Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Points Only League - When to Ban McDavid [or generic star]?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Points Only League - When to Ban McDavid [or generic star]?

Looking for input on a very basic one-year league, points only pool I run.
    It is as simple as it gets: 12 teams, points only (Goalie W=2), snake draft, 9 F, 4D, 2G. 6 moves per year.
    I was not old enough to be involved in fantasy sports during the Gretzky glory days but have heard stories about how leagues would have "Gretzky Goals" and "Gretzky Assists" as separate players.

Watching McDavid's year this year started a conversation on whether it was fair to allow drafting McDavid or simply ban him from the league. (We could also, in theory, create a "McDavid Assists" and "McDavid Goals" maybe but I think that's the worst option given we run our pools online and would create a manual nightmare for the Commish aka me to maintain).

McDavid currently leads NHL scoring by 28 points, he will likely win the Art Ross by 25-40 points... We run a random challenge or draw for 1st overall, there is no skill in getting 1st overall. but it nets you a 30+ point head start.
    By comparison Draisaitl is 2nd, 5 points up on 3rd.

So I guess the question is: Does it make sense to ban McDavid from points only leagues? For Next Season? or should we wait for him to do it again? Or, never ban a player, because who knows ?
    I won't comment on where draft team #1 is in the standings as I think its less relevant than the question in an abstract sense.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Points Only League - When to Ban McDavid [or generic star]?

I'd want to see how often the team that wins actually drafted McDavid first to see if it makes a significant difference.

Dobber Sports Star

Im of the view of just letting it ride. The person that gets Mcjesus has increased onus on them to win it all or else they get clowned for sucking haha

So many things can happen like injury or a 'down year' where hes only slightly ahead of the pack vs super far ahead of the pack
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Star

It's a gut feeling, but I don't think individual players should be banned from the player pool. The nature of the game is that the NHL players are different, so there will inherently be differences. If it is one year, then you're already accepting that each new year is a roll of the dice. So each year, someone else gets a chance at McDavid. It is a level of meddling that isn't necessary.

Dobber Sports Padawan

last year I was in a one year league, 14 teams I think it was, with some Dobber regulars. G-1 / A-1. I had first pick. Took McDavid, ended up bottom 1/3 of the standings and I had followed Dobber's Draft List as best I could. Thought I'd do pretty good Ya, just about everyone I picked last year is having a much better year this than last.

My regular pool instituted a small draft last year. Last place the previous year got 1st pick. Guy took McD. Ended up last so got 1st pick again this year...he is so far ahead no one has a hope of catching him. So even if you get McD you still have to surround him with some pretty good players to win, eg...what have the Oilers done lately. I'd say include McDavid in the draft as the guy who gets him has a looong wait for his 2nd pick. And we will be adding a lottery to the draft in '24-'25.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Gretzky being split was a thing back then, but there's also Shohei Ohtani who is often split as pitcher and batter. I can see doing the split in points only, but not really in multi-cat.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports All-Star

28 points is nothing. Gretzky would win the scoring race by margins of 75+ points. Sometimes more. That’s the equivalent of a good player back then. If you can put together a pretty good team of players, the McDavid teams are easily beatable. The GM who has McDavid in our roto pool hasn’t won it yet. In points only it is harder to do (beat a McDavid team) but not as hard as when Gretzky was around.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

I’ve never seen McDavid single handedly win anyone a league. As has been said, you still have to draft well and be in the wire to have a winning team. And there’s always luck involved. Just let it be.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

How did the Keeping Karlsson leagues do it? Didn't they reverse the draft after the end of the 2nd round since the tops couple players and picks 21, 22, and 23 were still way more valuable than picks at the end of the first round and top of the second?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Im of the view of just letting it ride. The person that gets Mcjesus has increased onus on them to win it all or else they get clowned for sucking haha

So many things can happen like injury or a 'down year' where hes only slightly ahead of the pack vs super far ahead of the pack
    This.

Dobber Sports Wizard

you ban Mcdavid, next thing you know someone will ask to bann igor then makar and so on....not a good idea....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Immortal

I wouldn't mind knowing where the McDavid team sits in the Standings.

Dobber Sports Monster

In my opinion he isn't there yet and probably won't. 180 points would be where I would consider it. Way too premature. Sure picking him gives you an advantage but generally getting the first pick will do that. But I don't think the advantage you are gaining is as much as Gretzky's era.

This is the most recent Art ross winners vs 2nd place (points behind)

21/22: 8
    20/21: 21
    19/20: 13
    18/19: 12
    17/18: 6
    16/17: 11
    15/16: 17
    14/15: 1
    13/14: 17

Yes, McDavid is having a crazy season but who knows for sure if he will repeat this type of year next season. I would keep things as it is unless he is beating everyone by ~40 then it just gets too ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Sage

In tight competitive one year leagues I'm all for it. If that's what the group decides.
    You know if your league is that tight that 1st pick McDavid gives you that extra edge.
    I don't want to win because I lucked into McDavid extra 28 points along with the other advantage of being first pick.

On the other hand some leagues I play in the competition isn't that strong. I much prefer the weaker GM's get McDavid to get their team going and to give them something to be excited about during the year.
    Keeps the league fun for all and running. (This may be the majority of leagues). I wouldn't want to see McDavid banned here.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I’m sorry this is an asinine thread. Ban a player because he’s too good? Wtf? The guy who gets him won’t get to pick again for a long time in the draft. There are pros and cons to getting him and just because you get him doesn’t mean you win the league.
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion