Thread: 3 picks within top-16 for my 3rd overall?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default 3 picks within top-16 for my 3rd overall?

A GM offered me the following for my 3rd overall (I also have a 5th overall) in this year's draft. Here is what they said:
    • 1 of 6th or 7th
    • 2 of 14th, 15th, or 16th

The order hasn't been decided because we are about to start playoffs and the regular season just ended, so positioning of those picks is undetermined.
    If not 3rd overall, do you think that's fair for my 5th overall?

I'm pretty solid on F prospects (I have Cooley, Snuggerud, and Beniers) so I'm a bit more open since this draft is F-heavy.

Thanks!
    League #1 | Yahoo! Single Season 8-team H2H (no cap)
    4 Skater categories: G, A, HITS, BLKS
    • Positions are LW, C, RW

3 Goalie categories: W, GAA, SV%

–––

League #2
    | Yahoo! Dynasty 6-team H2H
    (no cap) main team (23 keepers out of 23), with minors (15 keepers out of 23)
    • Consecutive champions must drop 2 extra players
    • Consecutive last place finishers receives 2 extra keepers

6 Skater categories: G, A, TOI, HITS, BLKS, PP-P
    • Positions are either F or D

4 Goalie categories: W, L, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 3 picks within top-16 for my 3rd overall?

I would definitely move 5th overall for 7th + 15th + 16th.

3rd overall for those 3 picks is also likely a good move but there's a higher chance that the 3rd overall pick becomes a superstar. This would depend greatly on the number of players rostered in your league. The bigger the league is the more this move would make sense. It would also depend on how patient you are and where you think Michkov will be drafted in your league.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Personally, I don't like this. In an average draft year, well maybe. This year, the top 5 could arguably be 1st overall's in an average draft year. I'm going quality over quantity for sure and hoping one or both of my picks are indeed elite at the NHL level. There is way more chance of that happening with a 3rd and 5th than with a 7th, 15th and a 16th. Pass for me.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

If you're a fairly good drafter, I'd definitely do this deal. Especially since you have the 5th as well.

Dobber Sports Star

I wouldn't move the 3rd. To me there is a definitive top 3, and then a stretch from 4 to 9 or so that is about the same. I'd trade the 5, as mentioned above.

Dobber Sports Pro

The other GM wants Fantilli or Michkov, I’m pretty sure. Depends how you feel about them… With the 6th, you could get guys like Carlsson, Smith, Benson. Personally, I wouldn’t do it because i think Fantilli/Michkov have higher ceilings than the others. I would try it with your 5th overall. Good luck!
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ace

I would not do this deal. At #3 overall in this draft you’re going to be getting a much better player.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's a 6 team league? So the OGM is likely the top team in the league if they're offering the 6th/7th OA. And the other picks are 3rd rounders. I definitely would not move your 3rd, as others have said, that's likely to be a superstar. I'd move your 5th OA if you can get those extra picks. What kind of player was selected in the 15 range last year? How likely is it that your team can compete? As long as the gap between the top teams and you isn't too much, move your 5th and get the volume of picks to compete next year.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd definitely do the 5th overall for one of 6th or 7th and one of the other picks, not both.

To further clarify, is this actually a 6 team league? If so, then that's going to mean you want top end talent a bit more. How deep are the rosters, and starting lineups?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

It's a 6-team league but each team has a minor, so technically 12 even though we only compete for the main 6.

Thank you all for your responses! I'm going to see if I can position the 5th overall instead of the 3rd.

–––

League #2

The Great One

I don't like this at all. Id imagine hes making the offer cause there is a clear top 4 here- and honestly it may be a top 3- where you stand a really good chance of getting a franchise/generational type player- in Bedard case its almost a certainty lol! I'm personally a huge fan of michkove because we've heard about his exploits for years, he broke ovechkoms totals in his +1 year as a 17 year ild! His khl scoring is legendary and his pnhle is inching closer to Bedard territory (although I don't think he'll get there and some of that was predicated on a throwaway game where he got 5 points in the art game of the season). I don't know as much about fantilli but the experts swear hes even better than michkov and his ncaa numbers don't just surpass eichels they dwarf them. I'm not as sold on Leo Carlsson but if he hits his upside of being a lot like Barkov- i don't think anyone's going to complain.

There is some great talent later in this draft but would you trade aho and barzal for eichel? In my format I would NOT. If that kind of move makes sense in your league maybe its worth considering- heck with a good draft maybe you do even better than barzal and aho- but if given the chance at either a franchise or generational talent id hold on tight with both hands myself...

Dobber Sports Novice

Thank you everyone! Mixed responses lets me know it's at least in the ball-park so I'll see if I can squeeze more out or just stand pat.

–––

League #2

Dobber Sports Initiate

He wants 3rd OA that requires a much better return given the talent up for grabs this year.
    If said GM doesn't like that; I suggest you tell them to pound salt.

Give consideration to moving your 5th OA, but would not be in an sort of rush to do that trade.

Heck let's say you don't get Bedard. Imagine that you could now draft 2 of the following 4 players; Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Benson
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov