Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Biggest fantasy regrets of 22/23 season

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Biggest fantasy regrets of 22/23 season

First year in PQMC for me and never been in a league with FW. I went Andersen 2nd overall to lock up a 2nd goalie. Given how fluid a lot of team's goalie situations have been this year, I wish I went Giroux here.

Dobber Sports Ace

I traded Tage Thompson for Lucas Raymond early in the season before TT exploded. Might be the biggest cringe trade of my fantasy hockey career.

Dobber Sports Monster

I dropped Jamie Benn early on. I had thought it was such a great late pick too, with a new offensive minded coach in town. But he was third line and limited ice time and not producing so I dropped...what sign was there that he was going to have a rebound season after that start?. Then he exploded. I'm on track to knock out the team that grabbed him though so that felt good.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

Swayman over Ullmark
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Swayman over Ullmark
    Keeper league? If so that was 10000% the right decision. Even in 1-year leagues, people forget that Swayman took over the crease for the final 5 games of that Canes series last year.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Keeper league? If so that was 10000% the right decision. Even in 1-year leagues, people forget that Swayman took over the crease for the final 5 games of that Canes series last year.
    It's because of that playoff usage that I went with Swayman, and it's a league where we can keep players based on round, but only one goalie and I have Oettinger in the 29th for another year so I knew I wouldn't be keeping either one.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Could've traded Lafreniere and a 2nd for T Thompson and a 5th. This was before the breakout but it was a close call.

I also traded RNH and Pietrangelo for Norris and Laine. Time will tell on that one but it's hard to watch RNH maintain what I thought was a hot streak!
    Rbh will come back to earth- that Laffy one hurts now but it could get better too...

The Great One

My biggest whiff was Bunting for Krebs who ended up being a dropper. The worst part is I basically knew Bunting would repeat or get better but I was my own worst enemy trying to get rid of him in my rebuild. I couldn't sell any of the contending teams on him and instead of waiting I just shipped him for the first halfway decent prospect I could net. Krebs had a very bad season but whats worse is that every article I read about his struggles cites his shot- which was said to be very sub par or even weak- an asset he wasn't using much to begin with. Our format is the suggest aog heavy format I've ever seen lol!

Doesn't look egregious but all I had to do was wait a month or two and im sure I could have gotten a worthwhile asset- had to drop him for nothing...

Dobber Sports Titan

Misunderstanding rule changes going into next yr, and Yahoo's message board not updating properly to explain it before a big trade I made.

I moved Marner, Pasta, 1st round pick for Makar, Kaprizov, 2nd round pick. I finished 10th, with the highest odds for Bedard. I thought we were switching keepers from 6 to 4, meaning I thought I was giving up my 2nd round pick...

The rule goes into place after the 2023-24 season...I likely traded away Bedard.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Could have drafted Jason Robertson but took Chabot because I was too focused on wanting to lock up a strong D core
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Stud

Betting on Mangiapane instead of picking the surer thing in Toffoli.
    Owning Markstrom and expecting 30 wins (I had lowered my expectations, but still).
    It is a Calgary-themed list of regrets.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Sage

A funny story, big-time blessing and lesson to pass on to others;

In the past off-season (in what used to be my favorite 24-team dynasty league with some truly incredible GMs for 8 years running and a lot of time invested since day 1) we had a window of opportunity to ask for position changes for players and I asked for Hartman to be moved from C to RW ahead of the upcoming season.

Long story short, I was told by the head commissioner that it was a "bullshit request" and he wanted me out of the league (with a few more profanities in his actual private messages which were the last bunch of a string of private message harassments over the course of a few months).

Now, he and a few other GMs weren't happy I won the previous season and I imagine there were growing levels of bitterness and concern with how competitive I was setting my team up to be for the next decade (after winning twice already - would've been three times if not for the COVID cancellation). The head-commissioner went out of his way to slap my pee-pee the day trading opened up in the off-season after I admitted to having a verbal agreement with another GM during our "trade freeze" (8 years into the league and I had no idea we weren't allowed to talk trade during the "trade freeze").

It was growing more obvious that I was the next GM up on his "hitlist" (after many others quit before me for very similar reasons) and my position change request seemingly broke the old camel's back.

Well... I quit the league. Hartman went on to play the entire season at RW. And my mental health improved drastically.

Blessing in disguise and the karmaic poetic irony never felt so good.

I suppose my biggest regret was realizing the amount of time I had invested into a league I was very passionate about only to be harassed into quitting 8 years after joining as a founding member who had set-up a perennial contender for years to come.

Tread carefully in the Fantasy League Classifieds section... even with the longer-standing members here. Best to stick to leagues with your close friends and leave it at that.

TLDR: I regret asking for a RWer to get RW eligibility ahead of the 2022-23 season as it led to me getting harassed by a commissioner and subsequently quitting a league I put hundreds (if not thousands) of hours into over an 8-year span that I'll never get back... and for what?
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Padawan

Took Chabot 12th D drafted. Dropped him moments b4 he started playing 1/2 decent. Made a lot of poor decisions this year.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Superstar

In a 1-year league. Goalies just goalies

I do believe in the 0G aka "take goalies late" strategy however:
    -drafted Elvis, L. Thompson and P. Francouz and was fighting the goalie puck all year long.
    Had a chance to pick up Vanecek in the 2nd week of the season but did not...

In my first round elimination I got zero starts out of drafted goalies.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Misunderstanding rule changes going into next yr, and Yahoo's message board not updating properly to explain it before a big trade I made.

I moved Marner, Pasta, 1st round pick for Makar, Kaprizov, 2nd round pick. I finished 10th, with the highest odds for Bedard. I thought we were switching keepers from 6 to 4, meaning I thought I was giving up my 2nd round pick...

The rule goes into place after the 2023-24 season...I likely traded away Bedard.
    Ugh that one hurts man. I’m cringing for you. Hopefully that doesn’t end up being the case.