Thread: Blue Line Strategy & Targets - Will REP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Blue Line Strategy & Targets - Will REP

Good morning all!

I wasn't sure where to post this as it is more of a strategy question but also looking for opinions on specific players as well.

My league information is in my signature but a recap would be a 14 team H2H redraft league with player stats being G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, HIT. Starting roster is 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G.

The majority of the year I have only run 2 goalies and carried 4 forwards on my bench. I am a little over seeing players with games stuck on my bench due to heavy schedule days. Wondering everyone's thoughts/opinions/personal strategies on how you would or do use your bench spots if in a league such as mine...

I have recently added a third goalie but am considering the idea of having a bench of 2F, 1D, 1G as having a 5th d-man would add, I'd assume, 1-3 games per week to my team total as that guy would play his 2-4 games and the odds of a forward sitting on the bench would drop considerably. Would you consider or promote carrying a 5th defender? Or would you rather have the ability to select the best match ups and have that extra forward, even if it means losing a few starts each week?

In a 14-team league the defenders available are not top notch but with the trade deadline looming and some coming back from injuries there are some potentially good options.

So my next question would be if you are someone who would rather have the 5th defender would any of these guys appeal to you knowing you'd have to drop someone like, I'll use my team for the example, Boeser, Compher, or Wilson...

Manson - should soon be back from injury and was off to a solid start to the season, good for cats.
    Klingberg - if(when) traded could provide some offensive upside depending on the team and role he is given but has shown he can put up points.
    Dumba - maybe a change of scenery can spark him.
    Giordano - Leaf injuries he's doing well lately 6 points in last 8 games.
    Slavin & Pesce - good situation in CAR but nothing really jumps out peripheral wise.
    Zadorov - same as Manson fills lots of cats.
    Durzi - solid cat coverage.
    Girard - on a bit of a hot streak but with Byram and Manson due back soon his opportunity share may drop.
    Grzelcyk - BOS topline so should fall into points and good +/- but cat coverage is meh.
    Boqvist - If he can stay healthy (obviously a big if) has shown massive offensive upside especially with Werenski done.

If you were to add a defender who would they be and why and who would you drop? Or your top 2-3 guys you would consider or be keeping an eye on.

I am sure I am overlooking defenders who have upside potential and aren't highly rostered.

As always I appreciate all input and will rep when and where I can!
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Blue Line Strategy & Targets - Will REP

I might drop Compher for Durzi.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Blue Line Strategy & Targets - Will REP

in any league IMO no matter the format of how you deploy, you always need a spare(s) at said positions. My redraft league starts 6 D and I for the most part always have 7. Compher can be dumped for Boqvist as he is producing when he's in. If he gets hurt then you have yourself a handy streamer spot and let er rip. If you have an ability to keep an open stream spot it helps you maximize games played. Not everyone has to be cemented into your roster.