Thread: Pick swap trade offer advice

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Pick swap trade offer advice

I've been offered the first pick of the 3rd round (likely 21 overall) for my 2 4th round picks ( both likely after pick 35).

I'm leaning towards holding onto my picks because it's a bit of a crapshoot at that point and better to have more swings right?

I only have 3 picks in this draft when I started with 4.

Prospects are any skater playing less than 83 NHL games or goalie playing less than 42 games (including 2023 drafted players).
    10 team dynasty weekly H2H league no cap
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blks, FOW, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 Until, 2 G, 4 Bench, 1 NA, 5 IR+ (22 active roster spots)

C: Crosby, Hintz, Cozens (C/RW), Scheifele, Hischier
    LW: Draisaitl (C/LW), Forsberg, E Kane, Nelson (C/LW), Benn
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault (LW/RW), Tippett (LW/RW), Jarvis
    D: Seider, Hedman, Heiskanen, Chabot, Letang, Ekholm
    G: Saros, Thompson, Gustavsson
    NA: Levi

IR+: Landeskog, Hamilton

Prospects: Cutter Gauthier, Zellweger, Nemec

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Pick swap trade offer advice

Unless you are getting a top 15 pick, two picks are almost always better than one. This value can change while you are acquiring a pick that is currently on the clock but before the draft starts I would rather have two darts to throw than just one.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Unless you are getting a top 15 pick, two picks are almost always better than one. This value can change while you are acquiring a pick that is currently on the clock but before the draft starts I would rather have two darts to throw than just one.
    I generally agree with this, however that top 15 number stretches out a bit if there are leftover "prospects" worth having that weren't drafted and have come out of nowhere, but also aren't available to grab in FA due to whatever reason.

I'd think the 4th round picks should be after 40 in a 10 team league, but perhaps some teams won't draft that deep.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I can certainly see the argument for having two kicks at the dog rather than one. However, I'm inclined to have the highest pick possible to have the best shot at getting a kick at the dog I really want and consider to be the best player available at that point in the draft. It's a quality rather than a quantity kinda thing. Let's face it, in a Dynasty after the top prospects are gone, usually around 15, then the pickings are getting slimer and slimer.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I can certainly see the argument for having two kicks at the dog rather than one. However, I'm inclined to have the highest pick possible to have the best shot at getting a kick at the dog I really want and consider to be the best player available at that point in the draft. It's a quality rather than a quantity kinda thing. Let's face it, in a Dynasty after the top prospects are gone, usually around 15, then the pickings are getting slimer and slimer.
    exactly my thoughts..quality over quantity
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Recruit

I can definitely understand your perspective. Having the highest pick possible does give you a great shot at getting the best player available, and that's definitely an attractive option. But having two picks can also give you a chance to get two quality players instead of just one, and that can really increase your chances of having a great dynasty team. It's a tough decision, but it really comes down to what you think is best for your team and your strategy. Good luck with your draft!