Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Ekholm to Oilers for Barrie, 1st +

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: [TRADE] Ekholm to Oilers for Barrie, 1st +

I like the deal for Edmonton.

Bouchard was just dropped 2 days ago and is on waivers. Debating claiming him with #3 prio.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Sage

There's many worst things then Ceci on 2nd pairing.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

Man, I don't know what to think.

A year ago, if you told me the Oilers were swapping out Barrie for Ekholm and it wasn't costing them anyone on the roster or Broberg, then I'd have been ecstatic. He's what the shutdown D they need, improves the left side, Bouchard can step in for Barrie.

Now, well the trade did cost them Puljujarvi, indirectly. You don't get the money for Ekholm without moving Puljujarvi so that creates a hole. Maybe they fill it with another add, hopefully a right-shot faceoff guy. But a divorce was inevitable here so it doesn't kill me.

Ultimately, seems a steep price, but I think the team is better.

I have skepticism that the PP runs as smooth with Bouchard as it did with Barrie, but you can afford a little slippage there, plus opportunities for Nurse and Broberg to get a bit more run.

Pour one out for my fantasy investment in Barrie. I was able to snag Bouchard off waivers in one league, but in my cap keeper this will require a move.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    There's many worst things then Ceci on 2nd pairing.
    Well sure... Myers, Zaitzev... there's lots of options.

.. but it doesn't mean he should be a first or second pairing Dman.
    Can you really argue the Oilers are better with Ceci on their 2nd pair than their 3rd (concluding they acquire another Dman that puts Ceci on 3rd pair?)

he's always been a 3rd pair tweener that plays up when he has to.

But a him in a top 4 role goes a long way in explaining why the Oilers have given up 205 goals in 61 games.
    They need TWO top 4Dmen so he can slide into a role he's fitted for.

he was a top 4 liability in Ott, Tor, Pitt. I don't see how it's any different in Edm.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm happy today. This trade improves their defense and that's a glaring issue for Edmonton. That and Campbell.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm happy today. This trade improves their defense and that's a glaring issue for Edmonton. That and Campbell.
    This is where I've landed. Ekholm is a needed piece. There are other improvements, but this is No. 1. We've been talking about turning Barrie's salary slot into a shutdown defenseman and letting Bouchard take the reigns for years now. Took too much time and assets, but we got here.

Fingers crossed a shutdown defenseman can help build the structure that allows Campbell to find himself.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This is where I've landed. Ekholm is a needed piece. There are other improvements, but this is No. 1. We've been talking about turning Barrie's salary slot into a shutdown defenseman and letting Bouchard take the reigns for years now. Took too much time and assets, but we got here.

Fingers crossed a shutdown defenseman can help build the structure that allows Campbell to find himself.
    Exactly.

Screenshot_20230228_193840_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20230228_193813_Twitter.jpg

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Can you really argue the Oilers are better with Ceci on their 2nd pair than their 3rd (concluding they acquire another Dman that puts Ceci on 3rd pair?)
    You really asking me to argue Ceci being on 2nd pair is better than being on the 3rd pair if they acquire a better Dman?...

Ceci in (defensive) zone defence is good and above average at zone exits.
    Ceci plays ~46% of his TOI (Nurse 51%) against each team’s top forwards and defencemen. For comparison most top-pairing defencemen like Makar, Hedman etc, see their TOI% range around ~35-40%.

What I mean is EDM will have more pressing priorities to attend to.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

TBH, I don’t think the Oilers lose anything on the PP. He’s a complimentary piece not what drives it. If Bouchard, Nurse, or Ekholm replace Barrie and the PP significantly regresses than we should be questioning their NHL offensive viability.

Dobber Sports Stud

Nice deal for both teams. The oilers get someone who fills a big need and the preds get a really nice package for him
    I'm very curious how this impacts chychrun. With Edmonton and Boston addressing their needs on D and trading their first round picks, that's two possible teams off the list for him. LA has been the rumored destination forever. Who's left? Maybe Ottawa? Does this make Arizona a bit more desperate with less suitors? Maybe they waited too long to pull the trigger? Or maybe chychrun isn't dealt mid season now at all?

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

The Great One

LA just sent a 1st for Korpisalo I think.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    LA just sent a 1st for Korpisalo I think.
    And Gavrikov.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Nice deal for both teams. The oilers get someone who fills a big need and the preds get a really nice package for him
    I'm very curious how this impacts chychrun. With Edmonton and Boston addressing their needs on D and trading their first round picks, that's two possible teams off the list for him. LA has been the rumored destination forever. Who's left? Maybe Ottawa? Does this make Arizona a bit more desperate with less suitors? Maybe they waited too long to pull the trigger? Or maybe chychrun isn't dealt mid season now at all?
    They might be down to Columbus (assuming CBJ gets this 1st in the Gavrikov/Korpisalo deal), but even then the LA trade might tie up too much of CBJ's cap.

I don't think the Ponzi schemers have set an unreasonable price on Chychrun, but their seeming refusal to take back money is what has handcuffed them. And holding Chychrun out this long (with his injury history) has backfired and caused teams to question the player's health.

Chychrun is due a bonus on July 1st, and has a 10-team no-trade kick in so they'll feel pressure to make a move at the draft. Maybe they know there's a deal to be had with Ottawa (and their new ownership) by then so they are holding off and can feel comfortable doing so. I just get the sense that what is holding this up is the real dollars Arizona might have to spend and nothing to do with the assets or the cap, which if the case, why is the rest of the league carrying water for them?

Dobber Sports Titan

Holland finally gets creative (for him) to fix a problem. He did well. Come 2024 though, who knows how this D-core will be like.

I think the Preds did pretty well getting out on his contract, and lets not forget Ellis a couple yrs ago. They might have gone 2for2 in throwing the grenades' before they blow up.

Are the pairings going to be:
    Nurse-Ceci
    Kulak-Ekholm
    Broberg-Bouchard
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Holland finally gets creative (for him) to fix a problem. He did well. Come 2024 though, who knows how this D-core will be like.

I think the Preds did pretty well getting out on his contract, and lets not forget Ellis a couple yrs ago. They might have gone 2for2 in throwing the grenades' before they blow up.

Are the pairings going to be:
    Nurse-Ceci
    Kulak-Ekholm
    Broberg-Bouchard
    We'll find out today at their skate but I wont be surprised to see:

Nurse - Ceci
    Ekholm - Bouchard
    Kulak - Broberg/Desharnais

Hopefully this trade helps Nurse more than anyone. Bringing in Ekholm should help lighten the load they place on Nurse facing the tough competition.