Thread: Playoff week 1 goalie conundrum!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Playoff week 1 goalie conundrum!

First week in Yahoo playoffs & my goalies are a mess. I have Jarry, Vanecek and Sogaard, and my opponent has Bobs, Demko and Korpisalo. I'm not even sure how to handle Jarry this week with Dallas, Colorado and Washington upcoming & 5 defensemen hurt. So my question is: do I even play Jarry (confirmed) tonight and Sogaard (if he gets confirmed) and hope for the best or pick strategic starts and hope I get luck with GAA & SV%?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Playoff week 1 goalie conundrum!

We don’t have any details regarding your league Witcher want to be very important, including how many goalies you start.

your problem is not only with Jarry, he’s been a disaster lately, but Sogaard has been even worse. So if you were to start two, for example, I probably go Vanicek and Jerry and hope and pray that the Penguins right the ship in front of Jarry.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    We donÂ’t have any details regarding your league Witcher want to be very important, including how many goalies you start.

your problem is not only with Jarry, heÂ’s been a disaster lately, but Sogaard has been even worse. So if you were to start two, for example, I probably go Vanicek and Jerry and hope and pray that the Penguins right the ship in front of Jarry.
    Thanks. It's standard Yahoo categories: W, GAA, SV% & SO with daily starts. I'm even worried with Vanecek since Schmid seems to be stealing some starts recently.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Everything is inter-related.
    The only thing that matters is winning the week and advancing (I assume this is head to head, categories given your post).

Your goalies are a mess, the good news is so are your opponents!
    If we look just at goalie stats you have 2 options: pick and choose to get to (3 starts??) and pray you take GAA and SV% OR start lots early trying for the sweep and then later in the week make a game by game decision.
    This decision is somewhat impacted by the skater matchup.. are you a favorite, and thus getting 2 goalie stats is great, or an underdog who needs a good goalie showing ??

Given the guys you have, the guys he has, I would be included to start both in the Pens v. Senators game. Hope for a low scoring affair and then re-evaluate. If it goes well you can be more selective later in the week.
    If it goes poorly, you can all-out start to try and take Ws, maybe recover in SV% and GAA, and heck maybe score a SO.

The other option, if possible, is to ride Vanecek and either pickup Schmid or carefully select another goalie start to get to 3. On paper this often looks good because you can pick your starts, and improves your odds for GAA and SV%. The main problem is that it allows for no backup, if 1 of 3 starts is a 5 GA affair you can get swept in goalies, and that is hard to recover from.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

If you have to play 2 then go with the best 2. If you have to play 1, go with Vanacek. Although, Jarry did enough to win last night. Pens just ran into a hot goalie.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent