Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 DobberBaseball League

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2023 DobberBaseball League

List sent to HR.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    List sent to HR.
    And I have PH's too.

Dobber Sports Deity

Good job drafting folks!

Good luck to all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Final pick!!!

Dobber Sports Immortal

The League has been "started". Enjoy staring at your lineup for 24 hours.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Waiver priority has also been updated to the REVERSE of the draft order.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Given our additional P spot with no increase in IP limits, my plan coming in was to avoid SP and go RP heavy. LOL good times.

Round 1 -Kyle Tucker (OF)
    I assumed I'd be deciding between Tucker, Freeman, Alvarez and Machado. I knew OF was very shallow and wanted to get some SB early on. Starting 4 OF made it a big priority.

Round 2 - Fernando Tatis (SS)
    I'm sure I'll regret this because he's pretty injury prone. But he's a top 3 player when healthy. Plus he'll pickup OF eligibity pretty quickly. More steals now means I don't have to worry much later.

Round 3 - Matt Olson (1B)
    Debated SP here since there were some great ones available. Solid player on a solid team that should rack up numbers. I feel like I said something similar about Marcell Ozuna last year lol

Round 4 - Jazz Chisholm (2B)
    It was between Albies or Jazz. May regret this one too. BUT...also should be OF eligible shortly.

Round 5 - Edwin Diaz (RP)
    The beginning of me really going in on RP. Elite K. Elite ratios. What could go wrong?

Round 6 - Shohei Ohtani (SP)
    I debated going Clase here. But I thought Ohtani was just a step above the remaining SP.

Round 7 - Gunnar Henderson (3B/SS)
    Had to lock down a 3B after Bregman went. The next one didn't go until Round 14!! So there was a major dropoff after Henderson. Hoping for a breakout #1.

Round 8 - Framber Valdez (SP)
    Stud and fits my build perfectly. Elite ratios and should have Wins. May have went Teoscar if EB didn't steal him.

Round 9 - Xander Bogaerts (SS)
    Surprised he lasted. Will be near the top of the best lineup he's played in.

Round 10 - Josh Hader (RP)
    At this point I had lost Diaz. Basically the last player I wanted to lose. But only 3 RP had gone so far so I decided to just go for it.
    Hoping last year's brief collapse was a mirage. SD should win over 100 games. More elite RP Ks.

Round 11 - Raisel Iglesias (RP)
    All in on RP I guess.

Round 12 - Chris Sale (SP)
    His last few injuries haven't been throwing ones, so hoping for a bounce back. Given my approach, very happy with him as my SP3.

Round 13- Anthony Santander (OF)
    Needed another OF and there weren't many left with power. I may have went another RP if Duran and Bautista didn't go before me.

Round 14 - Jordan Walker (3B)
    Is this too early? Who knows. It's around where I took Julio last year. He'll also gain OF eligibity so I'm really liking how my positional breakdown
    is working out.

Round 15 - Camilo Doval (RP)
    RP #3. Would have liked for it to be #4. Also kind of wish I went Sewald.

Round 16 - Miguel Vargas (1B)
    Starting 2B for the Dodgers so another multi eligible player.

Round 17 - Lars Nootbaar (OF)
    One more OF because I have to field 4 to start the year. Loved getting him here.

Round 18 - Jordan Montgomery (SP)
    I also really wanted Mikolas here and can't believe EB took another SP. I had Minter/Barlow lined up for the next round so I was sad to see them go.
    Wish I took Minter here.

Round 19 - Patrick Sandoval (SP)
    SP with upside.

Round 20 - James Karinchak (RP)
    RP with K upside and locked into 8th inning.

Round 21 - Alex Lange (RP)
    Risky. I wanted Robert Suarez. He went right before.

Round 22 - Willison Contreras (C)
    Figured I might as well take one. I thought there was going to be a run when senryu took Melendez as a second C a few rounds before. Very happy to get him
    literally days after Will Smith.

Round 23 - Matt Bush (SP/RP)
    SPRP who could be 8th inning guy for Milwaukee.

Round 24 - Anthony Volpe (SS)
    Didn't really want another breakout candidate but hearing he might make the team.

Round 25 - Jarred Kelenic (OF)
    Why not?

Round 26 - Reynaldo Lopez (RP)
    Is Kendall Graveman good?

So here it is....I also like that a lot of my team can just be recognized by their first name. But we'll see how it goes. I probably should have adjusted after losing Edwin

C: Contreras
    1B: Olson
    2B: Jazz (OF)
    3B: Gunnar (SS)
    SS: Xander
    OF: Fernando (SS), Kyle, Jarred, Lars
    UTIL: Vargas (1B/2B), Walker (3B/OF)
    BN: Volpe

SP: Shohei, Framber, Sale, Sandoval, Montgomery
    RP: Hader, Iglesias, Doval, Karinchak, Lange, Bush (SP), Reynaldo

Dobber Sports Titan

I went with a pit of a strategy of going with K arms as soft contact guys might not do well with the thought of guys on the bases more often. The stolen base rules will hurt pitchers who are ground ball guys so if you can get out of with strikes, I want you.

Round 1 (4): Trea Turner (PHI - SS)
    Trea Turner fell to me. I was debating between Ramirez and Turner, but went with Turner. If I realized how shallow 3B ended up being, I would have likely went Ramirez and drafted a different SS higher, but it’s Turner, I can’t be upset.
    Round 2 (17): Mike Trout (LAA - OF)
    Captain America. Guy has looked good. He’s a 40HR guy when hurt. He doesn’t run anymore, so that does suck.
    Round 3 (24): Gerrit Cole (NYY - SP)
    Cole fell to me. Early 2nd round guy in the 3rd round? Sure, I’ll take the safe 200ks and inning eater.
    Round 4 (37): Justin Verlander (NYM - SP)
    If I went Ramirez in the 1st, I would have gone Lindor here. But there was no one around this pick I liked. So, I took another sure pitcher. He won’t replicate last yr, but he is a pretty reliable guy.
    Round 5 (44): Jacob deGrom (TEX - SP)
    Took a chance here. I am always a sucker for the potential over the risk. If I can get him for 120IP, I’ll be happy cause he could get 180ks in that pretty safely.
    Round 6 (57): Carlos Rodón (NYY - SP)
    Huge mistake here. Totally forgot he had shoulder issues. I was debating on a few guys here. I like Cease, and I should have gone Cease instead of Rodon. Around this mark though, I noticed a lot of pitchers falling and flipped my thinking.
    Round 7 (64): Emmanuel Clase (CLE - RP)
    Clase fell, and I knew I could get another RP with my next pick. He’s locked in to the most saves this yr. Big numbers expected.
    Round 8 (77): Jordan Romano (TOR - RP)
    Bit of a fandom pick. But he fits my approach.
    Round 9 (84): Bryan Reynolds (PIT - OF)
    I needed another hitter. This was a range where a lot of SS ended up going, and I think there was better picks than Reynolds available, but I didn’t need them.
    Round 10 (97): Ryan Pressly (HOU - RP)
    Top team, top RP. What more could I ask for?
    Round 11 (104): Adley Rutschman (BAL - C)
    I went catcher too early. I was kinda looking around and didn’t see too many guys I liked besides Adley. I was debating on Iglesias (RP) here to lock more pitching down but thought he’d drop more. He went 5 picks later.
    Round 12 (117): Jake McCarthy (ARI - OF)
    Could be a nice all around player. He doesn’t strike out a lot. He has some power (not a lot), lots of speed, and with the new rules, he could really jump in SBs.
    Round 13 (124): Félix Bautista (BAL - RP)
    Elite arm, but young. Doesn’t have a track record to make me confident in he’ll bring the same stuff as last yr, but that’s why he’s a 13th round pick and not 8th.
    Round 14 (137): Christian Walker (ARI - 1B)
    I reached on him, but I needed a 1B and I saw a bunch go earlier that I wanted. But I did reach 2 rounds higher than I wanted.
    Round 15 (144): Jorge Polanco (MIN - 2B)
    I decided I’d go shotgun method at 2B and this was one of the guys I wanted. He was hurt a lot last yr, so if he gets me 25/75/75 I’ll be happy
    Round 16 (157): Jeremy Peña (HOU - SS)
    Honestly, don’t know why I picked him as he’s going to be my Util since I have Turner.
    Round 17 (164): Tyler Glasnow (TB - SP)
    He should be back kinda soon. Hopefully he’ll be back when deGrom gets hurt.
    Round 18 (177): Ty France (SEA - 1B,3B)
    He is a very boring player. But because how shallow 3B is, if he finds an increase in 1 category he’ll be a top 10 3B.
    Round 19 (184): Jonathan India (CIN - 2B)
    He was a high pick last yr, can he bounce back?
    Round 20 (197): Anthony Rendon (LAA - 3B)
    Was he bad or just not healthy? I think he was bad, but who knows
    Round 21 (204): Alex Verdugo (BOS - OF)
    Does he finally breakout?
    Round 22 (217): Brandon Lowe (TB - 2B)
    He was dropping, so I figured between him, India and Polanco, one should emerge as a starter for me
    Round 23 (224): Cody Bellinger (CHC - OF)
    Low risk, High reward.
    Round 24 (237): Josh Bell (CLE - 1B)
    He always goes late, but ends up with decent numbers. I think he’s not great at anything but if he finds power, RBIs, avg anything he could be huge value.
    Round 25 (244): Merrill Kelly (ARI - SP)
    Was hoping to see something good at the WBC, but didn’t.
    Round 26 (257): Liam Hendriks (CWS - RP)
    He’s throwing already. Long toss though. But he could be back in May.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Round 1 (3) Aaron Judge (NYY-OF) - This is not how I expect the top three to go. I expected Turner and Judge to be the top two picks and I would be choosing Ramirez at #3 because of the position scarcity at 3rd. With neither Turner or Judge being drafted, I had to debate between all four players. With this being a 6 category offensive league I had to go with Judge. He nails the counting categories.

Round 2 (18)- Rafael Devers (BOS-3B ) I was watching closely on Trout… if he made it back to me I was definitely starting my outfield with Judge and Trout. However he went right before my pick. My original strategy involved getting my 3B out of the way in the first round because I figured I would not have a chance at any of the next tier of 3B. However Riley and Devers are still available, I decide to go with the safer average player and not the homer pick. Its all about Devers-ification!!

Round 3 (23) – Michael Harris II (ATL -OF) – Remember when I said in my introduction that I was more willing to take risks this year.. well here is the first risk. He had a great rookie campaign, and has the potential for 25-25! Let’s hope he gets somewhere close to that! Following the Tiers drafting system he was one of a couple ‘Elite’ tier guys left for Outfield.

Round 4 (38) – Francisco Lindor (NYM – SS) – After taking a risk in the previous pick – I decide to play it safer with my next pick and go with the last ‘Elite’ SS on my tier system. Playing on a offensive team that should get lots of runs, I like the safety net for Lindor to perform across the categories.

Round 5 (43) – Luis Robert (CWS – OF) – Back to taking some more risk, with huge upside if he can stay healthy! Another ‘Elite’ tier OF that could be a 6 category producer if he plays like his prospect value was and his first stint in the MLB. The sky is the limit hear.

After 5 – I have no pitchers – this was all part of my strategy going in. Stock up on some bats, make sure to fill at least one of the 3B or 2B position because they are so shallow. And stock up on some OF, because the position drops of the cliff after the top 15 or so. Being happy my top 5 batters I start to look at pitchers available – Rodon, Cease, Fried, Castillo, Gausman, Darvish, Gallen – there are lots of decent options to be my Ace

Round 6 (58) – Max Fried (ATL – SP) – Rodon goes right before me, which is good cause I didn’t want to make the decision of adding him if he is out for a month, especially with our shortened fantasy season. So I decide to take the safe floor option of my remaining pitchers in Fried. I am hoping that Cease or Castillo make it back to my next pick.

Round 7 (63) – Christian Javier (HOU – SP,RP) – So Cease and Castillo both get drafted in the 4 picks between mine. So I re-route and decide to take a pitcher from the next tier. Javier is RP eligible, so to get his starting pitcher stats from a RP slot I think is worth it. And he plays on one of the teams that should get a lot of wins this year.

Round 8 (78) – Jose Abreu (HOU – 1B ) – I debated long and hard between the young 1B and the old 1B – I decided I would go with the old guy who is playing in a stacked lineup. RBIs should be plentiful in Houston for Abreu, and I hope he can maintain his batting average and OPS.

Round 9 (83) – Robbie Ray (SEA – SP) – Looking for a steady pitcher contributor. Went with former Cy Young Winner and he plays for a good team that should get wins

Round 10 (98) – Wander Franco (TB – SS) – The kid got paid… by a team that doesn’t spend money ever. So Tampa must really like this kid. Another high ceiling pick that I am good with in hoping that a couple of these picks hit their ceiling.

After 10 – I add two more batters and add my first three pitchers. I am happy with getting Fried, Javier and Ray in this range of picks. Non of them are 260 strikeout guys, but they all play on teams that will get them wins and they all should maintain decent peripherals. My plan going forward is to alternate pitchers and hitters then next few rounds to round out my core.

Round 11 (103) Kyle Wright ATL (SP) – My strategy for pitchers is to get a bunch of pitchers on good teams that should win games. Adding an Atlanta Braves pitcher suits that very well. I doubt he repeats as the most winning pitcher but even getting 12 wins from him at pick 103 suits me just fine!

Round 12 (118) Kris Bryant (COL -OF) – Buying Bryant at pick 118 excited me. He plays half of his games in a hitter friendly park. Sure he doesn’t produce like a top 3 overall pick anymore. But he has periods of great productivity. As long as he is healthy for fantasy playoffs.. Let’s Go!!

Round 13 (123) Lucas Giolito (CWS -SP) – My first pitcher that isn’t on a 90 win team! Unless the Whit Sox are just one year behind expectation and they get there this year. I am buying in on a lot of wins for the CWS and Giolito should get double digit wins for them.

Round 14 (138) Luis Garcia(HOU -SP) – Another Houston pitcher…lots of wins. Sure I am sacrificing strikeouts with my pitcher picks… but if I get enough quantity of pitchers that win and maintain good peripherals… I can stream strikeouts from my last pitcher spot and not have to worry about ERA.

Round 15 (143) Logan Gilbert (SEA -SP) – Another pitcher on a good team that will win. I feel like a broken record here. And Gilbert is young so he can even take a step forward this year and increase his strikeouts… maybe!

After 15 – The last fiver round see me add four starting pitchers and 1 OF. At this point I love how my team is shaping up. I feel like I added 50 wins in this section of the draft from those four pitchers and didn’t add any that are outrageously bad on ERA or WHIP.

Round 16 (158) Kodai Senga (NYM – SP) A bit of an unknown as he is coming over from Japan. But he is pitching on the potential 100 win Mets… and from what I have read he is not the ‘sexy’ pitcher getting a tone of strikeouts, but the controlled pitcher than should fit right in with my strategy for pitchers.

Round 17 (163) Tony Gonsolin (LAD -SP) What was this kid before his injury last year? 16-1with a 2.10 ERA and .86 WHIP??? Okay..he is injured to start the year… but he should be back for the playoffs for sure. Not to mention, he plays for the Dodgers… I should have picked him four rounds ago.

Round 18 Ketel Marte (ARI -2B ) With only two teams left to pick a 2B I was totally prepared to pick Marte or McNeil later than this pick. But with the Altuve news coming out, I figured I better fill in the 2B now. I have read some reports that there is signs of a bounceback… hopefully they are right! If not hopefully he maintains his average and I can add some power later!

Round 19 Jose Berrios (TOR -SP) I was going to pick Jon or Sonny Gray here – I had sent a list to hockeyrobot with these two players. But I changed by mind. I figured I would take a chance on him returning to form. And with my conservative approach on ERA from pitchers, I could afford to take the chance… oh yeah… and he also pitchers for a team that should win over 90 games!

Round 20 Sonny Gray (MIN – SP) I debated Jon and Sonny again here. I went with the older guy who I think will pitch for more wins on a bit better of a team in Minneosta.

Round 21 Lance McCullers (HOU -SP) – Another pitcher on the best team in baseball… sure he is injured to start the year… and has an injury history. But in round 21 – its worth the risk to hopefully have a healthy Houston SP for playoffs.

Round 22 Ross Stripling (SF – SP/RP) – If you haven’t figured out my 0RP strategy by now… well I guess I will let you know… I am going full 0RP! Stripling is not a sexy option… but he will get me starts from the RP position and he maintains a good ERA. He won’t get me strikeouts or wins at a large level… but at this point I don’t need them.

Round 23 Sean Murphy (ATL – C) I was waiting for the Contreras’ to go so that I could make this pick. Murphy splits at home and away last years were wide. Like OPS of .660 at home at .860 away. So moving away from Oakland should be huge! Not to mention he plays for a stacked Atlanta lineup and the manager has mentioned that they said Murphy will DH when he is not catching. I could not make this pick before Wilson Contreras was picked… and hockey robot got amazing value with that pick… also making a move to a better team in St. Louis!

Round 24 David Peterson (NYM – SP/RP) – A RP eligible pitcher that is pitching well this spring as a starter

Round 25 Eugenio Suarez (SEA -3B ) I felt like I needed some more home runs…

Conclusion

Batting – I love my early batters. Lots of coverage across the board… home runs and steals are two categories I usually forego while focusing on average and OPS and runs. But I got a good combination of home runs and steals early.
    Pitching – I love the pitching depth that I was able to attain in the middle of the draft. Most of my pitchers are not sexy options with huge strikeout totals.. but they all play on teams that will win a lot… my pitchers (with expected win total in brackets):

Houston – 3 (98)
    Atlanta – 2 (96)
    NYM – 2 (98)
    LAD – 1 (97)
    Sea – 2 (91)

That’s 10 pitchers from teams that are being projected to win over 90 games.

Team:

C- Sean Murphy
    1B - Jose Abreau
    2B - Ketel Marte
    3B - Rafael Devers
    SS - Francisco Lindor
    OF - Aaron Judge
    OF - Michael Harris II
    OF - Luis Robert
    OF - Kris Bryant
    Util - Wander Franco
    Util - Eugenio Suares

BN - Joey Meneses

SP - Max Fried
    SP - Robbie Ray
    RP - Christian Javier
    RP - Ross Stripling
    P - Kyle Wright
    P - Lucas Giolito
    P - Luis Garcia
    P - Logan Gilber
    P - Kodai Senga

BN - Tony Gonsolin, Jose Berrios, Sonny Gray, Lance McCullers Jr, David Peterson
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Usually in the baseball draft I'll fill out my position spots first, especially in the IF, and then balance SP and RP after that. Hasn't worked all that well yet, but I haven't found I've had an issue with RP in spite of that in the past, so this time I wanted to focus on IF and SP, and then go for OF, before just filling my RP with whatever was left. In the end I wanted to have a full batter lineup but no bench batters, my P slots all filled with RPs, and my BN slots filled with starters. Being on the turn and not being able to catch runs I needed to get the shallow positions earlier.

Round 1/2 - Freddie Freeman/Manny Machado
    There wasn't a 2B in range here, and I saw 1B and 3B as the next two shallowest positions. Didn't have to reach to fill them either which was nice.

Round 3/4 - Julio Urias/Aaron Nola
    Debated a 2B here, but I thought maybe one would fall to my next few rounds of picks and wanted to get in on the SP early. Strider was the other SP I considered, but didn't want to deal with any possible innings limits.

Round 5/6 - Shane Bieber/Alek Manoah
    Lots of SPs flying, and no sure-thing 2Bs in this range. Took what I saw as the two top guys with also the least risk available.

Round 7/8 - Teoscar Hernandez/Clayton Kershaw
    Didn't want to fall too far behind on HRs, as that can be tough to find later without sacrificing a lot of other categories. Took one OF, knowing I would wait a few more rounds for another. Added another pitcher who has a ton of upside, and if he's not on, then he's over on the IL and I can replace him with a FA anyways.
    Would have strongly considered Gunnar if he hadn't been picked the slot right before me here.

Round 9/10 - Tim Anderson/Tommy Edman
    Figured I had to jump in on a 2B now, and the SSs were also starting to thin out. A lot more went between this set of picks and my next set, so I'm glad I jumped here. Not the sexiest set of names, but fair value close to pick 100.

Round 11/12 - Nick Castellanos/J.D. Martinez
    One OF and one UTIL. Safer cross category coverage with Nick, and the upside middle-of-the-Dodgers-lineup play with JD. Rounds out my power hitters pretty nicely, and with my five SPs already I wasn't worried about going 50 picks between pitchers.

Round 13/14 - Logan Webb/Blake Snell
    More pitching depth, as I wasn't ready to jump in on the RPs that all look the same at this point, and didn't feel like the drop off in the OF was as big at this point either.

Round 15/16 - Whit Merrifield/Mitch Hannigar
    Adding two very different players here, and the extra 2B eligibility on Whit is nice. Hopefully they both play regularly. That leaves just one UTIL spot to fill later, plus C which I may or may not pick depending on the year, and a bunch of RPs to fill all my seven slots I can fit them in.

Round 17/18 - Alejandro Kirk/Miles Mikolas
    Decided Kirk was worth a catcher slot because he plays regularly enough and doesn't kill the AVG column either. Mikolas looked like the next best SP, and all the RPs still look the same.

Round 19/20 - David Robertson/Adam Ottavino
    Think I have the back of the Mets Bullpen now that Diaz is out. Could backfire because it's the Mets, but having a bit of an all-or-nothing in the Svs column is fine.

Round 21/22 - Jose Leclerc/Will Smith
    Sticking with the all-or-nothing approach because it works on the turn to lock down an closing pair, and now have the TEX set too. Hopefully they win a few more than they lose, but a lot of their wins should be close ones too.

Round 23/24 - Josh Jung/Brusdar Graterol
    Swinging for the fences literally with Jung. Wanted a boom or bust pick to round out my UTIL spot early, and 3B is also fairly shallow too, so the positional security is nice.
    Graterol may be the LAD closer, and that was tough to pass up on him bouncing onto my radar at this point.

Round 25/26 - Colin Poche/Brad Boxberger
    Debated a CHC stack too, but couldn't pass on Poche who had a ton of S/H last year too and should be in line for more of the same this year.
    Had been eyeing Suarez for multiple rounds, but just never pulled the trigger.

Didn't really do much research so I didn't end up feeling like I had been swiped very often. Made me feel good about the draft since the positional needs fell into place pretty well too. Hopefully it's good enough to squeeze into the top-six.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Holy recaps Batman

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Holy recaps Batman
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

For those who don't know my name, I've switched the team name from 2014OG to "Tina Turn-er the Clocks Ahead" and I don't have space to put in "(2014OG)" so deal with it because I love the joke and Community.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Wasn't planning on a recap, but need a break at work and a bunch of others came out, so I'll throw one out there.

Didn't do a load of research coming into this but I had a strong showing last year so I figured I'd follow the same approach. Grabbed a similar list as I used last year that ranks by auction values and made a few modifications to better fit our league.

From the past I've found SP and OF tend to the be the shallowest positions based on how many guys we started, but with the league down to 10 teams this year, I figured that would let up a bit. So I went into the draft figuring I'd wait on SP and OF while filling the other positions first.

Historically I've found RP to be the least important. Because we count SV+H, there are plenty of solid options available late. 3B and 2B looked to be the two positions that would get really shallow really quick, other than C, which if you don't luck into one of the top few at a reasonable price it makes more sense just to punt.

Stats wise I targeted HR with my hitters as they contribute across the board and punted SB as you don't get much more than 1 category out of those. Pitching wise I targeted K's as they are generally reliable and are a decent predictor of success in pitching. Figured the other pitching cats would figure themselves out from there.

Similar to EB the plan was to have the starting positions filled early, RP and P slots filled out with RPs, so 7 of them, and the bench mostly compiled of SP, maybe one hitter.

Round 1(8) - Vladimir Guerrero Jr. - 1B
    Was targeting Vlad here as my list had him ranked in the 3/4 range and knew he was dropping in Yahoo! drafts, so this went as expected.

Round 2(13) - Bo Bichette - SS
    I had Tucker, Freeman, Machado and Tatis all queued up here figuring one would make it back to me, but none did. Bo was the next highest on my list, and being a Jay kind of solidified it, so not planned but not unhappy with it.

Round 3(28) - Marcus Semien - 2B,SS
    Was targeting Altuve or Arenado here who both went just before this pick. Dodged a bullet with the Altuve injury in hindsight, but really would have liked Arenado. Had to swerve again and wanted a 2B or 3B and there were no 3B in sight on my list so went with Semien. I'm not overly optimistic with him, but hope he can continue to produce.

Round 4(33) - Spencer Strider - SP,RP
    Top pitchers were starting to go. Strider was not someone I was targeting as he's young and not quite proven, but the K's are right and he was quite a bit higher on my list than what was left, so I trusted the list.

Round 5(48) - George Springer - OF
    Again, I had a couple of pitchers (Verlander/Scherzer) targeted here as well as a couple of OF (Arozarena/Robert Jr./Schwarber/Jimenez) all of which went before this pick. Springer was the best of what was left, so once again not a target as I've owned him the past 2 years I think and know he's oft injured, but didn't like my other options, so I added him to complete my Blue Jays Trinity.

Round 6(53) - Alex Bregman - 3B
    3B was getting really thin. I had a decent gap between Arenado and Bregman, with a further gap after Bregman, so I figured I'd reach a bit instead of ending up with someone I would really not be happy with. Glad how it turned out.

Round 7(68) - Triston MacKenzie - SP
    Pitchers really started to fly at this point and having my IF lined up with one OF in tow I figured I better get on board. MacKenzie was next highest on the list and provided the K's I wanted so I made the pick.

Round 8(73) - Hunter Greene - SP
    A third pitcher, albeit another young one. Again, not a guy I was super happy about, but he was ranked high on the list with lots of K's, so I trusted the list.

Round 9(88) - Tyler O'Neill - OF
    Round 10(93) - Christian Yelich - OF
    Wanted to round out my OF which would leave one more OF slot, two UTI slots and the C slot for my hitters which I could look for guys that fell to grab some good value to fill those slots. O'Neill and Yelich were next highest so they're who I went with.

Round 11(108) - Brandon Pfaadt - SP
    Round 12(113) - Nick Lodolo - SP
    Back to Pitching. Again, I think these are two younger guys that were highly ranked on the list I was using. I trusted the list and made the picks. I started to realize after that this guy may be overvaluing youth and got a little worried. Seems that Pfaadt may not have even made the team, so may be a wasted pick. Thankfully we have an NA slot that can be utilized, but still, wasn't happy with that. Should have checked Yahoo more frequently for status updates.

Round 13(128) - Pete Fairbanks - RP
    About 12 or 13 RPs had been taken at this point and I wanted a guy relatively high on my list so I took Fairbanks who resided at 9. Was targeting Duran who was 3rd, but Axe got to him just before me. Was a little disappointed but didn't want to take him any earlier.

Round 14(133) - CJ Cron - 1B
    Round 15(148) - Seiya Suzuki - OF
    I saw a lot of SPs and RPs I'd be happy with still available at this point, but noticed the hitters were really starting to thin out, especially power guys, so I took Cron who fell a bit according to my list, and followed it up with Suzuki to finish off my OF slot. Didn't realize he was battling injuries (should have checked Yahoo again), so I may have swerved here if I had known that.

Round 16(153) - Charlie Morton - SP
    Back to pitching as Morton was rated high on my list and sliding, so happy to get him here.

Round 17(168) - Ryan Mountcastle - 1B
    Mountcastle was one of the higher ranked power hitters on the list left. There were a couple guys rated higher with more SB, but I don't find that category is all that useful in this league, so took the power.

Round 18(173) - AJ Minter - RP
    Round 19(188) - Giovanny Gallegos - RP
    Was pretty happy with my hitters and SP at this point, so began to shift fully to RP. Still lots of guys rated highly on my SV+H list, so feel like I was getting really good value here so late in the draft.

Round 20(193) - Andrew Heaney - SP
    It was here I realized Pfaadt may not be on the opening day roster and that I might need another SP, so I took the highest guy on my list in Heaney. Don't love it, but it is what it is.

Round 21(208) - Robert Suarez - RP
    Round 22(213) - Alex Vesia - RP
    Again, filling out the RP slot. At this point I've been able to nab 5 guys within my top 20 which is great considering 38 RPs had been taken up to this point.

Round 23(228) - Colin McHugh - RP
    Round 24(233) - Trevor Rogers - SP
    Two more RPs to round out my RP and P slots. Tervor Rogers is listed as an SP for some reason, so we'll see how that works out, but I'm planning on him being an RP, which would give me some SP,RP flexibility which is nice to have.

Round 25(248) - Keibert Ruiz - C
    Second last pick, 11 C already gone. I considered not taking one at all until FA, but Ruiz was a guy I read had some upside as a late late C pick, so figured I'd go for it. Was also thinking Cobb, but Axeman got me again.

Round 26(253) - Andrew Painter - SP
    Painter was a guy rated highly on my list (once again, another high K young guy) and I wasn't clear on why he was dropping. Checked Yahoo and it looked ok, so I made the pick. Dug deeper and found it's likely he's going to need Tommy John at some point, so likely a wasted pick. At least it's the last one.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how my team panned out. My hitters look strong and should put up good power numbers. I like my RP value with where I got it that allowed me to target better hitters. We'll see how that works out as RP tends to be a crapshoot anyways with injuries and such. A couple of spots where there's some injuries I wish I was more aware of, but I should be able to make due.

I don't love my SP arsenal as I think I may be hinging too much on young high upside plays. I wish I had noticed that earlier when looking at the list and I may have made a couple of picks differently.

My team lacks versatility I think with many single position eligible players, and two 1B at my UTI slots. I was aware of this, but went for it anyways. I will have to pick from the FA crop if I am hit by injuries.

We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to the season all!

Dobber Sports Immortal

^^^don't lie Kofax. You based your picks solely on it they are or have been Blue Jays.