Thread: Flyers fire Fletcher

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Flyers fire Fletcher

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status...QrYyY-XSA&s=19

OFFICIAL: The Flyers have released Chuck Fletcher from his duties as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. Daniel Brière, currently serving as Special Assistant to the General Manager, has been named Interim General Manager.
    Flyers fans rejoice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Flyers fire Fletcher

Never understand doing it after the deadline. But I guess at least it's not after the draft.

Dobber Sports Genius

ding dong the warlock is gone!
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

Dilly! Dilly! To the pit of misery!
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Firing Fletcher is a good start.
    But ownership (COMCAST) needs to boot their representative - Dave Scott, the head of the Flyers since 2017.

Since Scott has been in place, he has required the PHI GMs to "get better".
    And by that, it means INSTANTLY.

I mean... I hated Fletcher's moves.
    But what if the expectation was that he has a job if team today looks better than yesterday?!?

I mean... that's what a lot of the moves suggested while he was there.

The story here goes all the way back to PHI owners not liking the start to the 2018-19 season.
    PHI came out of the gate slow... PHI (ownership) wanted the coach gone.
    Hextall (then GM) wanted to wait on Hakstol (a GOOD coach) and the youth (they were coming).
    And when Hextall wouldn't fire him, PHI had the president fire Hextall (probably for president Holmgren to keep his own job) and then new GM fires Hakstol.
    Comments suggested the decision came directly from Dave Scott & crew on those moves.

It's been like this since Dave Scott has been in charge:
    *Get better, never worse
    *And do what I want - or you are gone

We'll never know if Fletcher even had a chance to consider stripping the team down for a better shot at Bedard.
    Torts never should've been hired because he's only grinded out wins another coach wouldn't...
    Lesser shot at Bedard.
    But maybe better shot at Fletcher holding his job... since team was "improving" from their 2021-22 season.
    Fugg. Not the right year to do that. How was that NOT clear to ANY hockey person?!?
    Philly had 0% at playoffs this year. (And by that, yeah 1% really... but the analysts knew...)

But if the organizational tact for PHI GMs is "Get better, never worse"...
    Then they are screwed forever.
    And that's the way it feels.

So... Dave Scott has to go too.
    And I'm not sure that'll happen.
    But it needs to.

Anyway - whether Fletcher had fair chance or not - he wasn't doing well enough.
    So... good riddance. (But maybe... he never had a shot.)

Dobber Sports Titan

It should have been months ago. Firing him a week before the deadline wouldn't have done anything. Glad they got him out before more damage could be done.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Novice

As a Flyers fan this is great news. It has taken way to long for this too happen. To me the timing before the draft is key.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Someone in the Flyers upper management or ownership must be pregnant…. Cause this is 9 months too late!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ace

Finally!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Firing Fletcher is a good start.
    But ownership (COMCAST) needs to boot their representative - Dave Scott, the head of the Flyers since 2017.

Since Scott has been in place, he has required the PHI GMs to "get better".
    And by that, it means INSTANTLY.

I mean... I hated Fletcher's moves.
    But what if the expectation was that he has a job if team today looks better than yesterday?!?

I mean... that's what a lot of the moves suggested while he was there.

The story here goes all the way back to PHI owners not liking the start to the 2018-19 season.
    PHI came out of the gate slow... PHI (ownership) wanted the coach gone.
    Hextall (then GM) wanted to wait on Hakstol (a GOOD coach) and the youth (they were coming).
    And when Hextall wouldn't fire him, PHI had the president fire Hextall (probably for president Holmgren to keep his own job) and then new GM fires Hakstol.
    Comments suggested the decision came directly from Dave Scott & crew on those moves.

It's been like this since Dave Scott has been in charge:
    *Get better, never worse
    *And do what I want - or you are gone

We'll never know if Fletcher even had a chance to consider stripping the team down for a better shot at Bedard.
    Torts never should've been hired because he's only grinded out wins another coach wouldn't...
    Lesser shot at Bedard.
    But maybe better shot at Fletcher holding his job... since team was "improving" from their 2021-22 season.
    Fugg. Not the right year to do that. How was that NOT clear to ANY hockey person?!?
    Philly had 0% at playoffs this year. (And by that, yeah 1% really... but the analysts knew...)

But if the organizational tact for PHI GMs is "Get better, never worse"...
    Then they are screwed forever.
    And that's the way it feels.

So... Dave Scott has to go too.
    And I'm not sure that'll happen.
    But it needs to.

Anyway - whether Fletcher had fair chance or not - he wasn't doing well enough.
    So... good riddance. (But maybe... he never had a shot.)
    A whole lot of detail here by Pengwin as per usual. I never heard of this clown Dave Scott, but the NHL and certainly the Flyers have too many 3 piece suits who know nothing about hockey, and as it turns out, business, pulling the strings and running things. A microcosm of today's society IMO. Bring out the BROOM!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Monster

I didn't know about him either, but apparently he's on the way out too according to Freidman on his podcast today.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Never understand doing it after the deadline. But I guess at least it's not after the draft.
    Better late rather than even later.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm a Flyers fan with a different perspective than Pengwin. Scott is not the whole problem, but he's part of the problem. The Flyers problems are multi-layered.

Scott wants immediate results in a industry where that doesn't happen. That's a bit of a Comcast mindset problem. Trust me on this, I've worked for them. Having a business guy running it is fine, as long as they understand the industry differences and are flexible.

The upper management that are hockey guys are incompetent: Clarke & Holmgren. They need to be reassigned to Bernie Parent's sort of job where all they do is interact with fans. They did a GM search and picked a terrible option in Fletcher.

I want them to keep Torts at this point. He's a good coach, and honestly, they could definitely do worse. I don't want a new hire for the sake of a new hire. I realize it's possibly not a popular decision, but I don't trust the new braintrust after seeing how well the Holmgren/Clarke group effs up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.