Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hypothetical - What's the Ask for Bedard?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Hypothetical - What's the Ask for Berard?

The ELC for those years are priceless.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    In 2 of my leagues I am in the running for Berard with a lottery pick. So obviously, my team's are in need of a significant boost.

IF I was lucky enough to land the top pick, what kind of return might I get for Berard if I choose to move him?

As a starting point, I was thinking of:
    - 2 established young NHL'rs
    - 2 promising prospects, both close to making the NHL; and
    - switch of picks in the 2023 draft if not a lottery team making the trade

Something like (to throw random names out there for reference):
    Berard for Terry (F), K Miller (D), Knies (F), Edvinsson (D) & a switch of 2023 picks.

Is that expectation reasonable or too high/too low? If not, what is a reasonable expected return?
    This return is far too low and probably not the right approach. The above suggests a willingness to do a deal in the realm of fair. That can't be the approach here.

Treat Bedard like he's somewhere between Auston Matthews and David Pastrnak. A slamdunk 1st rounder even in one-year leagues (which is what he'll be by year 4 at the latest), perennial 50-goal/100-point threat. What are you asking for that sort of player in the leagues above? The moon. Maybe the world. Maybe it's not even a conversation you are willing to have and instead focus on what moves you can make to build around Bedard.

If your team is really weak, then focus on setting the table for 4 years from now when you should expect Bedard's massive 2nd deal to come in. McDavid will be a free agent that same summer and will set the upper limit on salaries but Matthews will have already signed a new deal likely blowing past McDavid's $12.5M AAV, far more than MacKinnon's new deal at $12.6M. Expect Bedard to come in around whatever Matthews signs for on his next deal and line up your salary cap accordingly.

I'd also still try to win while having Bedard on a cheap ELC, focusing on his 2nd year, which would give you time to build a competitive squad in the short term but also time to fix your cap in time for that 4th year spike in salary.

If you are determined to find a trade because you don't like the salary story above then any reasonable starting point should include an established (and under-27) Top-10 or so player in your league. McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, MacKinnon, Makar, Pastrnak, Rantanen, J Hughes, Kaprizov and then build out sweeteners going one way or the other from there. But the expectation is Bedard comes in somewhere on their level.

Don't have a young top-10 guy to offer? Then your ticket to ride becomes 3 (under-27) top-50 guys like Svechnikov, Meier, Hischier, Zegras, Q Hughes, etc. and then build out sweeteners from there.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

Am I the only one who thinks it is going to be 3 or 4 years before Bedard gets over a point per game? Sure his shot is NHL caliber but there's a big difference in scoring on WHL goalies than on NHL goalies. I am not sure he is quick enough to get the scoring chances that he gets in the WHL.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it is going to be 3 or 4 years before Bedard gets over a point per game? Sure his shot is NHL caliber but there's a big difference in scoring on WHL goalies than on NHL goalies. I am not sure he is quick enough to get the scoring chances that he gets in the WHL.
    It's entirely possible. Jack Hughes was a readymade prospect in terms of skating and scoring chance creation and didn't get there until year three because he didn't have the shooting or the teammates. Bedard's another step up from Hughes as a prospect though. I think he walks into 30+ goals as a rookie and not because it'll be easy but because he's already that good as a shooter/creator and because he's going to relentlessly work on it.

I'm interested to see if Bedard gets an invite to play for Canada at the Men's World Championships (like Hughes did for the USA in his draft year). It would be a great opportunity to see him light up some pro goalies and push the hype machine to another level (if that's possible).
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

Top 5 player currently in the league + helpful roster player + futures - 1st round pick + 2 grade A prospects. But even then, I would not move Bedard unless I was potentially fetching McDavid. What I've learned so far in fantasy hockey is; do not move generational players. Build around them.

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree whole heartedly with this. The first 2 years there will be adjustment and growing pains. Bedard has the talent that I would still take him 1st overall in most limited keeper leagues and and of course any full keeper or dynasty. But he's going to be overdrafted majorly in one year leagues the next couple of years
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He’ll do it year 2 at the latest.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a McDavid owner in a dynasty I would not be trading McDavid for Bedard. I do think Bedard will be special but we just don’t know. McDavid is the legit best player in the world at the moment and I don’t think Bedard will be as good though I think he’ll be the best player since the McD draft. Having said that I’ve been having similar thoughts about trying to acquire the pick from the manager who will be picking first. I hope his ask wouldn’t be as high as many on here! But it definitely makes me aware of the majority of opinions on his value already! But not a chance I’d ship McDavid for him.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I am not sure I would be the one wanting to trade Bedard right off the hop if I had the chance to get him.
    The hype on him is crazy ( with good reason ) I would bet to get him via trade you'd have move a ton of value and probably would be detrimental to do it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Hypothetical - What's the Ask for Bedard?

I've got a load of high picks in one of my upcoming drafts, and after input from others (and thinking about Bedard's potential trade value), I'm ranking Bedard in this way:

For sure ahead of him: Matthews, Marner & M. Tkachuk.
    THEN: Bedard (maybe to keep, but if I get him I'll shop him hard).
    For sure after him: K. Connor, Aho, Point, Barzal, etc..

My ask would be a couple of really good current players (maybe ones whose 5 year contracts end in a year or two) and a future 1st (1sts have a load of value in my league due to how contracts age out after 5 years).

The Great One

Default Re: Hypothetical - What's the Ask for Bedard?

Why are you looking at moving Bedard?