Thread: central air unit theft

Dobber Sports Master

Default central air unit theft

judging by the amount of theft I noted while reading some articles and YT videos I'm not surprised this has come to my small city in Canada

here we are in the middle of the winter and I strongly believe someone just scouted my central air unit for potential future theft.

There's a snowmobile trail 30 feet behind my house with pristine untouched snow usually between everyones back area of the house to the trail.

we do not have much snow this year in northern Ontario so the boot prints from the snowmobile trail to the back of the house where the unit is located might be 1.5 feet deep.

hopefully we get a 3 foot blizzard so this thief is thwarted until I can buy a cage in the spring .I'll buy an extra ring cam unit to face the unit in the meantime

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: central air unit theft

Wow. AC thefts? I guess I'm not being too paranoid with getting a catalytic converter shield for my truck.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

That's a new one. We are having a rash of catalytic converter thefts here on LI. In and out in less than a minute. Thankfully we've avoided it.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

Copper wire is big in hamilton, but the newest theft is tools. If a crack head is selling me snapon tools tho...might have to back burner my morals
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

I bought a ring cam and pointed it right at the unit so no worries at the moment

Dobber Sports Wizard

i really dont understand why someone who owns snowmobile would steal AC unit to sell parts for $50-100. Amount of copper in these units is not worth the hustle...are you sure they were scouting the unit not your house? do you have a backyard door close to the unit?
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I don't understand why someone who owns a snowmobile would steal AC units to sell parts for $50-100. The amount of copper in these units is not worth the hustle...are you sure they were scouting the unit not your house? do you have a backyard door close to the unit?
    yeah who knows, there is a master bedroom window that is 4 feet further from the a/c unit below but its really high compared to other windows in the house .

when looking at the footprints it was like a big triangle. my guess is 1 guy stayed on the snowmachine and let the other guy off to inspect the unit. the inspector guy came in at an angle to avoid detection if someone looked out the master bedroom window. The snowmachine guy moves ahead 30 feet to also avoid detection and when the inspector guy was done he walked back towards the snowmachine at an angle towards the snowmachine that is now waiting for him around 30 feet further down. the inspector guy didn't follow his initial route back to the snowmobile trail that he came in from

could be pre-scouting for future theft in the summer and maybe wanted to see if its bolted down to the pad that it sits on.

the only other disturbance to the pristine snow between the backyard and snowmobile trail is when the neighbor's hyper dog (pointer) gets loose and there ziggy zaggy dog in the snow prints which is maybe once per winter when he sneaks past the owner when getting home from work. these were not that

also on edit - someone doing this is more than likely on a cheap used snowmachine and not a 15-20 k loaded one