably 2-3 NHL standings points. (The return... the #13 pick... has good future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    He could've held Patrick Kane and taken zero return - but Kane in March/April is probably worth 1-2 NHL standings points. (The return... 2nd round pick... has some future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    Add all those up, Chicago finishes probably around 71-72pts... above ARI & MON... and is drafting at #5 or #6.
    THAT... would've been epic fail for this team.
    So... Davidson has made three trades as well... that did NOT help the team this past year (which was the GOAL) and will help the team in the future.

Lucky on Bedard - of course... but Davidson, more than ANY other GM in the NHL, stripped his team down enough to put them in position.
    And he didn't just punt players of roster - he got future value (via draft picks that didn't play on team in 2022/23)

Nobody knows yet what Davidson is capable of as far as building.
    Thus far, he has had exactly ONE (very obvious) goal - finish the team as close to last as possible to get them a top4 pick... and hopefully Bedard.

Davidson is 1/1 in his thus-far GM-task list... and I really don't think that's debatable.

Administrator

Chicago will be a good landing spot for a few free agents. It's one thing to get the contract. It's another thing to land in a spot that will keep you relevant when your new deal expires. Chicago = opportunity.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

they'll be signing somebody with a good amount of NHL-center experience.

Agree with this bigtime. In fact I sort of expect one or two players who are fantasy afterthoughts will have success in this role this year as well.

In general I dont think they'll be adding a whole bunch "for the win" but they'll be adding for mentorship and to set up Bedard for individual success along the way. Beruzzi was a good e ample in that regard cause he's not even the right fit on Bedard line if they were competing (and of course they're not). In the 8nterim though he can score enough to prop up his totals a bit, protect him at times and show him how important it is to bring his lunch pail to every game and work your ass off for the full shift. He could be a compliment to a player like this on a winning team in maybe a more limited role or on the pp- but his going there now has less to do with winning and more to do with learning how to play properly and not saddling him with pylons right out of the gate.

I also think if they have a chance to add a quality long term piece they'll at least explore it now. Yes there will be a couple years of pain but the hard choke portion should be over. I fully 3xpect they'll still be a lottery team but they won't be trading assets who can help or avoiding FAs that will benefit them imho.

Bert is sort of used to losing and at 28 if he can convince them to sign a 5-6 year deal hes still around for the fireworks as well! I dont love the computer gamble for them.but the thinking is spot on. Great post!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hard disagree.

but Davidson... he did exactly what he needed to - which is to tank the team to put them in best possible situation to have shot at Bedard - and if not, at least a top4 pick spot.

He could've held DeBrincat - who would be at his big (arb) RFA this year anyways. I think DeBrincat is probably good for 5-6 NHL standings points as a player. (The return... the #7 pick... has great future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    He could've held Kirby Dach - but that's probably 2-3 NHL standings points. (The return... the #13 pick... has good future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    He could've held Patrick Kane and taken zero return - but Kane in March/April is probably worth 1-2 NHL standings points. (The return... 2nd round pick... has some future asset-value, but none the past year.)
    Add all those up, Chicago finishes probably around 71-72pts... above ARI & MON... and is drafting at #5 or #6.
    So... Davidson has made three trades as well... that did NOT help the team this past year (which was the GOAL) and will help the team in the future.

Lucky on Bedard - of course... but Davidson, more than ANY other GM in the NHL, stripped his team down enough to put them in position.
    And he didn't just punt players of roster - he got future value (via draft picks that didn't play on team in 2022/23)

Thus far, he has had exactly ONE (very obvious) goal - finish the team as close to last as possible to get them a top4 pick... and hopefully Bedard.

Davidson is 1/1 in his thus-far GM-task list... and I really don't think that's debatable.
    Ugh I was not a fan of those moves but you can't argue that they worked today. If moves like that persist its lunacy but for.now they are sort brilliant although I hate even typing that...

Dobber Sports Icon

Hard disagree.

His moves only look brilliant because it actually worked and landed Bedard. They had an 11.5% chance of getting that 1st overall and got lucky to do it. Which is fine, I can understand why people view it that way.

But let’s imagine that Anaheim or Columbus were drafting first overall this year because the ping pong balls didn’t work out for Chicago. Are people praising Davidson’s strip down then? Wouldn’t Fantilli look better playing with Dach and Debrincat? Wouldn’t Chicago’s immediate future look a little brighter?

Trading Kane was the right move 100%, but trading young guys who you should be building around on the chance that you get lucky with the ping pong balls was super risky but the immediate pay off worked out with some luck.

All that being said though, I think we are going to see an Edmonton Oilers type stretch of wasting a huge chunk of a superstars career going forward. Feel free to save this post P7 and you can rub it in my face if I’m wrong. But the way Davidson is starting this rebuild doesn’t bode well for Chicago or Bedard imo
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Administrator

Buffalo still hasn't recovered from the failed tank for McDavid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Buffalo still hasn't recovered from the failed tank for McDavid
    Yeah but they have Jack Eic….er…well this is awkward.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Yeah but they have Jack Eic….er…well this is awkward.
    Their only remainig player is Girgensons... YAY!!!