Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leo Carlsson or Perfetti

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: Leo Carlsson or Perfetti

Thanks for all the responses, good discussion. It sounds like Perfetti is preferred (though maybe not by that much)

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would stick with Perfetti 10/10 times here for the certainty - Perfetti is locked into the top 6 in Winnipeg and has shown a high hockey IQ and is growing his NHL game. He dos look to be at more of a set-up man than a goal scorer but dose seem like a safe bet to score in the 70-80 point range for a long time (with upside for more). Carlsson is a big question mark. What team will he go to - who is in front of him? How soon will he play in the NHL? Will he turn into what Perfetti already is by his age 21 season? There is always risk that he ends up on a roster not getting the time like Holtz or is derailed by injury like Turcotte or will he just fail to meet his draft day hype like Zadina. I stay with Perfetti because he has the upside, the talent and the opportunity.

Dobber Sports Deity

This is the issue trying to compare a non drafted kid (albeit a highly touted one) versus a a highly touted prospect whos already in the NHL. Let's not forget that Perfetti is three years ahead in development compared to Carlsson.

Most draft years, we'd be arguing if Carlsson goes first overall but this draft year is a bit different. Personally I'm a big fan of him and his game. I think he's going to translate well to the NHL in due time but it depends on your patience level. Perfetti is in the NHL and by most accounts, it's been a good year for him. He's not in the Calder conversation but for his rookie year, I'd be happy with it.

No one owns a crystal ball so all this discussion is just conjecture at this point. Those who think this prospect is better than that one headed into the draft are simply guessing and offering their personal opinion based on limited information. Until we even know where Carlsson lands, the book is still out on him and how he's going to develop.

If it's me, I'm sticking with Perfetti because he's there doing what you hope. I also won't be surprised if Carlsson becomes the better NHL player in time, but as I say, he's three years behind Perfetti so to really compare them, we'd need to see three years into the future.

Take what you know; Perfetti. Trading for Carlsson at this point is just trading for draft hype.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Keep Perfetti - once Dubois goes to the Habs he’ll have golden opportunity.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Great One

Tbh michkovs stock is in serious jeopardy right now. I'm im a goal and sog heavy league and I have no issue waiting three years mostly because I don't believe for a second he stays in Russia... and even I have concerns about his game.

First off he tore up the MHL when he went bonkers. As a league to "tear up" its about as unimpressive as you can get. Talent wise its ok but in terms of structured play and playing sound positional hockey its an absolute clown show. I'm not trying to trash the league or his accomplishments there but as potential investors we have to ask if all of those skills are transferable and I don't think that's necessarily the case. Then he went to a bad team in the K and maybe expecting him to carry a squad as an underage was too a bridge too far but he really struggled ther. Hes went to a better team where his production has improved but is not world beating from what I understand.

Then there are issues about how one dimensional he is. If that dimension is scoring like its going out if style its a lot easier to forgive but the truth is that very few pure scorers succeed at the nhl level. Nhl coaches generally don't stand for one way commitment especially from young players. I don't want to overstate this point its just a concern brought up by many prominent scouts and pundits.

Hes also 5"9 and 165. Caufield and Stankoven have girth and weight to them- lol- its extremely difficult for a player with that kind of bmi to make an impact in the pro game. Its possible but more than likely he needs to hit the gym.

This all culminated in him dropping on some of the more well respected lists. I think scouch dropped him to 8 or 9- if memory serves Bob MacKenzie too and that list isn't even his its a compilation list. I'm not here to tell you he's a bust or even that this drop is all that warranted- just to provide a full backdrop to the conversation. He used to be number one with a bullet. I'm not sure thats the case anymore. Scohch was recently gushing that fantilli would have been forst or tied for first in the last 6 or 7 drafts for him. Carlsson plays a very similar game with similarly world beating numbers. Tbh even when you get to the guys after thats usually where most drafts start. Will Smith has better use numbers than Logan Cooley for Frick sakes. An undersized, one dimensional winger, with contract issues- could sink like a stone here. In a vacuum for my leagues format- id love to take a winger who shoots at anything that moves- and I think the franchise upside is still there but his development stalled a little but where everyone else hit all the targets they need to and then some. I'm a fan of this kid but im not sure hes number 2 anymore- I'm not used hes number 6...

- - - Updated - - -

Preferreretti !! See what I did there!! Lmao- so dang clever...