Thread: Help with keeper strategy in a cap league

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Help with keeper strategy in a cap league

Hi all,

I am trying to get ahead of the market for the offseason and I'm facing a (nice) problem since my projected keepers are solid but also very expensive and I would like your input on how you would proceed.
    League details: Weekly pts-only keeper league, 19-player, 95M salary mass (average 5M/player) with 2 farm spots, start 9F, 4D, 2G and 4 bench. Goalie wins = 2pts, SH +1pt, OTL = 1pt. keep 8

Here is my team with my projected keepers in bold and cap hits for next year:
    Kucherov (9.5)
    Kaprizov (9)
    Pastrnak (11.25)
    Rantanen (9.25)

Raymond (.925)
    Kyrou (8.125)
    Necas (3)
    Konecny (5.5)
    Meier (RFA)

Josi (9.059)
    Hamilton (9)

Theodore (5.2)
    Bouchard (RFA)
    Sanderson (.925)
    Gusavsson (UFA)

Shesterkin (5.66)
    Fleury (3.5)
    Samsonov (RFA)

Farm: Guenther, open spot.

This amounts to 67.9M (71% of my mass) for 8 players. Who would you keep on this team? Thanks!
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Help with keeper strategy in a cap league

I don't know much about cap leagues, but I'd be awfully tempted to choose players like Sanderson, Bouchard & Necas over expensive players like Hamilton & Josi. Really depends on how well you think you can fill out the rest of your roster. If it's easy to find cheap decent talent, then keep all the ones you've already selected.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Icon

There's no way you should be keeping 6 players with a salary over $9M each. I would be looking to move Hamilton and Josi since they are the two high paid players who will likely have the least amount of points next season. I would replace those two with Necas and Sanderson.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wouldnt take advice from people who dont play in cap leagues. You need the best players in the league to win and they are expensive. I'm keeping Hamilton for sure.
    You could try to trade one of Josi, Kuch, or Pasta for draft picks if you think you need to free up some salary, and then fill that spot with Necas, Bouch, or Sanderson.
    Depends a bit on your league as some league owners will build towards the future more than others.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As much as I like Josi I would try to move him to free up some space, as noted above, and use that spot for Bouchard (depending on contract) since he is running the PP. I like Sanderson but he does have a lot of competition in OTT so would lean Bouchard if he's locked in as the PP1 QB in EDM. If I couldn't move Josi it would be hard not to keep him but at his salary I am sure he wouldn't go too early in the draft, unless there are some win now teams with very cap friendly players. That is also assuming you'd be replacing the keeper spot with another D.
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd probably keep who you selected... but I'd also entertain the idea of moving on from Josi (who's another year older).

Keeping 3 Dman your keeping 75% of the starter spots for that position (only 44% for F).
    While I have more faith in Kyrou to repeat then Necas, at only 3m you got to take that risk imo.
    A move like this can pay off big.

That frees up another 6m while keeping 55.5% of forwards and 50% D-man for your starters spots.
    Giving you more flexibility at the draft table for more optimal picks.

Shouldn't be too hard to get good ELC players, who will produce, to fill your bench spots.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank you guys for the suggestions so far. I am trying to size up who are my best D men in these circumstances, I also see the upside of moving Josi now depending on the return and I sure would like to bet on Bouchard and/ or Necas next year.
    I wanted to know how much stock everyone was putting on Hamilton repeating this year's performance, I think it's a big factor in my D keeper selection.
    Cheers!
    G Shesterkin Samsonov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Copying your list so I can go through it; I reversed positional order. You will have severe cap distribution problems if you keep your projected guys, so much so that if I were in your league I'd be pretty happy if those were your keepers. I've won a few cap leagues over the last few seasons, but I play dynasty now.

G:
    Shesterkin (5.66)
    Fleury (3.5)
    Samsonov (RFA)

I'm betting Igor is the right keep. If Samsonov comes in very cheaply and stays in Toronto, he could be the better value, but I'd bet against all that happening.

D:

Josi (9.059)
    Hamilton (9)
    Theodore (5.2)

Bouchard (RFA)
    Sanderson (.925)
    Gusavsson (UFA)

Ugh. This is great now, but it's some tough choices on who to let go. You have 2 expensive D who are excellent, and one mid priced D who is solid, plus 2 good young cheap D. You should not keep 5, so you've got to deal from strength here. I'd look to keep Bouchard, and two of the italicized D, leaning towards dealing Hamilton. Sanderson is a keeper option if he produces well with the audition he has with Chabot & Chychrun out.

F:
    Kucherov (9.5)
    Kaprizov (9)
    Pastrnak (11.25)
    Rantanen (9.25)

Kyrou (8.125)
    Necas (3)
    Konecny (5.5)
    Raymond (.925)

Meier (RFA)

Necas is your best forward keeper, and no I'm not kidding. Konency is point per game this season at 5.5 M. Raymond is a super value. At least 1-2 of the 4 guys in italics needs to go. I'd lean Pastrnak, as he's 20% more expensive, but not really 20% better.

Note that if you throw some of these guys back, they will be there to redraft. There will be expensive players available at the draft most of the time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Necas is your best forward keeper, and no I'm not kidding. Konency is point per game this season at 5.5 M. Raymond is a super value. At least 1-2 of the 4 guys in italics needs to go. I'd lean Pastrnak, as he's 20% more expensive, but not really 20% better.

Note that if you throw some of these guys back, they will be there to redraft. There will be expensive players available at the draft most of the time.
    My thinking was that the expensive players available won't be as high point getters and you be spending more $ for not as much. The players in lower tiers are where you find the value as you can hit on one that busts out. I don't think any of Kuch,Kap,Pasta,Rantanen will improve much on their seasons, but also high floors. You know what you are getting.

Also I never really looked into Konecny as being an option so good thinking there.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I often wonder why I and so many others subject themselves to the ass pain associated with CAP leagues (:

Still, we do, and the choices you have to make are absolutely inherent to being in a CAP league. Bottom line, you have to manage the CAP and that means moving excellent players in and out pretty much on a yearly basis while still remaining competitive. So, something has to give here. You need to roll up your sleeves and start shopping a few guys before you declare your 8 keeps. BTW, if you were competitive this year you have little choice but to keep rolling your guys but if not, the window to shop elite players has passed in terms of return value, moving them in the summer is not nearly as beneficial as moving them to teams trying to win a championship. I like the choices already mentioned here, guys like Josi first and foremost, Pasta and Kucherov are trade options I would aggressively pursue. The return is NOT shiny new toys, but already established NHL players that are ready to break out combined with relatively high draft picks. That's how you remain competitive yearly in a CAP league IMO. I like the other keeper options you have and that combined with what you can get back in a trade for a few of these guys should position you well for next year. Good Luck
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    My thinking was that the expensive players available won't be as high point getters and you be spending more $ for not as much. The players in lower tiers are where you find the value as you can hit on one that busts out. I don't think any of Kuch,Kap,Pasta,Rantanen will improve much on their seasons, but also high floors. You know what you are getting.

Also I never really looked into Konecny as being an option so good thinking there.
    Yes, but if you have the lower priced players who can continue to bust out already, shouldn't you keep them? There will be expensive quality players thrown back. Good luck.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Let me try this again as power went out midway though :/
    You need a good mix to win. At 95m cap I think the good expensive quality players will be scarce and kept.

Let me update my list though:

Kucherov (9.5)
    Kaprizov (9)
    Pastrnak (11.25)
    Rantanen (9.25)
    Raymond (.925)
    Kyrou (8.125)
    Necas (3)
    Konecny (5.5)
    Meier (RFA)

I think I can replace Raymond easier than Kaprizov. I need the point output of Kaprizov here, especially if I'm not keeping Hamilton.

Josi (9.059)
    Hamilton (9)
    Theodore (5.2)
    Bouchard (RFA)
    Sanderson (.925)
    Gusavsson (UFA)

I would need to look into Bouchard more, and know what he signs for. Not sure if OP needs to make the decision now or can wait until he finds this out. Do you think he signs for under 3.5m?
    That will determine if I keep the combo of Kaprizov, Bouchard or Raymond, Hamilton.

Shesterkin (5.66)
    Fleury (3.5)
    Samsonov (RFA)

If Bouchard comes in at little under 4m that puts your keepers at ~51m (53.68% of cap) for 8/15 starter spots filled.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Given the way NHL GM's throw big money at Defensemen I would be awfully surprised if Bouchard doesn't land himself a pretty fat long term contract. The Oilers have very little in the pipeline with the exception perhaps of Broberg that stand in Bouchard's way of being a top pairing PP1 D man and I'm thinking the Oilers will want to lock him up with a sweet contract. We'll see.

As a last point, I've been in CAP leagues for years and I can tell you that the successful GM's are trade monsters. They will trade anyone, and do, and if they're good, and they are, they always have a team that is just as strong or better than what they started with. It's all about the return and knowing what you need back to remain competitive. All this to say that while having a "protected" list is fine, limiting your trade options to meet CAP requirements is not what the better GM's do. I've seen this for years and seen some head shaking trades go down meaning, why would he trade that guy. But guess what, when the dust settles, there's the trade monster back on top of the standings yet again. Just sayin'
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Whoa thanks guys for the input! I can definitely wait to know more about Bouchard's next contract, we're a long way yet before we choose our keepers. The other GMs have traditionally kept all their expensive stars but I began to see this trend reversing last year and your suggestions have helped narrow down who I should shop around. I'll do my best to capitalize on my high profile players while they're hot!
    G Shesterkin Samsonov

Dobber Sports Veteran

I play in a few cap leagues, and the competitive teams will always have difficult decisions every year.

Here is what I would do in your situation:

Kucherov (9.5)
    Kaprizov (9)
    Pastrnak (11.25)
    Rantanen (9.25)
    Necas (3)
    Konecny (5.5)

Theodore (5.2)

Shesterkin (5.66)

That ends up being a very nice mix of elite players with high floors (Kap/Pasta/Kuch/Rantanen), a couple of guys who imo will significantly outplay their contracts (Necas, Theodore and Konecny) and an elite goalie.

Should give you a lot of flexibility in your draft.