Thread: Arvid Söderblom - Long term value?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Arvid Söderblom - Long term value?

Hey All,

As we all know by now where Bedard is going; it now begs the question, what does this mean for Arvid Söderblom?

Stalock is likely gone which leaves CHI's tandem for next season being Mrazek and Soderblom, which Arvid being the longer term answer?

Chicago isn't going to be a cup contender right away, I know that... but longer term this has to mean something right?
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Arvid Söderblom - Long term value?

With goalies, who knows what can happen. But Chicago's most likely long-term answer is Drew Commesso, whom Chicago just signed to his ELC after 3 years in the NCAA. Soderblom's AHL season last year wasn't great, but that might be due to the team around him. Bedard's addition likely means more team wins, but other than wins, that might not equate to a goalie whom you'd want to use if you count GAA and SV%. Bedard seems unlikely to provide any defensive boost that a goalie would realize.

Administrator

I'm not that high on Soderblom or Stauber, but there's an opportunity for one of them to emerge as one of their long-term goalies. I'm thinking the current goalie group will get shelled and the real long-term goalies will be found at a future date.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

With goalies you never know, but the likelihood that Soderblom has any relevant fantasy hockey value is a very long shot IMO. Bedard has nothing to do with the Hawks goaltending, other than the fact that if they can successfully build around him I would be absolutely amazed if the Goaltending personnel in the Windy City doesn't look a whole lot different than it does now. IMO Soderblom and Stauber are place holders at best. Then again, maybe he wins 3 Vezina's in a row. Or not.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

The Great One

What has McDavid done for goalie value in Edmonton? The goalies his rookie year were Talbot, Nilsson, and Broissoit. Talbot was decent for about half a season. They were all gone within 4 years.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    What has McDavid done for goalie value in Edmonton? The goalies his rookie year were Talbot, Nilsson, and Broissoit. Talbot was decent for about half a season. They were all gone within 4 years.
    Thats one example though- and Edmonton tons a shit show. I could see soderbloms value exploding. In their last dynasty they made a very mediocre Crawford a must own accross all formats. I don't own him- I'm not i a hurry to add him- but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility myself. Would take several years for any meaningful results though...

The Great One

Wait - so he’s the next Crawford? But you’re not in a hurry to own him. But you wouldn’t dismiss the possibility? But maybe it’ll be several years for him to become Crawford or not Crawford.
    Or something. Thanks for the info! Quite a post.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

When it comes to goalies, it's a "who knows" scenario. Could Solderblom be the future? Sure, it's not out of the question. I am not banking next months mortgage payment on it, but it's not completely out of the question. I am not sure Bedard going there has much affect on this one way or the other.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When it comes to goalies, it's a "who knows" scenario. Could Solderblom be the future? Sure, it's not out of the question. I am not banking next months mortgage payment on it, but it's not completely out of the question. I am not sure Bedard going there has much affect on this one way or the other.
    Agreed there- goalies are voodoo- im not paying a kings ransom for him at this point but im moving him higher up on my watch list...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PoolPartyPuljeejarvi View Post
    Agreed there- goalies are voodoo- im not paying a kings ransom for him at this point but im moving him higher up on my watch list...
    Chicago will be bad for at least another 2-3 seasons. I do think he will be the starter next year. I do think his numbers will be pedestrian at best given the team he’s on. One thing is certain is that a generational talent can’t win games on his own (see McDavid/Edmonton circa 2020). I personally will be watching Soderblom also to see how he fares as I really didn’t consider him much this year but heard he performed fairly well. I think he’s already owned in the league I’m in but could be a drop or a cheap trade given his situation. I think he has starter upside but given his situation he’s a risky own at best. I wouldn’t be selling the farm for certain. And when Chicago is relevant again Commesso will be ready to challenge if not outright take the crease from Soderblom. None of us know, and in a smallish sample size Soderblom did pretty good in the bigs. I’d keep an eye on him, however I think it’s more of a lotto ticket than at this point.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Chicago will be bad for at least another 2-3 seasons. I do think he will be the starter next year. I do think his numbers will be pedestrian at best given the team he’s on. One thing is certain is that a generational talent can’t win games on his own (see McDavid/Edmonton circa 2020). I personally will be watching Soderblom also to see how he fares as I really didn’t consider him much this year but heard he performed fairly well. I think he’s already owned in the league I’m in but could be a drop or a cheap trade given his situation. I think he has starter upside but given his situation he’s a risky own at best. I wouldn’t be selling the farm for certain. And when Chicago is relevant again Commesso will be ready to challenge if not outright take the crease from Soderblom. None of us know, and in a smallish sample size Soderblom did pretty good in the bigs. I’d keep an eye on him, however I think it’s more of a lotto ticket than at this point.
    Thats a good way to think about it- hes a decent lottery ticket in a draw with a stupendously high jackpot. If he hits you're brilliant if he misses you're too much of a risk taker lol! Spend accordingly....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PoolPartyPuljeejarvi View Post
    Thats a good way to think about it- hes a decent lottery ticket in a draw with a stupendously high jackpot. If he hits you're brilliant if he misses you're too much of a risk taker lol! Spend accordingly....
    Personally I don’t think the jackpot is all that high. I think ceiling is an average NHL starter (still not a bad grab for sure) I think more than likely a 1A/1B situation time share. Now in a league where goalies are scarce that’s a spicy meatball as the Spanish would say. But he won’t be Vasilevskiy for sure. But I’m definitely intrigued.

Dobber Sports Ace

Goalies are near impossible to predict. I would say one of Soderblom of Staubrr have a shot.