Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fred Andersen career path?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Fred Andersen career path?

What’s next for Andersen? Re-sign in Carolina? Or go somewhere else, and then be a…starter?…1b split squad guy?…Other than his injury last year he was on pace for 50+ games again, if he stays healthy he seems like he should be a decent starter for a couple more years, curious if people who know stuff agree.
    Thanks

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Fred Andersen career path?

This was Andersen's age 33 season. He will want to get a long-term deal to serve as his last big deal before retirement.

Carolina will have a bunch of cap room next year. In addition to Andersen, they lose J. Staal, Fast, Stastny, Gostisbehere, Pacioretty, Gardiner, Raanta, and Kase, all to the tune of over $20 million. Puljujarvi is really the only RFA of note. Necas and Jarvis will need new contracts before the end of next year, so Carolina won't blow all 20 million this year. Amazingly, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Slavin, Burns, and Kochetkov are the only Hurricanes under contract for 2024-2025. A lot of people will need raises or be sent away in the next couple years.

The answer to your question will probably be borne out by how free agency goes. If someone is willing to give Andersen 3 or 4 years at a salary comparable to his current $4.5 million, he takes that. But if the goalie market stagnates for Andersen, then he's probably looking at a one year deal with Carolina unless Carolina signs someone else first to pair with Kochetkov. He'll get the Klingberg treatment, which is worse for goalies. I don't see him resigning with Carolina unless the price point is low or the term is 1, or at most, two years.

Of note is that this year, each of Kochetkov, Andersen, and Raanta played around the same number of games and Andersen generated the worst GAA and SV% of the trio. Not by much, but that data point shows that Carolina doesn't exactly suffer if Andersen leaves.

Dobber Sports Monster

I think he leaves Carolina after not being the starter this playoffs and Carolina loving to go cheap in net. It'll probably be Kochetkov and whoever wants to sign relatively cheap.

Where he ends up, I have no clue. Depends where there are openings. Some might appear that we don't predict. Like what if Jarry leaves Pittsburgh as some expect? What if Philly trades Hart? What if LA can't retain Korpisalo? Other than the obvious options there are some sneaky potential landing spots.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also think he's likely leaving Carolina. Where he ends up, I'm not sure.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Carolina just doesn't need him. They'll role with Kochetkov and probably Raanta next year. They're up 3-1 over the Islanders with Raanta in net. Their team is built that it doesn't really matter who's in net.
    Kochetkov is signed for 4 years at 2mil. I expect Raanta to sign a shorter deal for similar money. They'll have money freed up to spend elsewhere.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I also think he's likely leaving Carolina. Where he ends up, I'm not sure.
    I agree. The only way he goes back to Carolina is if there is no goalie market this offseason. I'd love to see him get a 2-year deal in Buffalo or Ottawa.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Depends how he feels about winning.

He could sign for a few more dollars on a bad team to be their backup or push to start (Chicago, CBJ, STL), go to a fringe team (Pitts, Ottawa, Vancouver) and play a more backup role, or go to a legit contender for minimal money (Tampa, Carolina, Colorado, Rangers).

He's in a transition spot, and if I was him I'd be chasing playoff success and extend my career a few yrs and be a backup. If he chases money and has a complete awful yr, his career could end in Chicago on a sour note.

But he's at a crossroads on what he believes his hockey career is. He could retire and I wouldn't be totally surprised. His knees could be gone and he wants to bend over without pain in his 40s.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

There's hardly any real starters these days and I doubt he's durable enough to play that many games anyway. He'll be a tandem goalie somewhere else next year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

I can see him in Ottawa or LA/Chicago. I don’t think he’ll be back in Carolina.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Star

Definitely out from Carolina, he's been injured at the start of playoffs b2b years. That isnt totally his fault sincec injuries happen but it is super annoying.

He is still an average to above-average starting goalie though so I do think he could go to a playoff team. Pittsburgh or maybe LA come to mind.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I think he leaves Carolina after not being the starter this playoffs
    He's been out with an injury. He's now a gametime decision and may start Game 5 today. He's their guy.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    He's been out with an injury. He's now a gametime decision and may start Game 5 today. He's their guy.
    No he's not lol. He is washed imo and will be a split starter somewhere next year. He may steal the job away if that is the case if the other guy stumbles, but that is an if. From a fantasy perspective always seems to be hurt, shakey the last few games, etc... Worst pick of my draft this year was him by far.

https://cardiaccane.com/2023/04/13/r...n-heres-proof/
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    Wow. I will eat my words and admit when I am wrong. I can't believe they resigned him given his injury history. I'm still not touching him with a 10 foot pole in fantasy anymore though.
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 1320kid View Post
    Wow. I will eat my words and admit when I am wrong. I can't believe they resigned him given his injury history. I'm still not touching him with a 10 foot pole in fantasy anymore though.
    I agree. I own him in dynasty so his resigning is great for me. Granted, I have Kochetkov in another league and could really use him as their main starter.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Im not surprised they kept Freddy despite the injuries, he took a paycut and the other options werent necessarily better

What I am surprised by is how much more money hes getting than Raanta who had the better season
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.