Thread: Going to a Senators hockey game

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Going to a Senators hockey game

I am looking at potentially going to Ottawa for a trip for the wifes birthday. While there, we are looking at taking in a Senators game.

Anyone got any recommendations on lodging? Is it better to stay in downtown Ottawa and take public transit to the hockey game or is it better to stay closer to the arena? Is there even public transit from downtown Ottawa to the Scotiabank arena?

We really don't have any other plans for our trip as this is just something preliminary as far as planning goes although I would find it interesting to tour the Parliament House and things like that.

Any recommendations from locals or others who have done a similar trip to Ottawa?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Going to a Senators hockey game

It has been a while since I spent significant time in the west end but my gut says it would be more enjoyable to be downtown closer to other areas of interest and use public transit to get to the game as opposed to driving into downtown for everything else you would like to do. Transit to the game is not bad, there are buses that go to and from the game from fairly convenient spots in the city, there are also shuttles that run from certain bars.

note: I no longer live in the city and just drive to games so my intel is probably 4 years outdated.

Dobber Sports Master

fairfield inn is 1.2 km's from arena so definately walkable before and after the event for healthy folks and has reasonable rates

we usually stay at holiday inn suites which is 2.4 km's from arena .

unless I'm reading it wrong it looks like theres now a microtel(by wydham) 500 meters from the arena since I've been there last (2013 for mccartney concert)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Your best bet is staying in the core and taking public transit or an Uber to the game. I think an Uber one way was around $35?

Dobber Sports Stud

Agree that if the trip is about more than the hockey game then staying downtown is the better option. Ottawa is a very walkable city - lots of restaurants/pubs, museums and galleries and other things to do, especially in the area east of the canal (west of the canal has some stuff but more dedicated to office buildings, although some good hotels). Last I heard the canal was not frozen so if ice skating and a beaver tail is in the plans I would check for updates!

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd recommend staying downtown too. There is much more to do and you will likely be spending the majority of your time downtown anyways for the sites, restaurants, activities, etc. The arena is in the suburbs so if you stay out there it will only be for convenience of the one Sens game.

Can confirm they have dedicated buses still from points downtown directly to and from the game. Uber/cab is good too.

Also can confirm the canal is likely not opening this year which will be disappointing, best thing about Ottawa in February for sure. Centre block is also under renovation so they aren't offering tours inside either, but I believe you can tour the building where Parliament currently sits if you're interested.

It's been mild this year but dress warm!
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Veteran

I too have to attend Ottawa soon (Czech Embassy) and would be happy to take in a Sens game to make it more worthwhile. Thanks all with advice, you are doing double duty.