Thread: Big trade to move up to select Will Smith

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Big trade to move up to select Will Smith

16 team dynasty league I am currently rebuilding I finished 1 spot outside of playoffs and now I think I’ll start making some win now moves. Scoring category are G, A, PTS, Hits, FOW, SOG, BLKs, TOI, W, Sv%, GAA, Sv. Max of 2 goalies on active roster. Minor eligibility is 150 games

My team-

C- Aho, Eichel, Pettterson, Norris, , Gourde, Mittelstad

LW-, Landeskog, Mangiapane,
    Keller, Terivianen, Sheary

RW- Roy, Tanev, and Yamamoto

D- Dahlin, Makar, Shea Theodore , McAvoy, Ristolainen, Savard, Adam Larsson and Poink

G- Demko, Samsonov( IR )

Prospects- Connor Geekie, Riley Kidney, J Dumais, Mathew Savoie, Quinton Byfield, Cole Perfetti, Logan Cooley, T.Bourdeleau, B.Brisson, Jacob Perriault, Danila Yurov, Fydor Svechkov, Edvinsson, Hienola, Lambos, Mallioux, Niemela and Livingstone + spot start players ( 150 games max )

I have picks 1( Bedard ), 4, 8 and 12

Recently I stopped posting on here before the trades I make because I realized most people I play with regularly check here lol so I’m wondering how I did here.

I traded Cole Perfetti, Shea Theodore and 12th overall for Johnny Guadreau, Morgan Rielly and 5th overall

I think with my new addition of Bedard and a hopefully healthy Landeskog it’s time for me to start competing. I’m very high on Will Smith is see him being a star so I was originally trying to move up from 8 to select him but it turned into something a lot bigger anyways I’m curious on your guys input. Is anyone else as high on will smith as I am?
    14 team Keep all category based Dynasty league

scoring Category’s are G,A, PTS, SOG, BLKs, Hits, FOW, W, SVs, SV% and GAA

C-Draisatle, Eichel, Jenner, Gourde, Malkin, Crosby

LW- Guadreau , Marchand, Chandler Stephenson , Pacioretty

RW-Patrick Kane, Hathaway, Rienhart, Laine , Stone

D-Makar, Towes, Ristolainen, R.Andersson,Burns , Pietrangelo, McAvoy, Provonov

G- Andersen , Allen, Brobovsky

Minors

C-Hirovinen, Klimovich, Lafferty, J.McBain, J.Roy, Brad Lamburt, Rossi

LW-J. Doan, A.Nylander, R.Lomberg, Kuzmenko

RW- E.Bemstrom, C.Caufield, Jenik, Koivunen,

D- Sandin, Barron, K.Guhle, Timmons, Soderstrom, Niemela

G- Woll, Swayman, Logan Thompson

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Big trade to move up to select Will Smith

The post is phrased in terms of Will Smith, but for the actual trade made, he/the 5th OA pick is a minor part. It is hard to say whether the trade made justifies the pick exchange. Still, based on you saying that it is time to compete, sending Perfetti and Theodore for Gaudreau and Rielly is probably a good move. Gaudreau will be 30 for the start of the season and past his prime, but will undoubtedly be featured in CLB. Rielly's contract and surrounding teammates guarantee a high floor, even if he never hits 70 pts again. You've bought some solid, dependable floor with this move, if contending is your primary goal.

While Smith certainly looks good and probably merits selection at pick 5, at this point it is hard to say that the difference between him and, say, O. Moore, R. Leonard, G. Perrault, or A. Cristall is larger than the difference between the values of the two veterans you sent for the two veterans you received. Again, it depends largely on your team goals, whether you're rebuilding or arming for a title run. At least it isn't clear enough to me to say that you did the right or wrong thing in order to probably secure Smith.

The other thing is that I wonder if now is the best time to make this kind of deal. Smith's value has never been higher than right now coming off the U18s. We don't know how the draft lottery or draft will work out. If Bedard goes to Columbus, then it looks very good for you, with Gaudreau inevitably rising. If Chicago gets pick 5 and Will Smith goes there, then you're probably looking at delayed performance given the lack of just about anyone else with whom he can play. If Smith is mostly a Joe Thornton/Kuznetsov guy who will be better at setting guys up, he'll need a triggerman to turn his passes into assists. I might want to see who gets pick 5 or who drafts Smith to see if there's a current or emerging player who might fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    The post is phrased in terms of Will Smith, but for the actual trade made, he/the 5th OA pick is a minor part. It is hard to say whether the trade made justifies the pick exchange. Still, based on you saying that it is time to compete, sending Perfetti and Theodore for Gaudreau and Rielly is probably a good move. Gaudreau will be 30 for the start of the season and past his prime, but will undoubtedly be featured in CLB. Rielly's contract and surrounding teammates guarantee a high floor, even if he never hits 70 pts again. You've bought some solid, dependable floor with this move, if contending is your primary goal.

While Smith certainly looks good and probably merits selection at pick 5, at this point it is hard to say that the difference between him and, say, O. Moore, R. Leonard, G. Perrault, or A. Cristall is larger than the difference between the values of the two veterans you sent for the two veterans you received. Again, it depends largely on your team goals, whether you're rebuilding or arming for a title run. At least it isn't clear enough to me to say that you did the right or wrong thing in order to probably secure Smith.

The other thing is that I wonder if now is the best time to make this kind of deal. Smith's value has never been higher than right now coming off the U18s. We don't know how the draft lottery or draft will work out. If Bedard goes to Columbus, then it looks very good for you, with Gaudreau inevitably rising. If Chicago gets pick 5 and Will Smith goes there, then you're probably looking at delayed performance given the lack of just about anyone else with whom he can play. If Smith is mostly a Joe Thornton/Kuznetsov guy who will be better at setting guys up, he'll need a triggerman to turn his passes into assists. I might want to see who gets pick 5 or who drafts Smith to see if there's a current or emerging player who might fit that bill.
    Thanks for your input The lowest Chicago can pick is 4 I believe. I think San Jose, Montreal and Philly have the highest chances of drafting him. I’m hoping Montreal does. But anyway I personally see a decent gap between Smith and the rest of the group I see Jack Hughes as a comparison. Perrault would probably be who I’d be targeting at 12 and he may drop in the real draft due to his concerns of developing space and how easy he is to knock off the puck. Very interesting prospect but he is flawed and may top out at the high end AHL level due to Size, poor skating and unnecessary creativity. Then again he could be a star.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I have some more general advice for you.

1. If you need to post here to get advice on deals you can obfuscate by saying things like "similar to league in signature, but different league". You can give ranges of picks, for example, thinking about moving up to take 1 of 3 guys, and get target ranges.

2. If you find people whose advice you like you can send PM's.

In this specific situation, I'd strongly consider thinking about moving down at the draft table, but I love holding the 5th pick in a draft where the top 4 are kind of the top tier. If somebody drops, you either grab them, or make a move to trade down if you like multiple players equally. Picking first in a tier is very handy, because you have choice, and can feel free to move down.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

1. If you need to post here to get advice on deals you can obfuscate by saying things like "similar to league in signature, but different league". You can give ranges of picks, for example, thinking about moving up to take 1 of 3 guys, and get target ranges.

In this specific situation, I'd strongly consider thinking about moving down at the draft table, but I love holding the 5th pick in a draft where the top 4 are kind of the top tier. If somebody drops, you either grab them, or make a move to trade down if you like multiple players equally. Picking first in a tier is very handy, because you have choice, and can feel free to move down.
    Solid advice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I wasn’t sure there was a dm feature here

What I was thinking in my opinion I believe there is a huge gap between Smith and Benson ( who I have at 6 ) maybe even bigger then the gap between Smith and Carlson.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nylander2.0 View Post
    Thanks for the advice I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I wasn’t sure there was a dm feature here

What I was thinking in my opinion I believe there is a huge gap between Smith and Benson ( who I have at 6 ) maybe even bigger then the gap between Smith and Carlson.
    I do think you're right, I'm on record thinking (at least at this point) that Will Smith is the 5th best rookie option for most scoring systems. Someone picked below Smith will end up better than him, but for the life of me I don't have a good read on who that might be. Might be team and teammate dependent. I think that Chicago can end up with pick 5 in the lottery this year. Chicago is the 3rd worst team and there will be a drawing for picks 2 and 1 for which everyone in the lottery is eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I do think you're right, I'm on record thinking (at least at this point) that Will Smith is the 5th best rookie option for most scoring systems. Someone picked below Smith will end up better than him, but for the life of me I don't have a good read on who that might be. Might be team and teammate dependent. I think that Chicago can end up with pick 5 in the lottery this year. Chicago is the 3rd worst team and there will be a drawing for picks 2 and 1 for which everyone in the lottery is eligible.
    I thought they were only drawing 1 pick?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nylander2.0 View Post
    I thought they were only drawing 1 pick?
    https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/the-...ry/c-344153578

Drawings are for picks 1 and 2. The most any team can move down is 2 spots.