Thread: 32 team salary league team advice

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default 32 team salary league team advice

Hey everyone, I have played a lot of dynasty sports, but I am in one salary cap hockey league that is going into the second season and it is my only salary league across all sports, as well as my only 32 team league. I would love some general advice on what approach to take my team.
    I am going to attach a photo of my NHL roster with contract info as well. It looks a little confusing, but basically contracts and cap are based on real life. UFA extensions are not the same as real life contracts (just ignore those), but RFA extensions are just matching the real life RFA deals. Pretty obvious I have a ton of RFA contracts to match this offseason, but this should not be a big issue because I have $39.5 million available cap next season.
    As far as league settings go, it is a points league that awards points for goals, assists, shots, hits, blocks, and +/-. Penalties are negative points aside from fights. Goalies are awarded points for saves and wins and lose points for goals against. There is no points implications for a goalie loss.
    I know for sure that goalies are my biggest shortcoming, but they are very difficult to acquire in this league, which I would assume is true across most 32 team leagues, so I may just have to keep my fingers crossed for kahkonen and lankinen next year with some decent emerging prospects.As far as notable prospects go, I have quite a few. They are:
    C/LW Ridly Grieg
    RW Bobby Brink
    LW Brayden Tracy
    LW/RW Matt Coronato
    RW Jordan Dumais
    LW/RW Lukas Rousek
    LW/RW Danila Yurov
    D Lukas Cormier
    D Alex Nikishin
    D Domenick Fensore
    D Albert Johansson
    D Kevin Korchinski
    D Jack Rathbone
    D Jordan Spence
    D Ryan Ufko
    G Artur Akhtyamov (might be in KHL next year but had amazing VHL stats last year)
    G Arvid Holm
    There are a bunch more prospects, but they are either far from NHL debut or not that noteworthy.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 32 team salary league team advice

D: You're loaded here. Fox, Miller, Valimaki, Addison is great, and you have more guys behind them. You are light on peripherals there, but those guys are generally findable, although this is a very deep league. When veteran FA opens, I'd try and find a couple banger D.

F: Star power is weak, but it should be weak in a 32 team league, unless somebody drafted super well, or has made incredible trades. With Caufield & Byfield you have potential star power. I think Patrick is done from the concussions, but misses in the draft happen.

G: For a 32 team league this isn't good, but it could be worse. You have 2 guys who are reasonably established NHL goalies in Kahkonen & Lankinen, but neither seems like a starter at this point. Kahkonen could take that step, but the Sharks are terrible. Mandolese & Hellberg are lottery tickets who could turn out to be guys who get NHL games as backups. My strategy when in leagues this sort of issue is to find more lottery tickets. One guy I grabbed last year in a super deep 20 team cap league was Matt Murray - Stars. He's likely gone now, since he got in NHL games this year, but you want to examine the depth charts and find AHL goalies who aren't old with decent stats who aren't rostered. It's a longshot strategy, but you can find useful player here & there, and they will be both cheap and at a position of scarcity.

In general, you don't have anyone overpriced, and that's good. You have a lot of cap room, and that's something to leverage once you have things figured out. If there are teams that are rebuilding and have a non-defenseman on the block that is fairly priced in cap cost & trade, I'd look to move some of your D prospects.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.