Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [EXTENDED] Bo Horvat 8 years at $8.5 with NYI

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: [EXTENDED] Bo Horvat 8 years at $8.5 with NYI

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Or he’s just abnormally lucky this single season and never repeats it.
    I don't know- he had 31 goals in 70 games last year. The way players tip and redirect shots fascinates me and it is a question I would definitely ask a pro player if I ever had the chance. How much control do they actually have when they deflect the puck? Is it mostly luck? How much do they practice it and how much better are some players at it than others? I know over the last 2 seasons, Horvat has scored a number of goals on redirects. I'm curious to see if it continues.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ouch, well happy for Bo! Hope he lives up to it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I don't know- he had 31 goals in 70 games last year. The way players tip and redirect shots fascinates me and it is a question I would definitely ask a pro player if I ever had the chance. How much control do they actually have when they deflect the puck? Is it mostly luck? How much do they practice it and how much better are some players at it than others? I know over the last 2 seasons, Horvat has scored a number of goals on redirects. I'm curious to see if it continues.
    Last season Horvat had 2 deflection goals. The year before he had 1. This year he has 12. This is the only season he’s had a significant number. I’m not saying it’s not a skill he can/did add to his arsenal. I’m just saying it’s one he’s never shown previously and is the main driver of his increased scoring. He’s a 30 goal, 60 point player if he’s not getting 15-20 deflection goals a season. Pavelski, for example, has demonstrated the skill his entire career.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Last season Horvat had 2 deflection goals. The year before he had 1. This year he has 12. This is the only season he’s had a significant number. I’m not saying it’s not a skill he can/did add to his arsenal. I’m just saying it’s one he’s never shown previously and is the main driver of his increased scoring. He’s a 30 goal, 60 point player if he’s not getting 15-20 deflection goals a season. Pavelski, for example, has demonstrated the skill his entire career.
    Here is good article attributing Bo's O output to working with Adam Oates this past offseason:
    https://theathletic.com/4029945/2022...er-adam-oates/
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Master

I'm not sure anyone else could top that offer in the offseason .

I wouldnt be surprised if ledecky and malkin told Lou to get this done asap instead of milking it down to a lesser term

Dobber Sports Titan

This is a terrible deal lol. Great for Bo though.

Lou literally said it's too long and too much...The team has 7 forwards making over $5m, 5 of them are 30yrs old +, and they aren't an offensive team...The team has no prospects coming in behind the aging players. They have a big contract coming up in 2024 when Sorokin is a UFA, his money likely comes from Bailey leaving, but who fills Baileys production?

Lou is just legit signing deals to keep guys he likes, knowing he won't deal with the fallout in 2yrs. He's going to be 81yrs old when he starts the season. This teams outlook in 2yrs is going to be interesting.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

Good for Bo
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Stud

A bit surprised. I think that's the going rate for his skill set, but the term is crazy IMO. I get not wanting to lose and not make that kind of money. Get out of Van.. To keep losing and and make that money, go to NYI. Bet on yourself and opt for FA, seemed like a good bet. Good on him. I'm sure I wouldn't turn down the money.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

Lou literally said it's too long and too much...The team has 7 forwards making over $5m, 5 of them are 30yrs old +, and they aren't an offensive team...The team has no prospects coming in behind the aging players. They have a big contract coming up in 2024 when Sorokin is a UFA, his money likely comes from Bailey leaving, but who fills Baileys production?

Lou is just legit signing deals to keep guys he likes, knowing he won't deal with the fallout in 2yrs. He's going to be 81yrs old when he starts the season. This teams outlook in 2yrs is going to be interesting.
    I guess at that point we'll see the ol' scorched earth rebuild

Dobber Sports Star

Can never blame a player for taking the bag when offered. Long Island is pretty nice all things considered
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

The problem is that the Islanders gave Lou a contract which was too long and too much, then he signs plugs to crazy contracts. Horvat's deal isn't among the worst Lou has given out. I'd rather have a top end center that allows your scorer who sucks at faceoffs to move to wing at 8.5M over a bottom six guy making 3M-5M.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    The problem is that the Islanders gave Lou a contract which was too long and too much, then he signs plugs to crazy contracts. Horvat's deal isn't among the worst Lou has given out. I'd rather have a top end center that allows your scorer who sucks at faceoffs to move to wing at 8.5M over a bottom six guy making 3M-5M.
    Or a Russian winger who retires early and walks away with 12 years remaining on his contract LOL!

Talk about too long and too much money!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The craziest thing about this deal, for me - is that Lou Lam is 80.
    He's 80 years old.
    Which means... when & if Horvat completes this deal, Lou Lam will be 88... wherever.

So 8x$8.5m while the GM goes from 80 to 88. Cr8zy.

It's $68m for Horvat. At the end of the day (it was offered), he had to sit down and say "This is money that sets my family and their families and their families... for life."
    So... you do that. A bit different from some superstars that come off a huge contract at 28. This one IS Horvat's windfall.
    [I had predicted that Horvat would settle his family near his wife's family... but I'd bet - at this guaranteed price - even she was on board with wherever. I didn't think the Isles would offer it. I thought it was just a "run" and a "risk".)

Everybody's right - too much, too long.
    But... thing is... if NYI doesn't do something different, they just sit in mediocrity in the East forever.
    It's a good team... they *could* make a run.
    The last couple teams set-up big: TB & COL are all now starving for depth with their high-end cap players, so those teams are falling.
    BOS is in their final run, probably.

PIT (Crosby, Malkin) and WAS (Ovechkin, Carlson, Kuz, Backstrom) are aging.
    NYR isn't rising like people thought.
    The West is completely up for grabs. (COL ain't all that without a bonafide C2)

The entire NHL is up for grabs.
    So... it's a great time to gamble/overpay a very good player.

It's just crazy that an 80-year old is doing it.
    Nothing to lose at that age.

I'm a Horvat fan... and a fan of teams that try... so I'll be pulling for the Isles.
    Probably my team to root-for in the East - with that line-up.

DAL-NYI and I'd be a happy camper for a Stanley Cup.