View Poll Results: DeAngelo or Valimaki for fantasy playoffs? G,A,PPP Sog, Hit,Blk

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Valimaki

10 83.33%
  • DeAngelo

2 16.67%

Thread: DeAngelo or Valimaki for fantasy playoffs?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default DeAngelo or Valimaki for fantasy playoffs?

Been mulling this one over for a while now, and need the forums opinion:

Juuso Valimaki or Tony DeAngelo for fantasy playoffs starting a week from now?

League Statistics: G 6pts
    A 4pts
    PPP/SHP 1Pt
    Sog/Hit/BLK .5pts

DeAngelo is the flashier name, however Philadelphia is imploding. Digging deeper on Valimaki shows he was actually drafted higher than DeAngelo (16th/19th) and is being served all the minutes he can handle with Ghost and Chychrun out of PHX. Looking at his prospect report and it is checking a lot of boxes for what we should look for in a modern D. I have a good feeling about Valimaki and my gut is telling me to drop DeAngelo for him (Yes, DeAngelo is without a doubt my worst D man here).

Just wanted to see if people in the forums have a similar opinion or if I am off on this one and will regret dropping DeAngelo during a cold streak.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: DeAngelo or Valimaki for fantasy playoffs?

Another two assists last night, Valimaki is to say the least, hot. Valimaki was one of the Flames top prospects but he never had the opportunity to establish himself despite high expectations and having a very nice rookie year. With only 148 NHL games, Valimaki is still on the development curve but he now finds himself in the desert and is getting top pairing deployment and PP time. He is not disappointing. This is Arizona we are talking about so the ceiling is a bit limited, but if Valimaki continues to get plum minutes, and it looks like that will be the case, I think he could be a better own than Tony D. DeAngelo is not playing with a power house either and the bottom line is that Valimaki's numbers over the last 10 games are much better. Does the trend continue. I think there is a very good chance that it does.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Another two assists last night, Valimaki is to say the least, hot. Valimaki was one of the Flames top prospects but he never had the opportunity to establish himself despite high expectations and having a very nice rookie year. With only 148 NHL games, Valimaki is still on the development curve but he now finds himself in the desert and is getting top pairing deployment and PP time. He is not disappointing. This is Arizona we are talking about so the ceiling is a bit limited, but if Valimaki continues to get plum minutes, and it looks like that will be the case, I think he could be a better own than Tony D. DeAngelo is not playing with a power house either and the bottom line is that Valimaki's numbers over the last 10 games are much better. Does the trend continue. I think there is a very good chance that it does.
    Crazy what few weeks and change of scenery can do at times… I agree to go with Valimaki

Dobber Sports All-Star

TDA is 27, prime years ahead. Has hit 50 points a season twice. Scores goals and gets PIM's. Philly isn't much of a team but 34 points in 58 games isn't bad for TDA. I believe he will flirt with 50 points again.

Valimaki is 24 and seems like he is finding his way through a lineup that gives him no competition yet. 5 career goals in 141 games so far.

Question was for the fantasy playoffs, I like TDA's body of work so I would go with him. Just my opinion though. I can see why others are pushing Val.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd probably roll with Valimaki here. Torts has publicly stated that DeAngelo needs work defensively. That's called high risk in my books. TDA has a higher upside than Vali, but he could also be in the press box. I feel like Vali is the safe bet here and I don't think he'll produce much less than TDA if TDA does indeed not get benched.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This is an incredibly difficult decision to make, but with Valimaki as one of the top D options on the waiver wire in a 20-team league, I feel like I better make up my mind soon. Can't seem to take the plunge - any other votes to tip the scales?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Valimaki is the safe choice, because DeAngelo's time in Philly has had TOI limitations in various forms, and he's a really bad defenseman. I'd much prefer Gostisbehere.

The Flyers have likely now realized that they don't have the talent to make the playoffs, and Torts can't cover that himself with scheme. I'd pick the one with the better schedule for your roster those weeks.

Voted Valimaki, due to a lack of trust of DeAngelo, but could be wrong.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank you everyone for the responses and thoughts, gave rep where possible.

The votes, signs and my gut are all pointing Valimaki so I decided to take the plunge and make the waiver grab. Valimaki plays an extra game during the fantasy playoffs and has a stronger schedule for the first two weeks, so that was one of the tie breakers I took into consideration. Kept checking every few hours to see if he was available, didn't want to let anymore time pass by.

Dobber Sports Superstar

getting a PP1 QB on the wire in a 20-man league, that was the right move. Valimaki also seems like he will be solid for blocks and since you're getting .5 each, a night like yesterday where had six plus the two assists is real nice.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good luck Felix.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank you for the luck and well measured response! Now let us hope a team outside of the playoff picture picks him up, so I don't have to face TDA H2H and bear the consequences if he goes off .

For reference I have locked up the first seed, so I can afford to make some safer decisions. Worst case scenario, I need a streamer spot for my team and the only players I could perceive dropping now are Valimaki or Beauvillier if one of them goes cold. Rest of the roster is rock solid.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Valimaki pickup looking pretty right now. Secured my trip to the Semis and he help solidify that. Funny that DeAngelo is still on the wire, most likely because of the suspension. If he is still there Monday and the Josi injury is longer-term may just swoop in and pick him back up. Thank you guys for helping me to confirm my gut and pick up Valimaki while he is spitting fire. Highly recommend in any league format right now if available!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Glad you made the right choice. DeAngelo's various forms of stupidity can show up at inopportune times. I anted to go through the TV at him for that dumb penalty, but it did have the upside that he got some time off, so the defense was far better the next game.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Valimaki, Arizona is playing some decent hockey and he has been feeling it!
    14 team dynasty league points only / H2H
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Goalies - Igor Shesterkin & Karel Vejmalka & Jeremy Swayman.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.