Thread: Demko On the Block??

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Demko On the Block??

Hey everyone, so I just read in the ramblings that Demko is rumoured to be on the block. As an owner, this of course, has me excited. Does anyone have any info on this? Does it have any traction?

Thanks in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Demko On the Block??

I think the Canucks are listening, but not shopping. The rumour is Demko is done with management but he's under contract for 3 more seasons after this one, and on a decent cap hit. So there's no rush to move him, but I do think they want to leverage one of the only goalies on the market against multiple teams to see if they can get a good deal.

I think the chances are low he's dealt before March 3rd, and it ticks up slightly in the summer. But still I don't think the Canucks are prepared to move on from him, as it makes contracts like Garland, Miller, Beauvillier, and Kuzmenko not align with their apparent window. So you'd need to do a full teardown, and they just aren't able to do that without a HUGE gamble on dumping Miller with salary retained for 8yrs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

"major surgery"

Problem is Van has no one to replace him in the pipeline, not even close to it now that they sent Mikey Di to Bos. Maybe via trade they acquire a prospect in return from or another deal.

Dobber Sports Star

Goalies typically dont go for alot. Especially ones on long-term deals who are coming off injury / suckitis.

Itd have to be an offer the Canucks cant refuse to move Demko. Hes only 27 and has many productive years ahead of him regardless of his current unhappiness
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

The Great One

So I've heard he might end up in LA which would be mo ey in the bank!!

I don't want to poo poo on your dreams but I also heard Elliott Friedman shut this down pretty quick. He said it has been discussed apparently but realistically it would just leave Vancouver with a gaping hole in net- and they don't even have an incumbent in the pipeline. The closest thing they had to a blue chip goalie prospect was dipietro and they traded him to Boston lol! I actually think fridge is right here- Demko gone would speed up the tank job but replacing him would be a gargantuan task and management has shown that trading and personnel management in general is not their forte lol! If they do its just more whack a mile GMing from a franchise that HAS to know better by now.

Realistically I think this is just like in fantasy- they're kicking tires looking for an overpay and if they find it maybe they justify it with how fast they'll think but I gotta think cooler heads prevail. Demko has shown hes an NHL callibre goaltender and probably a good one. Moving him now creates a huge hole for later, and so far this group has a pretty spotty record when it comes to filling holes (not what you momma said last.... sorry I'm not sure who that was for). They're better off holding but I guess that doesn't mean they will. I'm in the demographic that actually loves the kuzmenko signing and while I think there's some big pieces left for the bonfire in Myers, Miller and Garland- I really feel like Demko is worth more to them as a keeper than as more tank fuel...

Dobber Sports Monster

Here's where the rumour got put back in the headlines (it has been simmering for months though):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-horvat-trade/

"1. Where does this leave Vancouver? Clearly, the Canucks have identified their core — Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Miller, Andrei Kuzmenko. Things can change if someone gives them reason to pivot, but actions speak and these are the key Canucks. (There are conversations about extending Ethan Bear.) Other than that, they’re listening on a few interesting things.

Let’s see how things play out when goaltender Thatcher Demko returns. The fact he’s signed with a bit of term makes him attractive, and teams will want to get a feel for what Vancouver is thinking. Buffalo, Columbus, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh all make sense. The Sabres and Blue Jackets can afford to be patient — they are thinking long-term — but others would need to know he can make a spring 2023 impact, particularly with the price to be paid. Will there be enough runway before March 3 to convince buyers Demko is ready?"

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

Let's hope something materializes. Other than to Columbus ... the Vancouver of the East.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Genius

Big mistake if they deal him. I think he's a very good goalie and is a vital piece of the Canucks present future. With EP, JT and Hughes along with Kuz it seems like a nice core to build around. Having Demko there helps for sure. IF they deal him then I think they waste the upfront talent. Can set them back for years. But who knows, it is the Canucks.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

If management is smart, they can replace Demko if their team is defensively sound pretty easily. I've been a big believer in "throwing crap at a wall and see what sticks" with goaltending unless you have one of the top 5 goalies (Shesterkin, Vas, Sorokin, Oettinger, Helly). Everyone else is team dependent on a per year bases.

I don't think you should include a goaltender into your core of untouchables, unless it's the top guys. But, with the teams core players, they would need to tear it down to the studs if they do trade Demko as the window is completely changed. A Chicago level of tear down. And they can't move Miller. They won't move Pettersson or Hughes. So they essentially need to win a Demko trade to make it worth while.

If they moved Demko, and got rid of OEL and brought in defensively responsible D-men. They can sign/trade for the right guy and have success the right way. The issue is, do you think Rutherford can trade Demko, bring in the right defensemen, AND replace Demko with a feasible replacement?

Over the last few years, think about the new goalies in a system that have succeeded:
    - Kuemper
    - Georgiev
    - Ullmark
    - Swayman
    - Samsonov
    - Murray
    - Vanecek
    - Gustavsson
    - Andersen
    - Raanta
    - Kochetkov
    - Copley

The avg salary of the above goalies is $2,722,292, with the highest paid being Ullmark at $5m.

FWIW, I doubt he gets moved soon, like I said before. And I'm not saying they have too. I'm saying they wouldn't be wrong in thinking he's expendable, if they build a better defensive team. Which they can't because of OEL, Hughes, Miller, and others on the team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll