Thread: Early Keeper Question

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Early Keeper Question

League in sig. In a bit of a 'retooling' phase. Just missed the playoffs, which started this week and I have a few extra draft picks in the upcoming draft. As it stands right now, I've got 11 players I'd like to keep but can only keep 10. Of the following, who would you try to shop and why? Fantasy points per game this season listed beside each player name. Typically, a player in around 2.5 is a good keeper. Players clearing 3 are considered elite.

Fiala - 3.08
    Keller - 3.10
    Theodore - 3.03
    Schmaltz - 2.83
    Hagel - 2.79
    McCann - 2.70
    Mercer - 2.61
    Vilardi - 2.36
    Ehlers - 2.22
    Norris - 1.51
    Kakko - 1.48

I should also add that we are adding SOG next year, which doesn't bode real well for this group of players. I've been trying to get Hits added forever but the rest of the managers in my league are a bunch of wieners. Any advice is appreciated!

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Early Keeper Question

Shop Schmaltz 10000%

Then perhaps Mercer given his value is super high right now.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Superstar

Using your analysis of what defines a keeper and the quality thereof, you have 3 players that are elite. Problem is, IMO, they are all border line elite. Fiala, Keller and Theodore are OK, but there are an awful lot of options out there that are an improvement on all of them. You have another 4 players that are good keepers by your definition. Again, with the exception of possibly Mercer these players are not the best of options to be considered solid core players. I know in my leagues which range from 12 - 14 teams McCann, for example, is often an FA. To be honest, the only guys you have that I really like and think could turn into truly elite keepers are Norris and Mercer. If Ehlers deployment changes, well he is certainly in the mix as well, but question marks and plenty of them surround all of these guys. What I am suggesting here is that it would take one hell of a "retool" to make this team a solid contender in a 14 team keep 10. Perhaps a "rebuild" is something you need to consider. I would shop all of these guys, hard, and see if I could start building a core that is considerably stronger than the one you have now. If you use the assets that you do have wisely, you could be a contender in a few years, but I just don't see the current core as being anywhere near championship material. I'm sure this may not be what you wanted to hear, sorry about that, but hopefully this is of some help.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Using your analysis of what defines a keeper and the quality thereof, you have 3 players that are elite. Problem is, IMO, they are all border line elite. Fiala, Keller and Theodore are OK, but there are an awful lot of options out there that are an improvement on all of them. You have another 4 players that are good keepers by your definition. Again, with the exception of possibly Mercer these players are not the best of options to be considered solid core players. I know in my leagues which range from 12 - 14 teams McCann, for example, is often an FA. To be honest, the only guys you have that I really like and think could turn into truly elite keepers are Norris and Mercer. If Ehlers deployment changes, well he is certainly in the mix as well, but question marks and plenty of them surround all of these guys. What I am suggesting here is that it would take one hell of a "retool" to make this team a solid contender in a 14 team keep 10. Perhaps a "rebuild" is something you need to consider. I would shop all of these guys, hard, and see if I could start building a core that is considerably stronger than the one you have now. If you use the assets that you do have wisely, you could be a contender in a few years, but I just don't see the current core as being anywhere near championship material. I'm sure this may not be what you wanted to hear, sorry about that, but hopefully this is of some help.
    I don't necessarily disagree, and I thank you for the honest assessment. My keepers are good but not great, which is part of the reason I asked the question. A full rebuild in this particular league is a task, as picks are overvalued in my opinion. We'll see what I can manage. Thanks again.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Schmaltz and Kakko would be guys I'd try and shop.

Schmaltz because his value is higher than expected right now.
    Kakko because he's still got some amount of shine, and you might get a good return.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.